Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

We should get at least one "big wing" but more than likely we'll get two.  We have the possibility to land 2 top 20ish players in this class.  I'd like to get a elite level pg to play a year or two so our 2018 pg recruit gets another year to develop.

• pg - Anthony would be a huge get
  • "big wing" - 2 of Hurt, Watford, Brooks
  • big - Wiseman would be a huge get too

Brooks and Watford are necessities. After that, there's Hurt, Wiseman, Jackson-Davis and Anthony. I'm not against a 5* PG if Archie can somehow land Cole Anthony. I just don't think he will though. My perfect scenario class would be Brooks, Watford, Hurt and Jackson-Davis. That's possibly the #1 class if that comes to fruition

Anthony

Hurt

Wiseman

Watford

Brooks

Cockburn

Stewart

TJD

Alonzo Gaffney

Overall need and want:

1a. Anthony

1.b Hurt

2. Wiseman

3. Brooks

4. Watford

5. TJD

6. Gaffney

7. Cockburn

8. Stewart

Any combination of these 3 guys would be astounding.

My prediction on our odds:

1. TJD

2. Watford

3. Brooks

4. Hurt

Then longer shots

5. Gaffney

6. Cockburn

7. Stewart

8. Wiseman

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yep. We are in a great early position with some good players. Very early, but this is the expectation/hope for me next summer we are staring down a list similar to this next summer. Players will come and go, but it seems we will be in it til the end for at least the majority of your top 4 projected prediction list.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If we assume Davis stays and a PG commits for '18, then the Hurt/Watford/Brooks targets make sense. If '18 PG or someone currently on the roster is ready to start by then they can live without a point, but it's too early for us to know that (the coaches have more info, of course).

I don't assume De'Ron is going anywhere but as constructed he's the only 5 on the roster. Obviously if he improves dramatically he could go pro after his junior year, though now it seems a long shot. In that case you really need a 5. I think Moore's gonna be good but I think he's best deployed as a 4.

I like our chances best with Brooks and TJD. I wonder what our chances are with Watford? Avery Johnson has been recruiting at a pretty high level at Bama. Think they may be our biggest competition. I think Wiseman is a long shot and Hurt seems like he doesn't really have a favorite at the moment but we have as good a chance as any with him. 

I don't see any scenario where we take more than 2 of Hurt, Watford, and Brooks. They're all basically the same position and extremely talented. If by some chance we land all three and one is willing to come off the bench...

Phinisee could end up being a great point but I'm not sure he'll be starting quality point on a FF team. If we land 2 of Hurt, Watford, and Brooks we should be Final Four quality.

Is TJD more of a big or more of a wing?

I don't see any scenario where we take more than 2 of Hurt, Watford, and Brooks. They're all basically the same position and extremely talented. If by some chance we land all three and one is willing to come off the bench...

Phinisee could end up being a great point but I'm not sure he'll be starting quality point on a FF team. If we land 2 of Hurt, Watford, and Brooks we should be Final Four quality.

Is TJD more of a big or more of a wing?

If we were UK type one and done factory you take all three if possible.

Hurt can play 4 or 5.
Brooks can play 3 or 4
Watford can play 2-4.

All could start 3-5.

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My prediction on our odds:

1. TJD
2. Watford
3. Brooks
4. Hurt
Then longer shots
5. Gaffney
6. Cockburn
7. Stewart
8. Wiseman

You think Watford is more likely than Brooks?

Everything I've seen and read makes it seem TJD and Brooks are the most likely commits for 2019, and I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks commits before the end of the upcoming basketball season.

36 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If we were UK type one and done factory you take all three if possible.

Hurt can play 4 or 5.
Brooks can play 3 or 4
Watford can play 2-4.

All could start 3-5.

We're not though and hopefully never will be.

Is Hurt starting over Davis?

We have quite a few wings with Smith, Hunter, and Anderson.  I don't see a lineup of Watford, Brooks, Hurt 2-4.  I could see 2 of them starting at the 3-4 ahead of Moore and Thompson and alongside a Smith or Hunter at the 2. 

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I really think we need a big in this class too. Wiseman or Cockburn would be great. Davis will be a senior and a year overlap would do wonders.

I agree I think it would be very beneficial to get a big. There is no guarantee Davis is here for four years either. I think TJD is that guy. You pair him with Race and then you add 2 more from the best available (Brooks, Watford, Hurt, Anthony/Wiseman). 

Edited by TXHoosierDaddy

We're not though and hopefully never will be.
Is Hurt starting over Davis?
We have quite a few wings with Smith, Hunter, and Anderson.  I don't see a lineup of Watford, Brooks, Hurt 2-4.  I could see 2 of them starting at the 3-4 ahead of Moore and Thompson and alongside a Smith or Hunter at the 2. 

I think you are right. I think if we get Hurt, he starts for us. Probably at the 4 with Davis at the 5. It's hard for me to project that far ahead, but All these guys we are talking about (wisemen, watford, Brooks, Hurt, Anthony) are likely starters as freshmen.

You think Watford is more likely than Brooks?
Everything I've seen and read makes it seem TJD and Brooks are the most likely commits for 2019, and I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks commits before the end of the upcoming basketball season.

Just a tad. Brooks is interesting. I hope you are right. I love his skill set.

As for Watford, he just seems to genuinely love IU and the attention the staff is giving him. The negative is the family might want a closer school, and a different legacy. Idk.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Just a tad. Brooks is interesting. I hope you are right. I love his skill set.

As for Watford, he just seems to genuinely love IU and the attention the staff is giving him. The negative is the family might want a closer school, and a different legacy. Idk.

Well good.  I honestly haven't followed Watford's recruitment at all so I have no idea what our chances are here.  We'll have to get him on campus during the season for me to feel like we're a serious contender.  Although I'm sure he's been on campus a few times in his life.

Brooks, Watford and Jackson-Davis is the most likely class. If more, Hurt could very well go to IU as well

If it stays like that it would be awesome. I wouldn't be surprised to see new names on the list over the next year. That would be the the best class at IU in almost 30 years. Hopefully Archie can do that.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

If it stays like that it would be awesome. I wouldn't be surprised to see new names on the list over the next year. That would be the the best class at IU in almost 30 years. Hopefully Archie can do that.

I have complete faith that Archie can pull that class

25 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I have complete faith that Archie can pull that class

That is the real test for AM regarding pulling in elite talent. He's already brought in a solid 2018 class. 2019 certainly has real promise and we will see what happens with Langford. 

I think you are right. I think if we get Hurt, he starts for us. Probably at the 4 with Davis at the 5. It's hard for me to project that far ahead, but All these guys we are talking about (wisemen, watford, Brooks, Hurt, Anthony) are likely starters as freshmen.

My ideal strategy for bigs would be a two year offset of talented bigs. (This ensure we never have a Hartman playing as our center.) I would like to see a third "big" either as a developing piece or as a versatile 4/5 that could play alongside another big.

If we could land Wiseman or Cockburn we would be off by a year but have Thompson would could get some run as a backup small ball 5 next year.