Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

43 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Nebraska's incoming transfers:

Derrick Walker from the University of Tennessee.  Was a three star recruit in 2017, ranked 270th by 247.  Averaged 1.4 points and 1.7 rebounds last year.  Will have to sit out this season.  Will have two years of eligibility.

Haanif Cheatem, graduate transfer.  Averaged 13 points and 5 rebounds in 10 games at Florida Gulf Coast.  Season ended when he had shoulder surgery.  This will be his third stop after first transferring from Marquette.

Matej Kavas, graduate transfer from Seattle.  10 point/5 rebound guy who also suffered injuries.

Cam Mack, JUCO transfer.  247 ranks him as just the 25th best incoming JUCO and 422nd best incoming 2019 player.

Dalano Banton.  Will have to sit out next year before having three years of eligibility.  Averaged 3.4 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists at Western Kentucky as a freshman.

Shamiel Stevenson.  Transfer from Nevada but never actually even played there.   His history.:  committed and played at Pittsburgh in 2017.  Was the a high 200 ranked freshman.  Did have a decent freshman season, averaging 8.5 points.  Pittsburgh changed coaches in the offseason between 2017-8 and 2018-9 and he announced he would transfer....then changed course and came back to Pittsburgh.  Fell out of the rotation and transferred midseason to Nevada.  

Am I missing something?  I'm not sure I'd offer up this group as evidence of Hoiberg working his magic.  Grad transfers I get as they are one year no risk rentals when you have scholarships to give, but take a look at the other guys who will now take up scholarships for two or three years:  Walker, Mack, Banton, and Stevenson.  Would we be happy offering any of those guys taking up multiple years of scholarships?  Walker couldn't get on the court with Tennessee, Banton wasn't playing all that much for a mid major, Mack is a JUCO type of player that doesn't typically garner major offers and Stevenson is now on this third team in three years.

Wow, they just care so much about winning. What great roster construction.

25 minutes ago, ctown2grhoosier said:

Seriously why are we not going after any Grad Transfers guards? 

That is puzzling to me too. I am fine with leaving a scholly or two open, but when you have a  need and there are sooooo many options it is odd not to pursue......anyone. All the chips are on player development and the existing incoming guys I guess. 

That is puzzling to me too. I am fine with leaving a scholly or two open, but when you have a  need and there are sooooo many options it is odd not to pursue......anyone. All the chips are on player development and the existing incoming guys I guess. 

Apparently it’s on our administration for making the academic requirements too difficult. Could be wrong, but Martha the Mop Lady’s Twitter is pretty accurate

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, ctown2grhoosier said:

Seriously why are we not going after any Grad Transfers guards? 

How do we know that the staff isn’t? I don’t feel like we knew about Fitzner until it was pretty close to a commitment

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Y'all are missing what's hidden in plain sight:  Joey Brunk working on his perimeter footwork and deep shooting sees him emerge as a guard/center hybrid.

Perhaps you're on to something...

Several commentators on Twitter who are knowledgeable have been bemoaning how difficult IU's admission standards are for grad transfers in football and basketball which accounts for the fact we don't appear to be overly active in that area.  Not by Archie's or CTA's choice but an administration forced down decision that severely limits their options.  Is it a Fred Glass mandate or a mandate from higher up isn't clear.

3 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Can anyone name one graduate transfer basketball target that couldn't transfer to IU because of high admission standards. It sounds like a totally made up theory.

A lot of behind the scenes transcript evaluations and application processes go on with grad transfers, a lot of times before any sort of interest on either side is made public, so your question isn’t exactly fair. 

The staff could have been interested in any of the biggest kids, but they were ruled out before we ever knew about it. 

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Students transfer to and from IU all the time, I can’t imagine they make it more difficult for basketball and football players

It's not that they make it more difficult, it's that other landing spots relax the requirements, and make it easier than a regular transfer.

27 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Can anyone name one graduate transfer basketball target that couldn't transfer to IU because of high admission standards. It sounds like a totally made up theory.

They can't really publicize that they went a different route from player X, because of academic shortcomings. 

Several commentators on Twitter who are knowledgeable have been bemoaning how difficult IU's admission standards are for grad transfers in football and basketball which accounts for the fact we don't appear to be overly active in that area.  Not by Archie's or CTA's choice but an administration forced down decision that severely limits their options.  Is it a Fred Glass mandate or a mandate from higher up isn't clear.

Above Fred. It’s out of the athletic departments hands

Students transfer to and from IU all the time, I can’t imagine they make it more difficult for basketball and football players

Regular transfers that have to sit out a year are fine. They are not a problem. It’s the graduate transfers that have to get accepted to the graduate program. Other schools have special admins for their athletes whereas Indiana does not. The staff looked at several guards but stopped once they knew it would be a waste of time and they wouldn’t have been accepted to the graduate program

Would that be fair to the recruit involved if they mentioned his name as someone who didn’t get accepted to the graduate program. I’m guess there are privacy acts against doing that. The journalists that cover IU won’t even mention names even though they know the names of some of them

This is a totally made up story to try to explain why no graduate transfers are coming to IU. There is absolutely no evidence to back this assertion up. To hide behind privacy requirements is non-sense because if true it could be confirmed without violating privacy.  Graduate transfers are not coming to IU for the same reason 2019 targets are not coming. We had a lousy year and players have better options.

11 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

This is a totally made up story to try to explain why no graduate transfers are coming to IU. There is absolutely no evidence to back this assertion up. To hide behind privacy requirements is non-sense because if true it could be confirmed without violating privacy.  Graduate transfers are not coming to IU for the same reason 2019 targets are not coming. We had a lousy year and players have better options.

You are simply wrong, like it or not. 

OK. I'll pretend like others here that it is we are losing graduate transfers who actually want to play for IU because it is so difficult to get admitted to an IU grad program even though there are absolutely no facts to support the supposition.  I'll also pretend that IU is in good shape to win the Big 10 and compete for a national championship next year even though there is no evidence to support that supposition. Its easier to pretend than it is to live in the real world.