Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

9 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it's that straightforward. It certainly seemed like LSU wanted to fire Will Wade, and I'm guessing the relationship between Wade and the AD is pretty awkward. They're going to need to have clear proof to show that Wade was cheating. Yes, we all know that the statements on the wiretap obviously indicate that Wade was cheating, but unless they can actually prove that money was delivered, it's probably not enough to hold up in court.

There lawyers will determine if their proof is good enough to win in court but no coach in his right mind is going to even let that info get entered into evidence. 

Another big one for Memphis. How is penny going to make this roster work. My count might be wrong but doesn't this signing make it 18 players on scholarship

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They are at 13 and one of those players is Penny’s son.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

57 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

They are at 13 and one of those players is Penny’s son.

They had a full 13 man scholarship roster last year not including Jayden who is a walkon. 5 graduated and two transferred to open up 7 spots. They’ve now got 8 coming in and allegedly aren’t done (although I can’t see all his commits sticking around if he continues to take more guys). So as of today, Penny has to convince one more kid to leave just to take all the commitments he has. 

They had a full 13 man scholarship roster last year not including Jayden who is a walkon. 5 graduated and two transferred to open up 7 spots. They’ve now got 8 coming in and allegedly aren’t done (although I can’t see all his commits sticking around if he continues to take more guys). So as of today, Penny has to convince one more kid to leave just to take all the commitments he has. 

His son is on scholarship. He redshirted this year
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2018/09/05/penny-hardaway-jayden-hardaway-suggests-he-redshirt/1208583002/

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, do we pull a rabbit out of a hat and get Trendon Watford?

I wouldn’t be as shocked as some others.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Anybody have any intel in this one at all? By all accounts, it seems extremely unlikely... has there been any kind of Crystal Ball action or anything though?

16 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Anybody have any intel in this one at all? By all accounts, it seems extremely unlikely... has there been any kind of Crystal Ball action or anything though?

Its been heavily weighted to LSU since Wade has been back in the fold. 94% to LSU since Memphis started targeting other guys. From everything out there it seems 1) LSU 2) Bama 3) IU

7 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Its been heavily weighted to LSU since Wade has been back in the fold. 94% to LSU since Memphis started targeting other guys. From everything out there it seems 1) LSU 2) Bama 3) IU

Someone help me understand why a kid of Watford’s caliber, and given how widely respected his family is, would rather play on a team where the coach is on tape admitting to paying kids while not getting paid than follow his brother to IU? He knows his future teammates are getting and/or had received money. He knows there’s a chance his coach could be fired before he steps on campus if the NCAA finds a way to prove it. 

Who here would take a job at a company that is known for breaking laws and shady, dealings while you know for a fact that your coworkers are getting extra benefits you won’t get because you have moral fiber? If he indeed is not coming to IU, one of two things (in my opinion) are true, he’s going to stay home and play at Alabama or he’s been bought and the Watford’s aren’t who we thought they were.

I hate to even say that but none of us would have been ok with Romeo keeping Louisville on his final list through commitment. It would have been a very bad look and Watford keeping ties with LSU at this stage is exactly that whether he chooses them or not. 

2 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Someone help me understand why a kid of Watford’s caliber, and given how widely respected his family is, would rather play on a team where the coach is on tape admitting to paying kids while not getting paid than follow his brother to IU? He knows his future teammates are getting and/or had received money. He knows there’s a chance his coach could be fired before he steps on campus if the NCAA finds a way to prove it. 

Who here would take a job at a company that is known for breaking laws and shady, dealings while you know for a fact that your coworkers are getting extra benefits you won’t get because you have moral fiber? If he indeed is not coming to IU, one of two things (in my opinion) are true, he’s going to stay home and play at Alabama or he’s been bought and the Watford’s aren’t who we thought they were.

I hate to even say that but none of us would have been ok with Romeo keeping Louisville on his final list through commitment. It would have been a very bad look and Watford keeping ties with LSU at this stage is exactly that whether he chooses them or not. 

There's a disturbing trend with these kids waiting so long these days. Its not just the dominoes of who stays/who goes to the draft. I really think it is also the changing landscape of college bball where kids are waiting for the 'best offer and there is a lot of back and forth on that front. I completely agree who would want to play for a guy who almost just got fired and basically admitted on wiretap to being heavily involved in swinging deals. The list of Memphis, LSU, Bama...just feels dirty. 

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I would put the over/under on the odds that Hardaway and Memphis are getting their recruits by legal means at zero.  And I'd take tge under.

Yeah, that’s definitely a curious case. I could see the NCAA going after them to send a message to everyone else. They don’t want to bust UK, Kansas, UNC and Duke. But Memphis means nothing to them, has a record thanks to Cal and Penny is a newcomer who hasn’t paid his dues. He is primed to be made an example of. 

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I would put the over/under on the odds that Hardaway and Memphis are getting their recruits by legal means at zero.  And I'd take tge under.

Yes, he's barely been at the school already is bringing in the 1 class. Sounds a lot like Will Wade last year and we all know now how that was possible. The AD's timing on resigning was weird and we know Penny knows the AAU circle really well since he came from there. A lot of dirtiness in the air. 

Yes, he's barely been at the school already is bringing in the 1 class. Sounds a lot like Will Wade last year and we all know now how that was possible. The AD's timing on resigning was weird and we know Penny knows the AAU circle really well since he came from there. A lot of dirtiness in the air. 
No need for a money trail that coaching staff has more then enough money to get who they want. Tax write offs for business trips

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Well I can think of the obvious answer.

I bet more kids are getting paid than we would like to admit.

7 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Well I can think of the obvious answer.

I bet more kids are getting paid than we would like to admit.

The purists don’t want to admit it but I bet you’re right. We too often assume just because we thing something is shady, cheating or immoral that the families of these kids agree. It probably more likely that they justify taking things in whatever way they need to because they don’t care about the rules just as many of us break laws we don’t think are “that big of a deal”

The more interesting thing to me, including Crean I how often we are involved deep in recruitments on shady players that we don’t win.

Rawle Alkins
Bruce Brown
Precious Acheiwae sp?
Lester Quinones
Trendon

The list is really long (don’t have time to list all) and includes some of the shadiest guys.

But this trend lived on after Crean.

Gotta be Adidas trying to feed us guys and Indiana not being the ideal spot for whatever reason.

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The more interesting thing to me, including Crean I how often we are involved deep in recruitments on shady players that we don’t win.

Rawle Alkins
Bruce Brown
Precious Acheiwae sp?
Lester Quinones
Trendon

The list is really long (don’t have time to list all) and includes some of the shadiest guys.

But this trend lived on after Crean.

Gotta be Adidas trying to feed us guys and Indiana not being the ideal spot for whatever reason.

Could just be our compliance department not playing along