Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2020) SG Trey Galloway To IU

^^Bingo - because that's what really matters!^^
And (at the risk of repeating myself) It doesn't matter who you don't get; it matters who you get.

I agree with this but the class ranking for recruits is still an objective measuring stick.

Our 55 ranking can be explained and minimized but it is what it is. Other schools below us and above us have the same impact type transfers and redshirts. (I would be very curious to see some ranking system that accounts for all that and am surprised to some extent one doesn’t exist. Maybe it does?)

Another example, Hunter who you want to count towards making our 2019 class sound better was counted into the 2018 class already.

Anyway have a good weekend and back Galloway. Sorry to derail thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Class ranking really does not matter. Class balance and landing roles you need to fill matters. I see back to back McDAA and four year players. Archie is executing against his stated recruiting strategy. I want to see how that plays out over four years and then if he fails - well that says something about the strategy as well...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

In terms of class balance, there is a real possibility of only having one player in this class in a few years. TJD likely not around in the later years and hunter cannot be counted on. And in regards to getting what you need, we needed a knock down shooter at any position and we didn’t get that. That was our biggest glaring hole and didn’t fill it. We can talk all we want about returning players hopefully improving their shot but you can’t count on players being average shooters for 19 years all of a sudden figuring it out. One is better off finding players that have proven they are great shooters and bringing them in and we didn’t. So, I think it is fair to have some concerns about recruiting, especially since mid season this past year.

Still hopeful and plenty of time to land some good pieces but to think there aren’t yellow flags flying is ignoring the facts

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

23 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But I’ve generally been good about having a feel for things. I saw where the Crean tenure was going and how it would finish before others. 

This is comical.  How does one make this determination?  “Well I knew Crean was doing a bad job before others because I kept a Google sheet of everyone’s comments in my basement computer and it had a formula that would calculate everyone’s opinions which proved I was the first to know.  Siri confirmed it when I asked her.”

This is comical.  How does one make this determination?  “Well I knew Crean was doing a bad job before others because I kept a Google sheet of everyone’s comments in my basement computer and it had a formula that would calculate everyone’s opinions which proved I was the first to know.  Siri confirmed it when I asked her.”

There was plenty of evidence. I wasn’t alone in this. There was a vocal minority on this message board that had the same concerns early on.

Anyway, it can be comical to you, and that’s perfectly fine, but I know my judgement of Crean ended up being correct and early. I posted concerns for years, then get shot down for being negative every single time, only to be right in the end.

I don’t feel that same way about Archie. For the record. However, I thought he’d run Indiana more like Sean runs Arizona which in my opinion is a much easier way to succeed. Without getting “shoe guys” and stacked classes like I assumed he would, Archie will need to prove his coaching prowess to me. I think Romeo and that class had me feeling we would stack top 10 classes back to back to back. Now with recruiting trending the way it is, I’m not sure.

Definitely curious to see how he does with a mature/older team this year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I didn't see an offense designed otherwise....

Very true. Sometimes you just need smart players with good sennse vs actual sets. We had neither.

At times, early in the shot clock, it seemed so robotic. They were trying to run what Archie was wanting, but no one cut hard, ran fast, tried to beat their guy. Then play would break down, and we go PnR or ISO.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Very true. Sometimes you just need smart players with good sennse vs actual sets. We had neither.

At times, early in the shot clock, it seemed so robotic. They were trying to run what Archie was wanting, but no one cut hard, ran fast, tried to beat their guy. Then play would break down, and we go PnR or ISO.

You mean during that long losing streak, during which we were regularly without Phinisee, DeRon Davis, and for three games Green?

yup, without three of best five shot creators we were less than fluid on offense, but things like that are a reflection of the players on the court. Especially without Phinisee, who, as a freshman was asked to do a whole whole lot.

You mean during that long losing streak, during which we were regularly without Phinisee, DeRon Davis, and for three games Green?

yup, without three of best five shot creators we were less than fluid on offense, but things like that are a reflection of the players on the court. Especially without Phinisee, who, as a freshman was asked to do a whole whole lot.

No not particularly. Even when we were skirting by teams our offense always seemed disjointed last year. Save the Marquette game, where we we hitting shots. We won a lot of the games we won by defense.

I’m sure hitting shots will mask this but I didn’t like the motion in the offense ever really.

One thing I felt we did well at times was feeding Juwan or Davis in the post. Juwan made a lot of plays of this last year. But the back cuts, off ball screens, motion type stuff was rarely visible.

I think if the players are talented enough, PnR and Iso can be enough to get space and shots. Most NBA teams really on it.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

No not particularly. Even when we were skirting by teams our offense always seemed disjointed last year. Save the Marquette game, where we we hitting shots. We won a lot of the games we won by defense.

I’m sure hitting shots will mask this but I didn’t like the motion in the offense ever really.

One thing I felt we did well at times was feeding Juwan or Davis in the post. Juwan made a lot of plays of this last year. But the back cuts, off ball screens, motion type stuff was rarely visible.

I agree.  But where I do hold optimism is that I think our problems are identifiable.  I think it is easier to get a team to improve when they are good at one end and bad at the other than it is to improve a team that is okay at both.

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Bingo had our best two shooters taken the most shots we would have still been disappointing but not historically bad. 

Agree.  Outside of Green, there wasn’t anyone that finished the season with a three point percentage that stands out.

So any news on galloway?

If there was we wouldn’t be arguing about dumb ****. Hope he commits soon so we can build accordingly. It has to make it easier for coaches when they have an early commit or two