Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

Speaking on the grad transfer thing. If it's so hard for grad transfers to come to IU why if we had five or six of them? Also we've recruited a bunch that have went to other place. Mooney at TT, Lee and Thompson that went to OSU, Albright that went to PU, etc. It seems like we've tried and have took advantage of the grad transfer rule in the past, but now it's an issue. Did we change the rules this year?

Who are the 5 or 6 grad transfers that we’ve had?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Who are the 5 or 6 grad transfers that we’ve had?

Gordon, Nick, Max, Fitzner and Brunk. 5 in a 7 or 8 year period would suggest that IU doesn’t get many of them. 2 of the 5 graduated in 3 years and had 2 years of eligibility. I’m guessing other programs have had 5 or more grad transfers in like a 2 or 3 year period

32 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Gordon, Nick, Max, Fitzner and Brunk. 5 in a 7 or 8 year period would suggest that IU doesn’t get many of them. 2 of the 5 graduated in 3 years and had 2 years of eligibility. I’m guessing other programs have had 5 or more grad transfers in like a 2 or 3 year period

Don’t mean this to be critical of the kid, but I never, ever, remember that Gordon was here.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’m guessing other programs have had 5 or more grad transfers in like a 2 or 3 year period

I really don't think that's the case....most definitely not in a 2 year period and I would guess that it likely doesn't happen in three year periods.  This past offseason, there have been 108 grad transfers that have committed to 94 schools.  No school has more than 2 grad transfers.  About half of those players were 'down transfers', transferring from high major to mid or low or mid to low major transferring out of D1.  I believe that this season there were 5 grad transfers total coming into the Big Ten.

Its a myth that Indiana's academic standards are too high for graduate transfers. By definition, a graduate student should be a better student than most wherever he or she applies. Also, they had to complete their undergraduate degree in three years which requires more than average academic work and achievement. That's why the six graduate transfer students we've gotten on the IU basketball team have generally been good students to begin with.

25 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Its a myth that Indiana's academic standards are too high for graduate transfers. By definition, a graduate student should be a better student than most wherever he or she applies. Also, they had to complete their undergraduate degree in three years which requires more than average academic work and achievement. That's why the six graduate transfer students we've gotten on the IU basketball team have generally been good students to begin with.

You sure about that, Honky? 

19 minutes ago, Josh said:

I wonder about this excuse as well.  Especially when there's been a lot of excuses.  How many years do we have to wait until we can expect success again?

When Archie came we heard an excuse that his hands were tied due to apr and administration and he wasn't allowed to make any roster changes.  Then you realize that Gelon was dumped.  Then you realize that he could have let any of the recruits out of their loi without penalty and you wonder.  You hear that we didn't get McKinley Wright because Archie's hands were tied, but you realize they weren't.  Who knows if any of these roster changes would have mattered, but it seemed to be an excuse.

Then you hear an excuse about not being able to get transfer players and wonder about it too.

Just win man.  Just effin win.  Until you do, there will be rightful doubt.

I don't ever recall hearing that we could have had McKinley Wright but Archie's hands were tied.  I do recall Archie telling him that he wished he would honor his commitment to Dayton but that he could come to IU if he wanted to.

20 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Uof6 and O$U benefitted from this the last few years as well. Archie is trying to get old and stay old. TTU, Uof6, and O$U signed old and stayed old. At some point in the season, I looked up the ages of the players on this three teams and voila they were old. I believe we had 3 1/2 rotation players that were 21 or older. TTU had multiple 23 year olds. I believe Uof6 had several too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Also, UNC adding 2 grad transfers this year. If you can't bring in 5 top 20 kids like Duke this seems to be the next best route. We aren't really doing either and with such a need for another shooter it's tough to watch. 

18 hours ago, mark1981 said:

Rumors that he is going to take over for Pop at the spurs.

That rumor has been swirling for a couple years now. Who knows when Pop will actually step down. KU could be really good next year if they land Hampton and Wilson and get Grimes/Dotson back. 

That rumor has been swirling for a couple years now. Who knows when Pop will actually step down. KU could be really good next year if they land Hampton and Wilson and get Grimes/Dotson back. 

Being investigated by the NCAA might help him make the jump to the NBA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, mark1981 said:

Being investigated by the NCAA might help him make the jump to the NBA

True but it seemingly so far has had the opposite effect. The guy jumping, Beilein, seemed be all accounts to be one of the cleaner guys and was tired of the cheating landscape. NCAA seems content with letting this stuff fly hence Wade getting his job back at LSU and nothing happening. 

True but it seemingly so far has had the opposite effect. The guy jumping, Beilein, seemed be all accounts to be one of the cleaner guys and was tired of the cheating landscape. NCAA seems content with letting this stuff fly hence Wade getting his job back at LSU and nothing happening. 

I think/hope they will get dealt with eventually. Wade lawyered up and the school wants to fire these scum bags with cause so they dont have to pay them to leave.

20 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

I think/hope they will get dealt with eventually. Wade lawyered up and the school wants to fire these scum bags with cause so they dont have to pay them to leave.

Yeah. I don't blame the schools for not firing them because they'll be liable to pay huge buyouts. If the NCAA isn't going to enforce anything, schools can't really take matters into their own hands

3 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Yeah. I don't blame the schools for not firing them because they'll be liable to pay huge buyouts. If the NCAA isn't going to enforce anything, schools can't really take matters into their own hands

There’s usually clauses for discovered cheating that removes the buyout. 

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

There’s usually clauses for discovered cheating that removes the buyout. 

Right, but the NCAA so far somehow has not actually implicated anybody for cheating yet. So even though there's clearly evidence that Wade was cheating, he would file for wrongful termination, and then either get some sort of settlement, or it would drag on forever, which LSU obviously wants to avoid. Even Pitino, who had 2 huge scandals in 3 years, took UL to court.

11 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Right, but the NCAA so far somehow has not actually implicated anybody for cheating yet. So even though there's clearly evidence that Wade was cheating, he would file for wrongful termination, and then either get some sort of settlement, or it would drag on forever, which LSU obviously wants to avoid. Even Pitino, who had 2 huge scandals in 3 years, took UL to court.

The NCAA doesn’t have to. The schools would just need the proof which they have easier access too. 

They fire him. He sues for the money. They show the judge the proof. No money for cheating coach

What’s cheating and what’s not appears to be different in the eyes of the fan vs the NCAA.

And then you have Indiana charging families pennies for lunches.

Does Purdue cheat? All signs point to, no, or much less than other high majors. They seem to grossly outperform their recruiting rankings each and every year.

It’s funny, when you talk to Purdue fans though, that is their biggest gripe with Painter is that they don’t win recruiting battles. Now they are winning a few.

Plain and simple, Archie Miller and Indiana should be in the tournament every year (90%). Figure it out.

I know one thing, I’m really down on the administration as evidence keeps piling up to show how they aren’t helping us succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

The NCAA doesn’t have to. The schools would just need the proof which they have easier access too. 

They fire him. He sues for the money. They show the judge the proof. No money for cheating coach

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it's that straightforward. It certainly seemed like LSU wanted to fire Will Wade, and I'm guessing the relationship between Wade and the AD is pretty awkward. They're going to need to have clear proof to show that Wade was cheating. Yes, we all know that the statements on the wiretap obviously indicate that Wade was cheating, but unless they can actually prove that money was delivered, it's probably not enough to hold up in court.

What’s cheating and what’s not appears to be different in the eyes of the fan vs the NCAA.

And then you have Indiana charging families pennies for lunches.

Does Purdue cheat? All signs point to, no, or much less than other high majors. They seem to grossly outperform their recruiting rankings each and every year.

It’s funny, when you talk to Purdue fans though, that is their biggest gripe with Painter is that they don’t win recruiting battles. Now they are winning a few.

Plain and simple, Archie Miller and Indiana should be in the tournament every year (90%). Figure it out.

I know one thing, I’m really down on the administration as evidence keeps piling up to show how they aren’t helping us succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No doubt. The information that IU makes it more difficult for CTA and CAM to recruit grad transfers than other schools concerns me.