Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

Jalen Wyndham averaged 36% from 3-point range this past year. That was Romeo Langford's average his senior year in high school.

Windham has better shooting mechanics than Romeo and he shot 46% from three for spiece in the EYBL last summer. He can shoot the ball very well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm all for getting guys who can flat out play. I'm not convinced Wyndham can do that at Big 10 level. But perhaps he can. Personally I'd rather give a scholarship to a highly rated guy who can flat out play. Maybe at this point, we can't land such a guy.

3 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I'm all for getting guys who can flat out play. I'm not convinced Wyndham can do that at Big 10 level. But perhaps he can. Personally I'd rather give a scholarship to a highly rated guy who can flat out play. Maybe at this point, we can't land such a guy.

What is your definition of flat out playing? Playing on a team that makes the tourney? He was headed to Georgia St who made the tourney and we didn't. He's not Brooks but I don't think he is a reach either. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What is your definition of flat out playing? Playing on a team that makes the tourney? He was headed to Georgia St who made the tourney and we didn't. He's not Brooks but I don't think he is a reach either. 

This guy also said that he is the same level of shooter as Romeo because they had the same percentage in high school so he's just down on IU showing interest in the kid. Unfortunately that's the case of stats not telling the whole story on a player. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Kenny Goins was a walk-on and his years at MSU turned out to be OK. IU fans crack me up sometimes. Windham can play at this level he just needs a chance. He will be hungry if he comes here.

As I’ve said I’m not down on the kid. But we must have seen him play a dozen times before and showed no interest.  Has me very concerned. 

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Indiana basically has 100,000 coaches the know how to evaluate talent and and can run this program better then the actual coach. Now people are telling me Bennett is a proven talent evaluator as to why it’s fair for him to take a chance on a lower ranked kids. All I’ve heard from most on here was how overrated of a coach Bennett was for losing to a 16 seed and that his system was boring and couldn’t make a final 4. Now he is a proven talent evaluator. What a difference a year makes. Lol. How long do you think it takes before an Indiana coach gets that coveted stamp of approval from the fans before he can run his program and recruit whoever he wants? Pure entertainment following these threads

I’ve never criticized Bennett look at the old coaching search thread. I wanted to back a brinks truck up to his house and then hit it with a second brinks truck. 

My definition of flat out play is a guy who has the ability to compete at a high level, the drive to develop critical basketball skills, and a motor that won't quit.  Victor Oladipo is a good example. Not highly rated but had ability and the drive that allowed him to reach his potential. I saw him in high school and at that time he wasn't even the 2nd best player on a very good Dematha team. But he was a hell of a defensive player even then (though he didn't do anything on the offensive end except dunk). Crean saw something in him that many other schools did not. Maybe Wyndham has the potential. I don't know. I've never seen him. My sense is that rankings shouldn't be taken as gospel, but more often than not they are a good guide to how a player will perform at the next level. There are exceptions of course. We'll see. If IU coaches having seen him play think he can help improve the outside shooting, I'm all for it.

Edited by Honkyman

As I’ve said I’m not down on the kid. But we must have seen him play a dozen times before and showed no interest.  Has me very concerned. 

Recruiting targets change. At the time they were watching brooks and TJd and maybe he wasn’t a possibility. At the time they were evaluating different guards during that summer(Newman,Franklin, Mann, Ramsey, Harris...and others). Those targets went elsewhere and he went elsewhere. He improved as much as any player in the 2019 class during the year and scouts have said if he wasn’t committed that some high majors would of come calling. Things happen and hunter leaves Georgia St and he opens back up. Now since he improved over the season teams are going to come knocking and IU happens to be one of them. Recruiting never stops IU is going to take a look and go from there. He won’t be the last guard this staff looks at this summer. If buzz goes to A&M I expect IU to look at Harris again.

I’ve never criticized Bennett look at the old coaching search thread. I wanted to back a brinks truck up to his house and then hit it with a second brinks truck. 

I remember you being a Bennett supporter along with me. I just didn’t agree with the to be fair Bennett is a proven talent evaluator as a stance against Miller being criticized for talent evaluation. To be a proven evaluator you have to start somewhere. Even if he miss evaluated players in his first cycle he still got to go after the players he feels will he’s his program long term. Coaches miss evaluate all the time. I thought Bennett got a player in Jared Reuter a couple years ago when they beat IU out for him. He ended up transferring to George Mason

6 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

My definition of flat out play is a guy who has the ability to compete at a high level, the drive to develop critical basketball skills, and a motor that won't quit.  Victor Oladipo is a good example. Not highly rated but had ability and the drive that allowed him to reach his potential. I saw him in high school and at that time he wasn't even the 2nd best player on a very good Dematha team. But he was a hell of a defensive player even then (though he didn't do anything on the offensive end except dunk). Crean saw something in him that many other schools did not. Maybe Wyndham has the potential. I don't know. I've never seen him. My sense is that rankings shouldn't be taken as gospel, but more often than not they are a good guide to how a player will perform at the next level. There are exceptions of course. We'll see. If IU coaches having seen him play think he can help improve the outside shooting, I'm all for it.

I’m all for bringing in the kid if the staff feels he meets a need and can play.  I have ZERO idea if he is any good. My only hesitation (just one data point) was not his low ranking but that other college coaches saw him play on TJD’s AAU team, saw him shoot, play hard-nosed, but for some reason none of the power conference coaches  offered him a ride. No decent offers is not the end of the world but that one data point (out of many) led to a little concern/hesitation. If he has improved, fits a need, etc let’s sign him.

PS. Oladipo’s low ranking is often used as an example. He certainly over achieved, in a huge way, but he was also evaluated by coaches while in high school that resulted in offers from Maryland, Marquette, Notre Dame, Missouri, Xavier etc. 

22 minutes ago, BlueDevil2aHoosier said:

This place has been nothing but a ***** fest. Place is up in arms cuz IU didn’t get Brooks and now “recruiting is dying off” after 1 guy says no. Place also wants the 3-4 year program guys but ***** because IU is trying to get 3-4 year program guys or the guys they are trying to get aren’t good enough.

One of my favorite takedowns of fandom in a long time. Inarguably true and done in only 3 sentences. 

Bravo

Indiana basically has 100,000 coaches the know how to evaluate talent and and can run this program better then the actual coach. Now people are telling me Bennett is a proven talent evaluator as to why it’s fair for him to take a chance on a lower ranked kids. All I’ve heard from most on here was how overrated of a coach Bennett was for losing to a 16 seed and that his system was boring and couldn’t make a final 4. Now he is a proven talent evaluator. What a difference a year makes. Lol. How long do you think it takes before an Indiana coach gets that coveted stamp of approval from the fans before he can run his program and recruit whoever he wants? Pure entertainment following these threads

It is amazing isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Also worth noting:
Top 100 ranked freshmen minutes logged so far during the tourney  for teams in this year‘s final four? 
Zero.

More importantly to look at though as we talk about being patient and building something, there are a lot of top 100 kids on these teams that started as freshmen and are now upperclassmen. It’s not like these kids all rode the pine for years and then stepped in as juniors and seniors to take their team to the final four.

So, when people say that it is important to find kids hat contribute right away, I don’t think it suggests they think those kids will take us to a final four right away but those are the types that do it as upperclassmen

41 minutes ago, BlueDevil2aHoosier said:

This place has been nothing but a ***** fest. Place is up in arms cuz IU didn’t get Brooks and now “recruiting is dying off” after 1 guy says no. Place also wants the 3-4 year program guys but ***** because IU is trying to get 3-4 year program guys or the guys they are trying to get aren’t good enough.

Absolutely.  I'm laughing at all the different comments and I'm laughing at myself because we are such a fickle bunch of IU fans.  I think we're likely more fickle than Elizabeth Taylor was in picking her 8 husbands. 

49 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

How long do you think it takes before an Indiana coach gets that coveted stamp of approval from the fans before he can run his program and recruit whoever he wants? 

When we are relevant again and start going to the tourney on a regular basis :) 

EDIT: Maybe it would take IU winning the tourney 8 years in a row :)  Even then, there would probably be complaints about the 9th year.....

I'd have to think that Archie has more experience (and success) building teams with guys like this than highly ranked guys.

You have to have faith in the staff for both recruiting players and getting them to play at a high level.