Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

tortex28

Potential starting 5 for next year, does Juwan GoPro?

Am I the only one that doesn't think Davis' impact will be that great next year? He'll certainly play when we have games against teams with a really big 5 (think Haas this year, Nic Ward, etc.), but I think Archie prefers length and athleticism, and Davis certainly doesn't bring that. 
I'm not trying to criticize someone that's injured, but I think Archie has found something with the mismatches Morgan creates at the 5, and I think his defense works much better with a 5 that's athletic enough to hedge on ball screens and recover. I'm not saying he won't play, but I just don't think he's a great fit for this system, and having both Davis and Morgan kind of reminds of Yogi's senior year.
Remember when Yogi, Blackmon and even Johnson were sort of "taking turns" as the lead guard and the team really struggled. Once Blackmon went down it was officially "Yogi's team" and he and the team thrived. I think the same can be said for Morgan and Davis having to share post touches early this year. I don't wish injury on anyone, and I wish Davis hadn't gone down, but I think the reality is that it allowed Morgan to "own" the paint and he's thrived in that scenario. 

I agree

Sent from my SM-J727V using BtownBanners mobile app

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think we really differ, I just don't live in Indiana so I'm not plugged into who is ready/isn't, so typically lean toward the veteran. I'll definitely take your word for it, and am excited to see Phinisee next year. 

I'm not a fan of highlight tapes, but this one shows his lateral quickness and his explosion.  He is a gifted athlete, though he hasn't always shown his full arsenal.   If you look past the bad competition and focus solely on his skill set, you can see it here.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

DeRon Davis was already a step slow to be a big on defense in Archie’s system.
I am quite sure that a repaired Achilles’ tendon will only exacerbate that dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yup. I agree with Bgleas above. Davis going down has allowed Morgan to thrive and I don’t think they would on the court together.

i like Davis, but he doesn’t fit Archie’s system well. Too slow on defense. It might be in his best interest to look somewhere else for his own benefit. I just don’t see him getting many minutes next year.

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

DeRon Davis was already a step slow to be a big on defense in Archie’s system.
I am quite sure that a repaired Achilles’ tendon will only exacerbate that dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah I agree. It is also pretty strange for a 20 year old to have an achilles injury. Usually that kind of injury happens further down the road.  For Davis to get back to 100% or as close to that as possible it will likely be 9 months. That's full speed and doing everything. That puts the clock around October. That makes me think it's gonna be hard for him to have a productive year next season with his conditioning/quickness already being a negative factor.