Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

tortex28

Potential starting 5 for next year, does Juwan GoPro?

1 minute ago, tortex28 said:

I can see where you're coming from there. Kind of like a Tyler Hansbrough type

Sent from my SM-J727V using BtownBanners mobile app

Hansbrough was the beneficiary of the best secondary break in the history of college basketball.  He was incredible at the rim run; and his team knew exactly how and where to get him the ball.  But yes..apart from that, Morgan and he are very similar.  A good comparison I wouldn't have thought of.

23 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I have told many kids whom I've coached when they look at schools that may not be where they want them right now...."be the reason."

Phinisee - with the right players around him - is good enough to lead a great basketball team.  With Morgan, Davis, Smith and a cast of solid rotation players?  That's more than good enough to compete for a Big Ten title; and I'm telling you right now, Butler has less talent than that and they beat #1 last week.   What it takes to win a national title has far less to do with a collection of talent than it does chemistry and a team with pieces that fit.  Romeo fits with that group.   Smith just put up 20 on the road and looked like an NBA "4" doing it.  We all know what Morgan is and can be as a senior.  Phinisee is terrific.  He will be at least as good as Yogi was as a freshman....and I think better because I think he's better as a scorer than Yogi was then.  If Romeo looks....he will see he has every bit as much chance to win here as he does at Kansas.

"Be the reason."

This is a great post!

Similar to the other projections, I would go with...
Starting
Phinisee FR
Langford FR/Grad Transfer
Smith SO
Morgan SR
Davis JR/Grad Transfer

Rotation
Durham SO
McRoberts RS SR
Hunter FR
Anderson FR
Thompson RS FR
TBD
Green JR (I struggle to see Green fitting in with CAM's style of play longterm)
Moore SO (Based off what we have seen so far, I really have no idea where to put him????)
Forrester FR (I wouldn't be opposed to Jake RS next year; year of strength training and acclimating to this level)

I don't see Durham getting minutes next year. The new guys are going to eat up his minutes imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

I don't see Durham getting minutes next year. The new guys are going to eat up his minutes imo.

Unless we get a grad transfer PG Phinisee and Durham will see most of the minutes at that spot next year imo.

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I have told many kids whom I've coached when they look at schools that may not be where they want them right now...."be the reason."

Phinisee - with the right players around him - is good enough to lead a great basketball team.  With Morgan, Davis, Smith and a cast of solid rotation players?  That's more than good enough to compete for a Big Ten title; and I'm telling you right now, Butler has less talent than that and they beat #1 last week.   What it takes to win a national title has far less to do with a collection of talent than it does chemistry and a team with pieces that fit.  Romeo fits with that group.   Smith just put up 20 on the road and looked like an NBA "4" doing it.  We all know what Morgan is and can be as a senior.  Phinisee is terrific.  He will be at least as good as Yogi was as a freshman....and I think better because I think he's better as a scorer than Yogi was then.  If Romeo looks....he will see he has every bit as much chance to win here as he does at Kansas.

"Be the reason."

I appreciate this post and think it’s great, but the only thing that matters is what Romeo thinks. It’s really nice for us fans to see/think that, I’m just not sure Romeo sees it that way.

I wouldn't expect Juwan to leave early for the NBA. He very well might get paid to play in a couple yrs, but I don't expect it in the NBA.

If he was to leave IU would really be in tough shape. I like the incoming class, but not a lot of instant impact guys. The grad transfer route is a nice option, but preferably for a complementary piece, not a primary scorer (Starting SG). 

Best case scenario: Juwan is B1G POY, Green figures it out, Romeo does the right thing and Davis gets a little fire. IU wins the B1G and makes a tourney run for the ages. 

More realistic The returning guys learn to consistently play defense at a high-level and the new guys are as advertised and IU makes progress in a still weak conference.  

Starting 5: Phinisee, Green, Smith, Morgan, Davis. Rotation: Durham, Hunter, Thompson, Grad Transfer. 

I wouldn't expect Juwan to leave early for the NBA. He very well might get paid to play in a couple yrs, but I don't expect it in the NBA.
If he was to leave IU would really be in tough shape. I like the incoming class, but not a lot of instant impact guys. The grad transfer route is a nice option, but preferably for a complementary piece, not a primary scorer (Starting SG). 
Best case scenario: Juwan is B1G POY, Green figures it out, Romeo does the right thing and Davis gets a little fire. IU wins the B1G and makes a tourney run for the ages. 
More realistic The returning guys learn to consistently play defense at a high-level and the new guys are as advertised and IU makes progress in a still weak conference.  
 Starting 5: Phinisee, Green, Smith, Morgan, Davis. Rotation: Durham, Hunter, Thompson, Grad Transfer. 

Replace Green with Hunter and your in business.
Wouldnt suprise me if Greens gone.He just doesn't seem to fit Millers style.Plus I think the length and scoring ability Hunter brings will be hard to keep on the bench.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Hansborough averaged 20 points and 9 rebounds over his college career.  Morgan is very much a poor man's Hansborough.

Morgan has far more potential then TH

Replace Green with Hunter and your in business.
Wouldnt suprise me if Greens gone.He just doesn't seem to fit Millers style.Plus I think the length and scoring ability Hunter brings will be hard to keep on the bench.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

Green wont be back imo. Hes a crean type player and doesn't fit the system. If we get a high iq grad transfer at guard then it will be tough for him to get minutes.

13 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Green wont be back imo. Hes a crean type player and doesn't fit the system. If we get a high iq grad transfer at guard then it will be tough for him to get minutes.

We have a high IQ frosh PG coming in. I agree he seems like a bad fit and may not like his future with us going forward.