Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2021) PF Caleb Furst to Purdue

Saturday morning at 11:30 a.m., Blackhawk Christian takes on Gary 21st Century in regional action.  Game will be streamed at:  http://summitcitysports.com/

Are they playing a real estate company, a tv studio or a high school basketball team?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Regional game a little tougher for Blackhawk Christian than was their sectional games.  They defeated Gary 21st Century 65 - 57.  Furst with 20 points.   Blackhawk vs. Argos tonight for the regional championship.

That’s the 1st time I’ve gotten to watch Furst. He is much better than I expected him to be. I’m  used to young bigs, even highly regarded ones, having a lot of projection to them. Furst has almost none. He runs and changes direction so well. Wow. Nice skill level. I expected him to be a more advanced version of Cody at that age. He is miles better than that. Of course, Soph to Jr is when Cody really took off. But, yeah, that kid is a high priority recruit. 

Regional championship game article-

It wasn't until the end of the fourth quarter that Blackhawk shook off Gary 21st Century in the afternoon semifinal at the Class A Triton regional.

But in Saturday night's championship game, the Braves (26-2) needed just 77 seconds to show who was boss, quickly laying down the hammer in a 77-39 win over Argos (22-5) that clinched a second straight regional title.

Between the opening tip – which was won by the Dragons – and Argos coach Gordon Mosson's timeout called with 6:43 remaining in the first quarter, Braves senior guard Abe Hicks backed an Argos ball-handler over the halfcourt line, forcing a turnover, and sophomore forward Caleb Furst grabbed two rebounds and scored three times, once on a dunk. 

And aside from a brief moment when Argos' Owen Nifong hit back-to-back 3-pointers to pull the Dragons back within 8-6, that stifling defense and inability to stop Furst and his teammates frustrated Argos all night.  

“We talk to them all the time about being humble and being hungry,” Blackhawk coach Marc Davidson said. “That's what I love about this group, they've really embraced that. We're not satisfied with being where we are, but we're hungry for more.”

Furst put together a typically gaudy performance, scoring a game-high 27 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Senior Frank Davidson added 14 points and nine rebounds, and Michael Pulver scored nine points while going after seemingly every loose ball and forcing turnovers.

“Michael Pulver is really the heart and soul of our team,” Marc Davidson said. “I've coached a lot of tough kids, but nobody tougher than Michael. He just brings such grit and toughness and fight. 

“We're used to it because we see it every day at practice, we've seen it for years, but we still appreciate it.”

Aside from Nifong, who hit four of his attempts from behind the arc and finished with 16 points, the Dragons struggled to get anything going on offense. 

“Compared to Gary, (Argos) likes to run their offense, they like to go slower,” Pulver explained. “So we knew we had to pressure them, being in the gaps and denying it in full-court press.”

The Braves led 33-18 at halftime and Pulver scored the first basket of the second half despite being fouled and then completed an old-fashioned 3-point play. Furst emphatically closed the door on any hopes of a rally by scoring seven straight points to put the Braves up 49-25 midway through the third quarter. 

Despite the radical difference in styles between Gary 21st Century (19-7) and Argos, Furst said that he and his teammates felt fully prepared to face each. 

“Coach Davidson, he did a great job preparing us all week,” Furst said. “We spent different days working on every team that we could have played, and he allowed us to be ready for the game.”

Blackhawk, which was knocked in the semistate round of last year's playoffs, will play Lafayette Central Catholic (24-4) in semistate next week. The location of the game will be determined in the coming days. 

FW Blackhawk Christian advanced to next week's 1A championship with a 74 - 51 beat down of Lafayette Central Catholic.  Blackhawk led 22-9 at the end the 1st Q and the game was effectively over.  Furst only played 4 minutes in the 1st Q picking up 2 quick fouls and sat out the rest of the half.  He finished with 8 points on 3-7 FG; 2-3 FT; 12 reb; 1 stl; 3 TO; 1 blk.  5 of his 12 rebounds were off the offensive glass. 

Indy Star  -  (Try not to vomit over all the PUke gushing)

Caleb Furst currently stands 6-foot-10 and weighs around 215 pounds.

The Purdue target doesn’t appear to be done growing or adding more muscle to his already strong frame.

“I hope so, but I don’t know,” Furst said following Saturday’s 23-point victory over third-ranked Central Catholic at the Class A semistate.

If there’s more growth ahead and the Boilermakers end up with the current sophomore at top-ranked Fort Wayne Blackhawk Christian, he’ll join the list of talented big men to join coach Matt Painter’s program.

Furst is projected to play the power forward spot. He's already showing skills of a player who can excel away from the basket and feature a versatile inside-outside game. His game is inching slowly to the perimeter, but he’s nearly unstoppable on the block for the Braves, who face Barr-Reeve in Saturday’s state title game in Indianapolis.

“He can do a lot of things,” Blackhawk Christian coach Marc Davidson said. “He’s capable of shooting 3s. He hasn’t done a lot of that because he’s so good inside.”

Foul trouble prevented Furst from playing more minutes and posting bigger numbers against the Knights.

He picked up two fouls in the game’s first four minutes and remained on the bench until the start of the second half. The Braves didn’t miss him as they outscored Central Catholic 30-17 to build a 25-point halftime advantage.

“I like to play but it was great to see the other guys contributing in their own way,” said Furst, who was averaging 19 points and 10.2 rebounds before the semistate. “I wouldn’t call it frustrating, but it was pretty great to see everyone stepping in their roles.”

Furst finished with eight points and pulled down 12 rebounds. 

The Knights clearly struggled to contain Furst and teammate Frank Davidson, who is 6-7. Their overall size and strength played a big role in setting the early tone in quickly building a double-digit lead.

“We had everyone blanketing him and he was able to kick it out for the wide-open shot,” said CC senior David Schwartz.

Carson Barrett, who usually controls the lane, struggled to get a clean look inside against Furst and Davidson. His best look in the first half was on a 3-pointer the junior hit.

Otherwise, Barrett's vision was blocked by Furst's arms and hands. 

“He’s a big guy,” Barrett said. “He moved well. Long, lanky and strong.”

That’s why college coaches are staying in contact with Furst. He has plenty of upside, not only with his game but his body. Once he fills out and reaches his peak, Furst is bound to be a special player at the college level.

“He’s gotten a lot better in terms of being assertive,” Davidson said. “Last year as a freshman, we had nine seniors and he tended to defer to the seniors. This year, he was better grabbing the bull by the horns as a leader and we’re going to need more from him next year.”

Last April, Purdue became the first school to offer a scholarship. Others followed, including a majority of Big Ten programs along with Butler and Louisville. The interest hasn’t slowed down.

“Coach Painter, he’s a great guy. They’re a real family in the way they all communicate with each other from the coaches to the players. It’s good to see,” Furst said.

Said Davidson: “We love Purdue. We love how they play. We love coach Painter. Caleb’s skill set, I would say is a good fit at Purdue, but he would be a good fit about anywhere.” 

Furst is going to play for the 17U Indy Heat in this year's AAU season so we'll get a far better idea of what he can do facing much better competition than what he's faced most of this past high school season.  And the coach of the Indy Heat is Jason Delaney, Armaan Franklin's high school coach.

17 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Indy Star  -  (Try not to vomit over all the PUke gushing)

Caleb Furst currently stands 6-foot-10 and weighs around 215 pounds.

The Purdue target doesn’t appear to be done growing or adding more muscle to his already strong frame.

“I hope so, but I don’t know,” Furst said following Saturday’s 23-point victory over third-ranked Central Catholic at the Class A semistate.

If there’s more growth ahead and the Boilermakers end up with the current sophomore at top-ranked Fort Wayne Blackhawk Christian, he’ll join the list of talented big men to join coach Matt Painter’s program.

Furst is projected to play the power forward spot. He's already showing skills of a player who can excel away from the basket and feature a versatile inside-outside game. His game is inching slowly to the perimeter, but he’s nearly unstoppable on the block for the Braves, who face Barr-Reeve in Saturday’s state title game in Indianapolis.

“He can do a lot of things,” Blackhawk Christian coach Marc Davidson said. “He’s capable of shooting 3s. He hasn’t done a lot of that because he’s so good inside.”

Foul trouble prevented Furst from playing more minutes and posting bigger numbers against the Knights.

He picked up two fouls in the game’s first four minutes and remained on the bench until the start of the second half. The Braves didn’t miss him as they outscored Central Catholic 30-17 to build a 25-point halftime advantage.

“I like to play but it was great to see the other guys contributing in their own way,” said Furst, who was averaging 19 points and 10.2 rebounds before the semistate. “I wouldn’t call it frustrating, but it was pretty great to see everyone stepping in their roles.”

Furst finished with eight points and pulled down 12 rebounds. 

The Knights clearly struggled to contain Furst and teammate Frank Davidson, who is 6-7. Their overall size and strength played a big role in setting the early tone in quickly building a double-digit lead.

“We had everyone blanketing him and he was able to kick it out for the wide-open shot,” said CC senior David Schwartz.

Carson Barrett, who usually controls the lane, struggled to get a clean look inside against Furst and Davidson. His best look in the first half was on a 3-pointer the junior hit.

Otherwise, Barrett's vision was blocked by Furst's arms and hands. 

“He’s a big guy,” Barrett said. “He moved well. Long, lanky and strong.”

That’s why college coaches are staying in contact with Furst. He has plenty of upside, not only with his game but his body. Once he fills out and reaches his peak, Furst is bound to be a special player at the college level.

“He’s gotten a lot better in terms of being assertive,” Davidson said. “Last year as a freshman, we had nine seniors and he tended to defer to the seniors. This year, he was better grabbing the bull by the horns as a leader and we’re going to need more from him next year.”

Last April, Purdue became the first school to offer a scholarship. Others followed, including a majority of Big Ten programs along with Butler and Louisville. The interest hasn’t slowed down.

“Coach Painter, he’s a great guy. They’re a real family in the way they all communicate with each other from the coaches to the players. It’s good to see,” Furst said.

Said Davidson: “We love Purdue. We love how they play. We love coach Painter. Caleb’s skill set, I would say is a good fit at Purdue, but he would be a good fit about anywhere.” 

We can clearly see in which direction his coach is pushing him.

Good evening session from a pair of Indiana guys.

6’9 southpaw Caleb Furst got to show more face-up versatility, made tough catches & strong finishes in transition.

Khristian Lander was seeing the game very well. Good PnR reads & quick decisions with ball.

Adam Finkelstein

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners