Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

DE' RON DAVIS INJURY UPDATES

On February 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Brass Cannon said:

Durham could be a valuable guy off the bench in a few years. His lack of offense is more noticable now because without a second stud to pair with Morgan we need everybody contributing 

His lack of offense is noticible because he totally bricks a number of wide open outside shots.  They are not "shooter misses" but rather bricks.  This is not a slam because I think he might be able to develop (unlike Priller, Galon, April etc etc), but so far he has not shown he can hit wide open shots. Has nothing to do with not having a "second stud" etc., he just plain bricks open shots. He only a freshman, seems to really love IU, and appears to be a good kid. Hope he develops into a great 4 year player .

2 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Loved Chris! McBob type. Great player on D. Was a stopper.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

Exactly. Chris shot 4-19 from 3 in his IU career and about 60% from the line, but it's what he DID DO when he was 7th or 8th man , on a great team, that  was very valuable and endeared him to us. Maybe Al's calling card will be D and Al will become a steady/heady option and be tasked with taking a "hot shooting" guy down a peg or two.

56 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Exactly. Chris shot 4-19 from 3 in his IU career and about 60% from the line, but it's what he DID DO when he was 7th or 8th man , on a great team, that  was very valuable and endeared him to us. Maybe Al's calling card will be D and Al will become a steady/heady option and be tasked with taking a "hot shooting" guy down a peg or two.

If I recall correctly (never guaranteed) his poor free throw shooting against OSU cost us an undefeated conference record one year. Loved the guy and what he brought to the team nevertheless.

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

If I recall correctly (never guaranteed) his poor free throw shooting against OSU cost us an undefeated conference record one year. Loved the guy and what he brought to the team nevertheless.

Luckily, Quinn Buckner didn't do the same.

6 minutes ago, cthomas said:

He was 4-6, so you could be right. Greg Graham's 6 turnover surely didn't help.

Yeah, that wasn't their best effort in an otherwise outstanding season. I just seem to remember Chris had a chance to win at the free throw line and missed. As you mentioned, Buckner's shooting was always an adventure.

29 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Yeah, that wasn't their best effort in an otherwise outstanding season. I just seem to remember Chris had a chance to win at the free throw line and missed. As you mentioned, Buckner's shooting was always an adventure.

Good Memory:

With two seconds remaining in regulation time, Skelton, who finished with 22 points, had hit an off-balance 3-pointer to put Ohio State ahead, 71-70. Indiana then threw the ball the length of the court. But Ohio State's Derek Anderson was called for running over a pick set by Chris Reynolds.

That was the fifth foul on Anderson, who had 20 points.

Reynolds went to the line with two seconds on the clock and hit the first free throw to tie the score, but he missed the second.

The game was the second in a row for Indiana without forward Allan Henderson, who is out indefinitely with an injured right knee.

Ohio State hit its final six shots from the field in regulation, while Indiana missed its last seven.

Seems like our # 1 team riding a 13 game win streak played the last 5 mins of that game like our recent teams have.

His lack of offense is noticible because he totally bricks a number of wide open outside shots.  They are not "shooter misses" but rather bricks.  This is not a slam because I think he might be able to develop (unlike Priller, Galon, April etc etc), but so far he has not shown he can hit wide open shots. Has nothing to do with not having a "second stud" etc., he just plain bricks open shots. He only a freshman, seems to really love IU, and appears to be a good kid. Hope he develops into a great 4 year player .
His shot is terrible. Maybe he can contribute down the road but he should never be a high minute guy.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Chris Reynolds played a lot of minutes without being a good shooter. More than 1 way to skin a cat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He was one of the top rated players in the country and an incredible defender. He was also surrounded by shooters and scorers he could dish to. He did not need to shoot.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The thing I remember about Reynolds, yeah he was a great defender and could find the scorers, but he also knew how to finish.  Outside of rojo, we don't have guards that can consistently run a fast break and finish.  You don't need to be a great shooter to contribute if you know how to finish.

I’m sure some of you read Zach Lowe, who’s such a good hoops writer I recommend him even if you don’t follow much NBA. Well, I thought this passage from his column today was inadvertently relevant to De’ron’s situation:

“[Demarcus] Cousins didn't suffer a regular injury. He suffered perhaps the most devastating injury that can befall a basketball player. As Kevin Pelton has written often, the recovery track record is discouraging -- if a little scattershot. The sample size of players as large as Cousins who have come back to full strength from an Achilles rupture is practically nonexistent. Cousins' conditioning has sometimes been an issue, and it cannot be for any player rallying from this injury.”

Pelton says at the link that the average player returning from such an injury loses 8% of his value at the NBA level. Maybe st the college level the dropoff is less significant, as competition is lesser and younger players presumably recover better, but I’d been cautiously optimistic about Davis returning to form and this throws cold water on the likelihood of that. 

For what it’s worth, Cousins is listed by the Pelicans at 6’11” 270, and IU lists Davis at 6’10” 249. So the concerns about this injury recovery being more difficult for big players is as true for Davis as for Cousins.