Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

Timeline at North Carolina:

morning of April 23:  #4 ranked player and combo guard Cole Anthony signs with North Carolina

afternoon of April 23:  #68 ranked player and combo guard Anthony Harris signs with North Carolina.  grad transfer shooting guard Christian Keeling and swingman Justin Pierce visit North Carolina.

April 26:  Justin Pierce signs with North Carolina.

May 2:  Christian Keeling signs with North Carolina.

That's a bounty of guard play that North Carolina picked up.  That said, we'll never know if Anthony Harris had waited ten days to sign if he would have signed there.  It's certainly going to be difficult to see him getting many minutes next year.  

I don't think we can blame kids for waiting so long to commit.  With the state of transfers and the NBA deadline getting pushed back so far to allow you come back to school, they aren't really getting a real clear picture.

What's wrong with hoping to get paid as quickly as possible? Should his dad steer him away from making a lot of money so that he can just have fun in college? Kentucky has proven itself as a great place for showcasing talent and sending guys to the pros. I would have loved for him to come to IU, but choosing UK is the safer choice.

IU five stars end up in the nba same as UK. Not sure UK is truly a safer choice. Someone posted a while back on TOS projections pre and post Uk and there were more that dropped in ranking than rose

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

IU five stars end up in the nba same as UK. Not sure UK is truly a safer choice. Someone posted a while back on TOS projections pre and post Uk and there were more that dropped in ranking than rose

Some interesting information here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/sports/march-madness-one-and-dones/?utm_term=.aa1c3eabfb0d

Something I was shocked to see was the number of teams that had a projected one-and-done player on their team that failed to make the tournament.  There were eleven teams in the NCAA that had projected one and dones this year.  Five of those eleven did not make the tournament.

Of the six that did, 3 had multiple one and done players.  3 had just one.  The teams that had multiple one and dones were seeded 1, 1, and 2.  The eight teams that had a single one and done were seed 3, 11, 12, and the other five didn't make the tournament.

What seems to be the case is that success in the tournament (and season) tends to come from fully adopting a one-and-done philosophy OR building a more veteran team with players that stick around.  It looks like it's hard to go halfway.  

Since 2006, there have been 87 teams that have had a single one-and-done on their roster.  22 missed the tournament;  just 44 of those 87 made it past the first round.  Meanwhile, there have been 10 teams with multiple one-and-dones.  All made the tournament and all won their first game.  Only one failed to make the sweet sixteen.  Half made the final four and four were in the title game.

Can't say exactly why teams who have a single one and done really don't do well -- certainly there might be something to the theory that there is conflicting goals between the other players and the one and done -- but it's pretty undeniable that the talent a single one and done player brings to a team has resulted in an underachievement of results given that talent.

Some interesting information here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/sports/march-madness-one-and-dones/?utm_term=.aa1c3eabfb0d
Something I was shocked to see was the number of teams that had a projected one-and-done player on their team that failed to make the tournament.  There were eleven teams in the NCAA that had projected one and dones this year.  Five of those eleven did not make the tournament.
Of the six that did, 3 had multiple one and done players.  3 had just one.  The teams that had multiple one and dones were seeded 1, 1, and 2.  The eight teams that had a single one and done were seed 3, 11, 12, and the other five didn't make the tournament.
What seems to be the case is that success in the tournament (and season) tends to come from fully adopting a one-and-done philosophy OR building a more veteran team with players that stick around.  It looks like it's hard to go halfway.  
Since 2006, there have been 87 teams that have had a single one-and-done on their roster.  22 missed the tournament;  just 44 of those 87 made it past the first round.  Meanwhile, there have been 10 teams with multiple one-and-dones.  All made the tournament and all won their first game.  Only one failed to make the sweet sixteen.  Half made the final four and four were in the title game.
Can't say exactly why teams who have a single one and done really don't do well -- certainly there might be something to the theory that there is conflicting goals between the other players and the one and done -- but it's pretty undeniable that the talent a single one and done player brings to a team has resulted in an underachievement of results given that talent.

Interesting analysis and honestly not surprised. I haven’t heard anyone argue with my stance but would love to see Archie focus on guys in the 25-100 range. I know rankings aren’t everything but are a good gage and if we consistently have 5-8 guys in that range on the roster I think we will win big over time

Interesting analysis and honestly not surprised. I haven’t heard anyone argue with my stance but would love to see Archie focus on guys in the 25-100 range. I know rankings aren’t everything but are a good gage and if we consistently have 5-8 guys in that range on the roster I think we will win big over time

He seems to be doing that. I suspect Romeo will be the exception and not a recurring trend.

He seems to be doing that. I suspect Romeo will be the exception and not a recurring trend.

I don’t think Archie really any other choice than to go after Romeo. He was the marquee recruit in establishing that inside out recruiting philosophy.

It was a statement recruit and we all know that he was likely a few years too early to make any real difference. One recruit doesn’t change an entire team. Especially in a conference like the B1G where veteran teams dominate.

If IU was in the PAC-10... yeah we probably would have made it this year.

2 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I don't remember where it was posted, but a couple of months ago an "insider" said something like "don't expect Archie to pursue any more 5-star recruits" (very loosely paraphrased).  I'm 100% fine with that as long as he gets the right players.

It'll be interesting to see if Wilson and Bajema want out of their committment to Michigan. Without looking though, I don't remember who else recruited them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It'll be interesting to see if Wilson and Bajema want out of their committment to Michigan. Without looking though, I don't remember who else recruited them.

I know Wilson is from Texas. But The Daily Hoosier just tweeted they are both wings recruited for their perimeter shooting. Hmmm

I just wrote down our roster for this coming year. Like, I knew it was bad but now I’ve done this. Kinda scary.

Also, if Hunter isn’t cleared to play and let’s say D Davis has another injury plagued season. Things will be extremely bare. Some guys are just going to have to step up!

Going to be a long year this season.

11 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I just wrote down our roster for this coming year. Like, I knew it was bad but now I’ve done this. Kinda scary.

Also, if Hunter isn’t cleared to play and let’s say D Davis has another injury plagued season. Things will be extremely bare. Some guys are just going to have to step up!

Why I was expecting a couple more additions especially at guard.

8 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I think the front court is strong, but man the backcourt is really scary and thin. There’s a not a single proven volume shooter on the team. By volume shooter, I mean a guy proven to be consistently good at scoring from the perimeter. 

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think the front court is strong, but man the backcourt is really scary and thin. There’s a not a single proven volume shooter on the team. By volume shooter, I mean a guy proven to be consistently good at scoring from the perimeter. 

Same could be said about our frontcourt as well. I mean DD has shown what he's capable of but that was prior to the Achilles. 

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Samari Curtis to Nebraska. Along with about 5-7 transfers.

Hoiberg will be a pain in the keister.

Hoiberg is going to have them competing for B10 titles within a few years. Guy is a really under appreciated college coach.