Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

8 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Too bad he is a cancer and not coming back next year. Wait, scratch that all of a sudden

Pretty crazy how this board went from being certain he was at the root of all of our chemistry problems and that there was zero percent chance he came back to now talking about how important he is.

Not the entire board, but I get what you are saying.  Some of us actually were high on Green (no pun) the entire time.  I think he will have a VERY GOOD senior year, and will leave IU a favorite of many fans.

7 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Too bad he is a cancer and not coming back next year. Wait, scratch that all of a sudden

Pretty crazy how this board went from being certain he was at the root of all of our chemistry problems and that there was zero percent chance he came back to now talking about how important he is.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Strange, huh?

It wasn't the whole board though, just a handful of very vocal posters.  One bashes him every chance he gets.  One posted a ridiculous rant after a sideline show.  That rant got a lot of posters fired up even though video shows his rant was incorrect. 

I personally find it embarrassing when posters bash kids.  I hope Devonte Green has an all conference season.  I've liked him since he signed his loi

8 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Yeah, pretty crazy huh? Am I the only one who thinks this? I never said one way or the other if he was coming back or not. But I tell you what, I sure read a lot of comments on here about how he's gone at season's end. Funny how this one turned out

Is it possible that he was a problem but got things turned around, both in the locker room and on the court? I don’t know the real reasons or the inner workings of what was going on BUT (!) there was definitely some issues. I too hope for a monster senior year where Green puts previous seasons behind him and leads IU to a great season. He has it in him but he’ll need to be consistent. The reported open bashing of teammates could actually help the team if turned into careful criticism to elevate his teammates. It’ll be interesting to see who ends up leading this team.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Is it possible that he was a problem but got things turned around, both in the locker room and on the court? I don’t know the real reasons or the inner workings of what was going on BUT (!) there was definitely some issues. I too hope for a monster senior year where Green puts previous seasons behind him and leads IU to a great season. He has it in him but he’ll need to be consistent. The reported open bashing of teammates could actually help the team if turned into careful criticism to elevate his teammates. It’ll be interesting to see who ends up leading this team.

I think this is a fair point. It could very well be that he wanted teammates to do something differently. Also very possible that while the coaches would have agreed in general his approach to fixing that problem was the incorrect approach. That might have caused him some locker room friction with players and coaches

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Strange, huh?

It wasn't the whole board though, just a handful of very vocal posters.  One bashes him every chance he gets.  One posted a ridiculous rant after a sideline show.  That rant got a lot of posters fired up even though video shows his rant was incorrect. 

I personally find it embarrassing when posters bash kids.  I hope Devonte Green has an all conference season.  I've liked him since he signed his loi

I was one of the posters who chimed in and spoke about his sideline incident (based on what I saw in person), but was vocal that I wanted and hoped he would succeed here. No one can deny that when he is playing with confidence, protecting the ball and making smart decisions, he is an ABSOLUTE asset to this team. But... it is also hard to deny that there weren't times where his play absolutely had a negative impact on the game with repeated mistakes, ill shots, poor decisions with the ball, etc. Were there some openly calling for him to transfer? Yes. Are those same people allowed to change their opinion based on a player progressing, getting better and ultimately helping the team? Also, Yes! I understand the desire to call out those who were negative, but wouldn't it be a positive that that those who were once calling for a player to transfer are now in that players corner? It means the player is growing, learning and having a positive impact on the team. With that being said, I also agree that we should not "bash" kids, but I hope we all realize that that there is a difference between criticizing play/performance and making personal and unwarranted attacks or "bashes". This is a basketball board, where player performance will be discussed, both positive and negative, and that is where the discussion/criticism should be focused. 

From the intel I have gotten, him and CAM have not always seen eye to eye over the past two seasons. With that being said, the way he finished the season last year was impressive, and this team will be drastically better if he can carry that into the upcoming season. I also hope he has an all conference year, heck all-american year Josh!

Edited by monskisprodigy

I hope this was the case. If you guys went to any games last year it was pretty evident for a while there were some things going on with specific players. I hope we have turned a corner because we could really use them this year. I think most agreed and said as much they hoped he had after his stretch at the end of the season. We need scorers.

15 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

He is important because weve failed to add any guards this spring. Does getting hot the last few games of the season translate to a stellar senior year for DG? Not holding my breath.

31 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

SMU’s Jimmy Whitt enters transfer portal as a grad transfer. Crean recruiting followers will remember this name. Averaged 12/6

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He can do everything but shoot. At this point I feel another ball handler is a must add so this would be a great addition imo. 

10 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

He can do everything but shoot. At this point I feel another ball handler is a must add so this would be a great addition imo. 

Really like a lot about Whitt. Tough kid, can really defend, takes care of the ball, good passer. But not only can he not shoot, he won’t shot. Turns down open looks. I doubt he wants to be a 20 min/gm backup pg/defensive stopper, though on a good team that’s probably his role.

Really like a lot about Whitt. Tough kid, can really defend, takes care of the ball, good passer. But not only can he not shoot, he won’t shot. Turns down open looks. I doubt he wants to be a 20 min/gm backup pg/defensive stopper, though on a good team that’s probably his role.

Sounds somewhat similar to Chris Reynolds, who I really liked and played with a team of good shooters.

33 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

Sounds somewhat similar to Chris Reynolds, who I really liked and played with a team of good shooters.

That’s a pretty fair comp. Whitt’s bigger, more physical, doesn’t have Reynolds’ elite  lateral movement. But, yeah, that’s about right.

It's amazing to me when college guys can't shoot. These guys are all crazy athletes, so it's hard to understand not being able to at least be decent on an open jumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

It's amazing to me when college guys can't shoot. These guys are all crazy athletes, so it's hard to understand not being able to at least be decent on an open jumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw Whitt a couple of times in HS and, while he didn’t shoot much from distance, his shot wasn’t broken. He had a fairly clean action. He could make an open look and he was a solid FT shooter. Didn’t see any reason to think his range wouldn’t extend. It’s a mess now. The ball’s on his palm and he has this weird, sort of shot put action. Makes Xavier Simpson’s stroke look good by comparison.