Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Wisconsin - 1/2/18 @ 7:00 E.T.

5 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Well he did not like the miller hire I know that. He was Alford or bust.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Well then he's a sh*thead. Miller would be at Ohio State this season if we didn't hire him.

The sean miller recruiting way has involved cheating to get 5 star players. Arizona is under investigation though I predict they walk away with virtually no punishment so maybe it isn't such a bad route to go. I'm expecting the ncaa will prove once again they are incompetent. If nothing changes I guess we will have to pay up in the future. Not a fan of it but that's how national titles are won.

IDK. When college coaches can be paid 3-9 million dollars a season, I believe these players deserve a chunk of it. It's not the 50's anymore. If the fair market is willing to pay these players, then let them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

IDK. When college coaches can be paid 3-9 million dollars a season, I believe these players deserve a chunk of it. It's not the 50's anymore. If the fair market is willing to pay these players, then let them.

Then we can LOL even more when IPFW, Indiana State own us still and Wichita State owns the majority of the rest of the country including NBA-Lite.

ESPN has a sense of humor. Dan Dakich on the call Saturday vs Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Twitter blew up towards Dakich the other night. He is as embarrassed and frustrated as we are as an alumni, he just handles it differently. He wants IU to be good, I promise you that.

Versus Knight, he wants us to burn to the ground.

Then why shouldn't iu join the party?

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Well........dentally speaking that is some bad crown and bridge work. I'd suggest spending some more cash and getting the one side to match the other.

But since I kind of like the guy, I'd give him an IU alumnus discount.

You can give him the discount but just don't give him any novacaine!

On 1/4/2018 at 1:02 PM, HoosierX said:

You can teach shooting to an extent but it's rare to see poor shooters become prolific ones. It's also difficult to make wholesale changes to shooting form without negative effects.

I was never a great shooter despite a lot of practice. Luckily I was (and still am) 5'9 and white which more than made up for it.

Any kid who plays college basketball should not need wholesale changes, despite Stanford Robinson.   There are little things which can be taught like sticking landings, footwork, hand position on the catch; etc.  Elevation and leg strength need to be there; and shooting becomes muscle memory with repetition.    I certainly didn't mean I think a poor shooter can be prolific; but using Oladipo as an example and Yogi Ferrell as another one; you can get measurably better if you put in the time and do it correctly.   

On 1/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, Aaron said:

I listened to everything Dakich said yesterday and some of what he said is completely blow hard and ratings driven and makes no sense and other things he may be right about and it raises flags. In our world of extremes people tend to be all right or all wrong. I think some of what Dakich said is right and some is beyond ridiculous and needs to be criticized.

Of his main points he compared IU and Butler having first year coaches which is absurd. Butler brought back the same roster from a good team while IU lost 3 players off a bad team and you can't compare the two. He did however, compare IU to Holtman at OSU and to me that is concerning that he is getting a team already to play a lot better that is no more talented.

He also said we need should of hired an IU guy like Alford which is completely insane. You take the best guy available. The only question is did we do that and that's very much up in the air? He also said we were wrong to fire Crean which was about the most insane thing in his entire rant.

He also said the IU fan base is excepting mediocre results which from everything I have seen could not be farther from the truth and is very upset that everything is happening the way it is. A few people may be content but from what I see, but for the most part the fan base is so far from happy right now and has been very critical and not making all these excuses he claims.  

However, the main point he said is that this is the worst coach team he has seen since he coached and he was at a practice and the players were not trying hard and coaches were crossing their hands and not caring. The first part of the point looks certainly true and the second part I have to take him at his word since I have not been at a practice and I doubt he flat out made this up. He may be overstating it to make his point but I have to believe there is at least some truth to this. Assuming this entire point is true (and I am going to assume it is for at least the most part) this to me is the only thing he said that is extremely concerning and makes me question if things will improve.

To sum it all up I think Archie deserves a fair chance and I refuse to judge him until next year when he has his own players, but some of what is going on is concerning moving forward and needs to be discussed. We live in a black and white world where everything is all one way or the other and sometimes the middle ground (including what Dakich said) can be true and I strongly believe that. 

Taking only the point in bold above....

I'm not sure Alford's the guy.  I'll start with that.  But part of the reason Jordan has been successful at Butler is there is a culture established there and a way of doing things which comes with expectations, accountability, etc.   Indiana has lost the culture Knight built here; and this job, this program are not just any job/program.  This place is a fishbowl.  It's unique.  It's one of a kind.  "The best guy available" may have been Archie Miller.  But the program is devoid of IU guys.  People who played here and know what it's like to wear INDIANA on your chest.  It's different.   It's a different sell to recruits.  More is expected. 

I wish I had a dime for every time I've heard "Purdue/Butler plays the way I'd like to see Indiana play" or some variation thereof.  Why?  Because Indiana used to play like that; and when we had pieces that fit and great talent, we won 30 games a year.  When we didn't, we won 20.   That was the culture.  The culture now?    Crean built a roster with a shotgun.  There was no  rhyme or reason to what he did.  Why do we have Tim Priller?  What on Earth does DeVonte Green do that Indiana fans can appreciate based on culture?   How about McSwain?  He offers nothing.  Clifton Moore?   Robert Johnson has gotten no better and doesn't lead.  Newkirk; same thing.  We have a roster full of warm bodies who said yes.  Not a team.  It's not all on Archie; but some is, and Dakich is right.  We look poorly coached. 

Why does anyone think McRoberts (save his awful performance the other night) is so appreciated?   Culture.  A way of doing things.  Indiana guys know it and can sell it.   I loved having Cheaney on the bench when he was.  And frankly, I think Dakich is absolutely right when he talks about Indiana.  We DID look horribly coached the other night.  We did at Michigan too.  And against ISU and FW.  We aren't improving.  If you can watch our offense and tell me what we're trying to do, you're better than I am; and I do know what I'm watching.

Defensively, you cannot think.  You have to react and play instinctually,  We look like we're thinking.  We are a step slow.  Our closeouts are awful.  We don't jump to the ball, help far enough, recover well, or rotate effectively.  We obviously don't communicate because I have seen 2 guys guarding 1 more times in a couple of games than we should see in a season.    Some of this is on players.  Some on coaches.  Is Archie Miller the right guy for Indiana?  Dayton is NOT Indiana.  And because he was right for Dayton has nothing to do with whether or not he is right for Indiana.  That's a little like saying someone who can run a corner grocery store can run Wal Mart.  Time will tell....but I love Dakich because he DOES know, and he tells it exactly like it is.  He has ratings.  He does not need to say things for that reason.  His show is the highest rated in Indianapolis for a reason.  He is on ESPN for a reason.  He is interviewed nationally for a reason.

It's easy to call him a blowhard ratings hound when he says things people don't like.  I completely get it.   But he's not.  He's honest.....and we don't want to hear it.

42 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I'm not sure Alford's the guy.  I'll start with that.  But part of the reason Jordan has been successful at Butler is there is a culture established there and a way of doing things which comes with expectations, accountability, etc.   Indiana has lost the culture Knight built here; and this job, this program are not just any job/program.  This place is a fishbowl.  It's unique.  It's one of a kind.  "The best guy available" may have been Archie Miller.  But the program is devoid of IU guys.  People who played here and know what it's like to wear INDIANA on your chest.  It's different.   It's a different sell to recruits.  More is expected. 

I wish I had a dime for every time I've heard "Purdue/Butler plays the way I'd like to see Indiana play" or some variation thereof.  Why?  Because Indiana used to play like that; and when we had pieces that fit and great talent, we won 30 games a year.  When we didn't, we won 20.   That was the culture.  The culture now?    Crean built a roster with a shotgun.  There was no  rhyme or reason to what he did.  Why do we have Tim Priller?  What on Earth does DeVonte Green do that Indiana fans can appreciate based on culture?   How about McSwain?  He offers nothing.  Clifton Moore?   Robert Johnson has gotten no better and doesn't lead.  Newkirk; same thing.  We have a roster full of warm bodies who said yes.  Not a team.  It's not all on Archie; but some is, and Dakich is right.  We look poorly coached. 

Why does anyone think McRoberts (save his awful performance the other night) is so appreciated?   Culture.  A way of doing things.  Indiana guys know it and can sell it.   I loved having Cheaney on the bench when he was.  And frankly, I think Dakich is absolutely right when he talks about Indiana.  We DID look horribly coached the other night.  We did at Michigan too.  And against ISU and FW.  We aren't improving.  If you can watch our offense and tell me what we're trying to do, you're better than I am; and I do know what I'm watching.

Defensively, you cannot think.  You have to react and play instinctually,  We look like we're thinking.  We are a step slow.  Our closeouts are awful.  We don't jump to the ball, help far enough, recover well, or rotate effectively.  We obviously don't communicate because I have seen 2 guys guarding 1 more times in a couple of games than we should see in a season.    Some of this is on players.  Some on coaches.  Is Archie Miller the right guy for Indiana?  Dayton is NOT Indiana.  And because he was right for Dayton has nothing to do with whether or not he is right for Indiana.  That's a little like saying someone who can run a corner grocery store can run Wal Mart.  Time will tell....but I love Dakich because he DOES know, and he tells it exactly like it is.  He has ratings.  He does not need to say things for that reason.  His show is the highest rated in Indianapolis for a reason.  He is on ESPN for a reason.  He is interviewed nationally for a reason.

It's easy to call him a blowhard ratings hound when he says things people don't like.  I completely get it.   But he's not.  He's honest.....and we don't want to hear it.

I wish Miller would've brought an "Indiana guy" in as an assistant.  I was never a fan of the Flint hire, so I would gladly take one over him.

I think Dakich sometimes likes to stir the pot and hear himself talk, but I also don't think his opinion should be discounted because he does know the game.

I had just about the same response ready to post the other day but did not get a chance to finish it. Glad you posted this. Dakich advocated for Alford but said it did not have to be him but what IU needed was someone that gets what you just said. He was really put off that when Crean was hired the blue ribbon panel did not talk to a single IU guy to get input.

Now there might not be an obvious IU guy to come in and coach but there have been a ton of IU guys involved in high levels of basketball and they could have helped guide the process.

Miller seems to say the right things and seems to be a guy who may fit that role but it is too early to tell right now.

I wish Miller would've brought an "Indiana guy" in as an assistant.  I was never a fan of the Flint hire, so I would gladly take one over him.
I think Dakich sometimes likes to stir the pot and hear himself talk, but I also don't think his opinion should be discounted because he does know the game.

Isn’t Schilling an Indiana guy? I would consider him and his connections to the high school coaches in this state would make him that.