Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

Obviously, you want to have 3-4 scholarships for 2019 but I don't see IU landing a ton of 5* players. We might be in great shape but we're not landing 3-4 5* recruits in one class.

Going into 2019 season
Seniors: Davis, Green, Jones
Juniors: Moore, Smith, Durham
Sophs: Thompson, Hunter, Anderson, Phinisee,

I wouldn't take another point in 2018 unless it was Garland. It's safe to say RP will be our point.

We could use a SG. If we land Romeo that helps in a few ways. Star potential for a year, clears a scholarship for 2018, and allows other guards another year to develop.

We're pretty set on wings with Smith, Hunter, and Anderson. We won't take another in 2018. 2019 is different story though.

We're still in need of bigs. If Davis can stay out of foul trouble and stay healthy we're good. Hopefully Thompson can back him up with Moore playing the 4. I'd take a big if one that fit in is available. (Possibly Forrester, definitely Brown)

Summary: Take Romeo and possibly a big. That will give us at least a few scholarships in 2019. If we have a transfer it'll be 3-4.

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Obviously, you want to have 3-4 scholarships for 2019 but I don't see IU landing a ton of 5* players. We might be in great shape but we're not landing 3-4 5* recruits in one class.

Going into 2019 season
Seniors: Davis, Green, Jones
Juniors: Moore, Smith, Durham
Sophs: Thompson, Hunter, Anderson, Phinisee,

I wouldn't take another point in 2018 unless it was Garland. It's safe to say RP will be our point.

We could use a SG. If we land Romeo that helps in a few ways. Star potential for a year, clears a scholarship for 2018, and allows other guards another year to develop.

We're pretty set on wings with Smith, Hunter, and Anderson. We won't take another in 2018. 2019 is different story though.

We're still in need of bigs. If Davis can stay out of foul trouble and stay healthy we're good. Hopefully Thompson can back him up with Moore playing the 4. I'd take a big if one that fit in is available. (Possibly Forrester, definitely Brown)

Summary: Take Romeo and possibly a big. That will give us at least a few scholarships in 2019. If we have a transfer it'll be 3-4.

I really like the looks of that team going into 2019. That's a really solid base to add a couple of 5 stars.

I have been watching IU basketball since the '50's. I think Coach Miller is the real deal. Until I see otherwise, I'll trust how he chooses to build our team. I think he has a plan and I think he knows who fits in that plan. It may take a few years, but I think we will all be pleased with the result.

17 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2019/order/true

Wiseman is number 1

Hurt. 5

Watford 10

Brooks 21

TJD 39

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Also, Igehon at #46 overall. Five guys we have legit chances with in the top 50!

In some of the other threads related to our '18 recruiting, some have expressed a concern at potentially having  only 2 schollys available for the '19 class.   I don't think it's major concern:

1.  Archie is going to be far better at roster management than his predecessor.  He knows the '19 class is important and I don't see him boxing himself in with only 2 open schollys.  I'm a firm believer that he already has a very strong hunch at who will still be on the roster at this time next summer.

2.  Morgan or Davis could go pro.

3.  One of this year's sophomores (IMO Jones or Green) will not see the court as much as they expected and will transfer.

4.  One (maybe 2) of this year's freshmen will transfer because of playing time or simply don't like Archie's overall style of play.  Or, they see who's coming in that will push them down the bench.

Archie went hard to keep Durham, Smith and Moore in the fold but I don't think it necessarily means he sees them all playing future key roles in his style of play.  But had he not worked his butt off to keep their commitments who was he going to go out and find to replace them on such short notice?  We saw how that worked in the Crean era.  Archie kept 3 quality players for this season and could immediately start focusing on the '18 recruits without spending excessive time scrounging to fill out the '17-'18 roster.

Long story short - we'll have more than 2 scholly's available for the '19 class.

43 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In some of the other threads related to our '18 recruiting, some have expressed a concern at potentially having  only 2 schollys available for the '19 class.   I don't think it's major concern:

1.  Archie is going to be far better at roster management than his predecessor.  He knows the '19 class is important and I don't see him boxing himself in with only 2 open schollys.  I'm a firm believer that he already has a very strong hunch at who will still be on the roster at this time next summer.

2.  Morgan or Davis could go pro.

3.  One of this year's sophomores (IMO Jones or Green) will not see the court as much as they expected and will transfer.

4.  One (maybe 2) of this year's freshmen will transfer because of playing time or simply don't like Archie's overall style of play.  Or, they see who's coming in that will push them down the bench.

Archie went hard to keep Durham, Smith and Moore in the fold but I don't think it necessarily means he sees them all playing future key roles in his style of play.  But had he not worked his butt off to keep their commitments who was he going to go out and find to replace them on such short notice?  We saw how that worked in the Crean era.  Archie kept 3 quality players for this season and could immediately start focusing on the '18 recruits without spending excessive time scrounging to fill out the '17-'18 roster.

Long story short - we'll have more than 2 scholly's available for the '19 class.

I think more than anything this post, which I agree with mostly, demonstrates how thin of a line IU is walking- at least in the immediate situation.

1) I think there will be attrition- but I don't know it. 

2) Everything I know about recruiting suggests the recruiting landscape will change for '19's- but do I know it? No. Both of these assumptions suggest Archie and co. will be fine regardless of Forrester.

On the flip-side....

1) As good as of situation as it is to be in... "running" someone out has particular consequences. This stuff becomes a little more personal than I would ever care for but for one- he essentially re-recruited these guys (I don't care about it, but I don't influence recruits)

2) Not taking a more talented and impactful player in a class a year later due to lack of numbers has particular and immediate consequences.

I should know a lot more about Forrester. He's from here. He was also stuck behind and out shadowed by serious talent at Westtown. Anyways, it seems Archie and Co. are confident in their evaluations of him. There's also an idea that Forrester projects to be more impactful when IU is ready to be a contender and, thus, more important than the shiny one/done. I'll buy in right now, far too many variables. But it's complicated.

Who did he play for during AAU? Was he still behind a bunch of talented guys? I would hope that's the case because besides his highlights being medicore, his stats weren't that great either.

I think Coach Miller will do the best he can with the hand he has been dealt. I also think he wants to get his guys here as soon as possible. There may be some hard decisions to be made between the end of this year and the start of next. Though he hasn't said it, I believe he knows that a talent upgrade is needed and intends to provide it. He will take the best talent he can get at this point and give everyone an opportunity to play their way in or out. What we need, and what I think we have, is a somewhat compassionate hard-@$$ capable of making the decisions we need to get where we want to go.

8 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Who did he play for during AAU? Was he still behind a bunch of talented guys? I would hope that's the case because besides his highlights being medicore, his stats weren't that great either.

Played on PSA Cardinals which also featured Cole Anthony and Hameir Wright.  

Jake Forrester '18 (PF) - PSA Cardinals       HAS IU OFFER  
Date Pts. FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks.
Avg 8.1 55%   67%   33%   4 0 1 0 1
# Gms 15                      

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Played on PSA Cardinals which also featured Cole Anthony and Hameir Wright.  

Jake Forrester '18 (PF) - PSA Cardinals       HAS IU OFFER  
Date Pts. FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks.
Avg 8.1 55%   67%   33%   4 0 1 0 1
# Gms 15                      

For a guy that supposedly has a high motor, those rebounding numbers aren't very encouraging.