Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

4 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I'm so glad we took Anderson over Aaron Henry. Smh.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Was thinking the same sarcastic thought as I watched Henry in the BTT against Mich. If we had the choice between him and Damezi, how did we mess that up? I'm not downing Damezi, but Henry is so far ahead of him, it's depressing.

18 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Anderson was the higher rated recruit and the better shooter. Henry was the better athlete and defender. IU offered Anderson early then they offered Henry near the end of his AAU season after his stock went up. Then like two days after they offered Henry Anderson and Hunter both committed on the same day. The staff told Henry his scholarship was still valid but he decided on MSU. Quit with the nonsense that they took one over the other because that wasn’t the case. Henry was about ready to commit until those two committed. I also think Hunter was the one that caused Hunter to rethink committing to IU because their skills sets overlap more than his and Anderson’s do.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yea, I guess it was just "luck of the draw" on not getting Henry. Hoping once Damezi gets his head wrapped around what he needs to do and Jerome gets healthy (fingers crossed) we can forget about Henry.

Was thinking the same sarcastic thought as I watched Henry in the BTT against Mich. If we had the choice between him and Damezi, how did we mess that up? I'm not downing Damezi, but Henry is so far ahead of him, it's depressing.
And he would have come.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I spoke with Daniel Utomi a bit ago, he said he would be interested in IU if they reach out. Told me to check back in a few days. No real ties, but grad guys usually don't care about that stuff. It's one more year & they want exposure.

1 hour ago, ebridges24 said:

Yea, I guess it was just "luck of the draw" on not getting Henry. Hoping once Damezi gets his head wrapped around what he needs to do and Jerome gets healthy (fingers crossed) we can forget about Henry.

I disagree. We offered Damezi a full month before Henry received his offer, Jerome and Race were offered even before that. Offers aren't given randomly. For better or worse, the staff made a decision on who to target and who to make a priority; they chose Damezi over Aaron Henry.

34 minutes ago, bigrod said:

...and, we never offered Hunter (who also wanted to come). He got more valuable minutes for Purdue than Anderson did for us.

Eric Hunter?  He played plenty of minutes for Purdue, but I wouldn't call them valuable.  He was the worst player on the team.  I do think Painter played him just to give him experience.  Maybe Damezi could have benefitted from more minutes for the same reason, but we were in so many close games that I can understand why he didn't.  I didn't think there was ever much interest in Eric Hunter.  

An aside:  There are 11 guys left uncommitted in the 2019 Top 100.  Lots of familiar names.  Some we've tracked for a couple years, a couple look like desperation attempts at what's left.  I don't know that there is anyone outside the top 100 we're talking to:

4.  Cole Anthony

5.  Jaden McDaniels

8.  Matthew Hurt

13.  Precious Achiuwa

27.  Trendon Watford

29.  Cassius Stanley

65.  Lester Quinones

75.  Carl Lewis

79.   Tristan Enaruna

81.  Tre Mitchell

82.  Harlond Beverly

Beverly we've been on the longest, and seemingly have the best chance with.  He just attended the MSU game.  He got to see us beat a top 10 team at SSAH.  I've never seen him play, but his highlight videos are really good.  The kid is a major athlete, good left and right, plays fast, above the rim stuff.  People call him focused on defense.  He's another 6'4" combo guard, much in the mold of Al and Armaan.  But he seems to fit what Archie's wanting:  length, athleticism, defense, versatility.  It seems he looks to get the ball to the rim (either himself or a pass in), rather than settle for a 3.  His 3-ball looks okay when he gets the puppies organized.  I'll also say, I follow him (as well as most other recruits) on Twitter and Instagram, and he seems to have a good attitude.

The rumor is that people in his camp don't like BigTen style of play.  

It seems like we don't have enough excitement about him now.  

Eric Hunter?  He played plenty of minutes for Purdue, but I wouldn't call them valuable.  He was the worst player on the team.  I do think Painter played him just to give him experience.  Maybe Damezi could have benefitted from more minutes for the same reason, but we were in so many close games that I can understand why he didn't.  I didn't think there was ever much interest in Eric Hunter.  

An aside:  There are 11 guys left uncommitted in the 2019 Top 100.  Lots of familiar names.  Some we've tracked for a couple years, a couple look like desperation attempts at what's left.  I don't know that there is anyone outside the top 100 we're talking to:

4.  Cole Anthony
5.  Jaden McDaniels
8.  Matthew Hurt
13.  Precious Achiuwa
27.  Trendon Watford
29.  Cassius Stanley
65.  Lester Quinones
75.  Carl Lewis
79.   Tristan Enaruna
81.  Tre Mitchell
82.  Harlond Beverly

Beverly we've been on the longest, and seemingly have the best chance with.  He just attended the MSU game.  He got to see us beat a top 10 team at SSAH.  I've never seen him play, but his highlight videos are really good.  The kid is a major athlete, good left and right, plays fast, above the rim stuff.  People call him focused on defense.  He's another 6'4" combo guard, much in the mold of Al and Armaan.  But he seems to fit what Archie's wanting:  length, athleticism, defense, versatility.  It seems he looks to get the ball to the rim (either himself or a pass in), rather than settle for a 3.  His 3-ball looks okay when he gets the puppies organized.  I'll also say, I follow him (as well as most other recruits) on Twitter and Instagram, and he seems to have a good attitude.

The rumor is that people in his camp don't like BigTen style of play.  

It seems like we don't have enough excitement about him now.  

Big ten bbal is boring to alot of recruits. To slow and probably why the big ten doesnt get a ton of 5 stars.

On average, we're only going to have 3 or 4 scholarships available each year.  Do you want the Crean approach of throwing out 100 random offers or a more focused and structured approach?  Every coach is going to have recruiting whiffs; it's inevitable.  

We have no recruiting momentum right now. We need to win and win some more before we probably start snagging out of state prospects anytime soon.

We probably end up with some grad transfers or jucos.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Big ten bbal is boring to alot of recruits. To slow and probably why the big ten doesnt get a ton of 5 stars.

There are many reasons why the Big Ten doesn’t land as many 5* recruits as other conferences. Part of that isn’t playing the games other conferences play, who in the ACC hasn’t been brought up in some kind of scandal recently? Maybe Notre Dame.

The other is the style of play. I don’t see many other conferences allowing their bigs to just bump a driver off his line and calling it “good defense” or getting absolutely blown up at the rim just to have it ignored or a charge called.

I think the powers that be (long tenure coaches) like it this way because they can recruit more to that system and style of officiating.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app