Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2020) SG Trey Galloway To IU

To recruiting services which as we all know are fairly accurate. Or are we already back to hoping for diamonds in the rough 

Did you read this individual scouting reports on Trey from those scouting services or are you going by the number by his name? Read the breakdown from the scouting services instead of the number most have high praise for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Red herring.

No one said that Trey Galloway is projected to be a "cornerstone". Much moreso that he would be a fantastic addition. 

Cornerstones? TJD, healthy Hunter, Phinisee, some of those 25-75 recruits we have a real shot with.

And if we get some of those 25-75 then I will change my tune but we whiffed on like 6 of those last year. If Archie seals the deal then so be it. 

Heard the same talk about Crean as well. Talking to 50 top players doesn’t guarantee you get any. 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Did you read this individual scouting reports on Trey from those scouting services or are you going by the number by his name? Read the breakdown from the scouting services instead of the number most have high praise for him.

They apparently have higher praise for the guys above him that our competitors are getting multiple of. 

I want Trey make no mistake. And I would love Leal as well but when a coach getting paid 3 million a year and is only leading for 2 sub 100 Indiana kids. I’m going to call that underwhelming. 

Now if he delivers all change my tune. But something will need to change for that if to change to a when. 

18 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

For me I've completely changed my recruiting standard; I now tend to assess based on how I've seen it done for college football.

I now primarily look at a player's offer list to assess whether he's highly regarded. Trey Galloway's offer list is incredibly impressive; Michigan State, OSU, Purdue, ND, Kansas trying to get into the equation. Leal and Cross have good lists, but not as good as Trey.

The problem is that are targets are fairly underwhelming 

Our targets fit the exact recruiting strategy the entire fanbase demanded during Crean’s years. Lock down the border and sign multi-year players. Can’t control when the state has a down year.

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me I've completely changed my recruiting standard to what I've seen applied to college football.

I now primarily look at a player's offer list to assess whether he's highly regarded. Trey Galloway's offer list is incredibly impressive; Michigan State, OSU, Purdue, ND, Kansas trying to get into the equation. Leal and Cross have good lists, but not as good as Trey.

This, this, this!

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Our targets fit the exact recruiting strategy the entire fanbase demanded during Crean’s years. Lock down the border and sign multi-year players. Can’t control when the state has a down year.

Entire fanbase is a bold claim there. 

Entire fanbase is a bold claim there. 

Sure.

So if we summarize what the top 2 complaints were with Crean, I’d very confidently say that a vast majority of fans would identify inability to connect with in-state coaches and players and lock down the borders as a top two failure.

Sure.

So if we summarize what the top 2 complaints were with Crean, I’d very confidently say that a vast majority of fans would identify inability to connect with in-state coaches and players and lock down the borders as a top two failure.

Yes but mainly when it pertained to uber talents like Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, and lesser Trevon Bluiett, Kris Wilkes and such.

Seeing those guys walk away was tough. The 3 star kids never seemed to get that reaction from most. There was a vocal minority that wanted Indiana no matter what. Most, wanted the best player Indiana could find.

Now recently, they’ve extending 4 stars to 150 or so, I believe when it used to cut at 101. See more 4 stars nowadays than we used to see.

Yes but mainly when it pertained to uber talents like Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, and lesser Trevon Bluiett, Kris Wilkes and such.

Seeing those guys walk away was tough. The 3 star kids never seemed to get that reaction from most. There was a vocal minority that wanted Indiana no matter what. Most, wanted the best player Indiana could find.

Now recently, they’ve extending 4 stars to 150 or so, I believe when it used to cut at 101. See more 4 stars nowadays than we used to see.

Given how fickle Indiana high school basketball is, not recruiting guys like Trey and Anthony will damage Archie’s chances will elite talent later. This has been discussed at length before.

Given how fickle Indiana high school basketball is, not recruiting guys like Trey and Anthony will damage Archie’s chances will elite talent later. This has been discussed at length before.

Agree completely. Also want to add that getting them and them not playing much could do the same but worse.

Agree completely. Also want to add that getting them and them not playing much could do the same but worse.

Depends on expectations - I would highly doubt Archie is selling them on year one starter or 6th man roles.

Presumably, he’s setting more realistic expectations: work hard and become leaders once you’re upperclassmen.

Yeah I don't think Leal and Galloway are diamonds in the rough. As Stuhoo said, look at their offer list. Very prominent programs are after these kids. 

I feel pretty good that Leal, Galloway, and Cross are big ten contributors and am not worried about them. I only worry that there doesn't seem to be a great chance we will land a point guard in this class and that would be two classes in a row without a point guard. I know Lander is 2021, but that is nowhere near a certainty. 

Still in a wait and see with Archie, love his organization overall and what he is trying to do. Just have to see on the court success or none of this matters. 

21 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They apparently have higher praise for the guys above him that our competitors are getting multiple of. 

I want Trey make no mistake. And I would love Leal as well but when a coach getting paid 3 million a year and is only leading for 2 sub 100 Indiana kids. I’m going to call that underwhelming. 

Now if he delivers all change my tune. But something will need to change for that if to change to a when. 

Thats a fair point.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, Brass Cannon said:

And if we get some of those 25-75 then I will change my tune but we whiffed on like 6 of those last year. If Archie seals the deal then so be it. 

Heard the same talk about Crean as well. Talking to 50 top players doesn’t guarantee you get any. 

And getting any doesn't guarantee success.   The pieces have to fit; and high school ranking or "stars" play zero role in that.   I want kids who fit Archie's system and I want a group of them who can play together and keep building that formula year after year after year.  I could not care less where a kid is ranked.  If he's a top 25 kid, odds are his eyes are on a bigger prize than college, anyway.  Get old and stay old.  Indiana was its most successful that way, and several good programs are now.

17 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

And getting any doesn't guarantee success.   The pieces have to fit; and high school ranking or "stars" play zero role in that.   I want kids who fit Archie's system and I want a group of them who can play together and keep building that formula year after year after year.  I could not care less where a kid is ranked.  If he's a top 25 kid, odds are his eyes are on a bigger prize than college, anyway.  Get old and stay old.  Indiana was its most successful that way, and several good programs are now.

If we are recruiting against Villanova, MSU, and Virginia and getting some of those kids we’re gonna win a whole bunch of games.