Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

3 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I actually re-tweeted about the preferred walk-on we got today and Joey Brunk liked it. Lol.

That's why this caught me off guard so much. Coincidentally.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Who is the walk-on that we got today?

He is a RS SO. He could grad transfer and have 2 years of eligibility. I would LOVE this.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

This would be awesome, and makes sense as there’s been a few things floating around about names popping up that are very familiar to IU. Would be a very good complement at the 5 from the bench with Davis slotted there for the time being.

Not to stir this thread, but if true with two years of availability, then Moore becomes the odd man out IMO. Also, if TJD and Thompson move as the first 2 at the 4, then that bumps out Smit too. Smith could play the 3, but don’t know if that would work out too well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Indpls. Star - Preferred walk-on, Zionsville forward Nathan Childress just wants to help IU basketball

A string of bad luck kept Nathan Childress from getting the chance to play in front of more college coaches the past two summers. He suffered a broken hand last summer and a sprained ankle the previous summer prevented him from playing at full strength.

In November, the 6-6 Childress committed to Bethel College, a program with a history of success at the NAIA level. But in the following months, as Childress went through his senior season at Zionsville, he thought about re-opening his recruitment.

“With the Bethel situation, I just didn’t feel like the school was the right fit,” Childress said. “I wanted to play for coach (Ryne) Lightfoot, but I decided to decommit.”Lightfoot abruptly stepped down as Bethel’s coach earlier this month after two seasons. He had succeeded his father, Mike Lightfoot, who had coached the program for 27 seasons.

Another door opened for Childress, who accepted an opportunity as a preferred walk-on at Indiana on Sunday. Childress played travel basketball for Jonny Marlin, a former Center Grove standout who walked on at IU in between stops at IPFW and Indiana Wesleyan.

“I’m definitely excited to have the opportunity,” Childress said. “I want to go in and work hard and I think I can help the team to be better.”

Childress was an all-Hoosier Crossroads Conference selection each of the past two seasons at Zionsville, where he teamed with Purdue recruit Isaiah Thompson to lead the Eagles to a sectional title last year for the first time since 1995 and again this season. Childress averaged 14.5 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a senior. He shot 58 percent from the field and 35.5 percent (21-for-59) from the 3-point line. That was after he averaged 12.2 points and 9.5 rebounds as a junior.

“If playing time does come about, that’s great,” Childress said. “I just want to be able to help Indiana. I’ve always liked IU so it didn’t require much thinking (to accept the walk-on spot).”

Childress had an offer from Division II Tusculum (Tenn.) and interest from Division I Morehead State at the time he committed to Bethel. Valparaiso reached out after he pulled his commitment from Bethel.

“I felt like I was probably a little undervalued because I missed that time (in the summer) both my sophomore and junior year,” Childress said. “I’ve played against some big-time players and been able to hold my own pretty well.”

A preferred walk-on is guaranteed a roster spot, but does not receive an athletic scholarship.

Yes.

Mr. Stuhoo, I know you don’t go into details about your sources, but I’m just curious if this is serious or not? I hadn’t heard much about it, but just curious what you’ve “possibly” have heard?! :)

37 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Mr. Stuhoo, I know you don’t go into details about your sources, but I’m just curious if this is serious or not? I hadn’t heard much about it, but just curious what you’ve “possibly” have heard?! :)

Serious? Yes. 

That’s all I gots ‘ta share right now.

Came across this as well.

Benjamin Roderick, 3-star 6’5” SG/SF out of Ohio. Seems to have gotten some late attention from larger programs, namely Ohio State, Wisconsin, Xavier, and Butler. Anyone else heard that Ostrom went to watch him?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners