Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Tennessee Tech 12/21 @ 8 pm

This one helps ease the Fort Wayne Pain! Now Archie gets a week to work on our weaknesses and hopefully bring in a shot doctor to cure our 3-point shooting woes. I still think we have decent shooters and it is just confidence. I am still a believer we can be a good team yet this year...go Hoosiers!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This one helps ease the Fort Wayne Pain! Now Archie gets a week to work on our weaknesses and hopefully bring in a shot doctor to cure our 3-point shooting woes. I still think we have decent shooters and it is just confidence. I am still a believer we can be a good team yet this year...go Hoosiers!

I like everything about your post although it dont do anything to ease the pain of Monday. Only people that know we played tonight are diehard iu fans. Monday pain will haunt us till we win against some better teams imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Just watched Archie's post-game interview on ITH.  Some notes.

-  He's still talking about Fort Wayne.  Good.  Kinda questioned the pride/leadership of guys, especially the upper classmen.

- When asked how he's going to keep this team primed for sustained effort, said something along the lines of "I think I'm just going to be a raving lunatic every day."  And "going to have a lot of headaches over the next couple months."  

- The team will be off until 12/26

I've been quiet after the IPFW loss, but I can tell you that I'd give Archie about a C- so far.  And some of these comments are very close to throwing players under the bus.  Let's not forget he called them "soft" early on.  Not really great leadership.  I also think that we're watching Coach Miller grow up.  That sounds condescending, but I don't mean it that way.  I'm basically his age and so in ways I understand some of the struggles he's making as he transitions.  I don't think he's finished becoming what he will be.  I think he'll learn more tricks of connecting and teaching, perhaps being more fluid with his adjustments, and will get to a place where his players enjoy playing for him.  Honestly, right now I don't think the team is having a ton of fun.  

In grading Archie low, don't interpret that to mean I'm questioning the hire.  I hope he's our coach for 25 years.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I disagree. Archie is an alpha dog and his players will either get with the program or find the exit. It's much easier to go from "too harsh" to a middle ground than to go from "buddy buddy" to being hard on them. That's leadership 101. Archie is approaching things the right way.

Calling them "soft" early on was a notice. I don't know what happened in practice but I'd have been perfectly fine with seeing all the starters benched for the start of this one. There was definitely better effort tonight. We'll see how that continues to play out.

Edit: a coach must also express himself true to his personality and beliefs. He needs to be himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. Archie isn't throwing them under the bus, and he isn't trying to put all of the blame on them. He accepts responsibility for his own mistakes but he also isn't afraid to call players out when needed. Players will respect that, and if they don't then those aren't guys we want in the program anyway. We need junkyard dogs and that type of player responds well to that. 

This is slightly off topic but I’m looking at the next two games on the schedule and have a question for you all. Youngstown St. is scheduled just 4 days before a road game at Wisconsin. With the team being off until after Christmas, and maybe 2 Days practice, Youngstown St., then New Years and Uw on the 2nd, do you guys think scheduling the mid-major game was a poor decision? Myself, I’d rather take the extra day to prepare for UW. I believe the Wisconsin game to be gigantic and the best opportunity for a road win at UW in 20 years. I dont like the Youngstown game at all.

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Just watched Archie's post-game interview on ITH.  Some notes.

-  He's still talking about Fort Wayne.  Good.  Kinda questioned the pride/leadership of guys, especially the upper classmen.

- When asked how he's going to keep this team primed for sustained effort, said something along the lines of "I think I'm just going to be a raving lunatic every day."  And "going to have a lot of headaches over the next couple months."  

- The team will be off until 12/26

I've been quiet after the IPFW loss, but I can tell you that I'd give Archie about a C- so far.  And some of these comments are very close to throwing players under the bus.  Let's not forget he called them "soft" early on.  Not really great leadership.  I also think that we're watching Coach Miller grow up.  That sounds condescending, but I don't mean it that way.  I'm basically his age and so in ways I understand some of the struggles he's making as he transitions.  I don't think he's finished becoming what he will be.  I think he'll learn more tricks of connecting and teaching, perhaps being more fluid with his adjustments, and will get to a place where his players enjoy playing for him.  Honestly, right now I don't think the team is having a ton of fun.  

In grading Archie low, don't interpret that to mean I'm questioning the hire.  I hope he's our coach for 25 years.

What makes you say Archie gets a C? Other than the fact it seems that your opinion is he is to tough on these players that Crean recruited that don't understand good shot selection or want any part I playing defense. Oh and if you notice any of the games like Notre Dame and Duke that he had time to game plan for the team has played much better in.

4 hours ago, ap2345 said:

What makes you say Archie gets a C? Other than the fact it seems that your opinion is he is to tough on these players that Crean recruited that don't understand good shot selection or want any part I playing defense. Oh and if you notice any of the games like Notre Dame and Duke that he had time to game plan for the team has played much better in.

I'm with you.  Our guys are no longer complaining to refs about every call against them.  No longer celebrating way too early and far too often. We are learning (stress here) to play team defense and I'm confident we'll be consistent by year end and then future seasons.  We are learning to make good passes and take good shots.  We lack depth in the post and yet our post play is improving quickly.  We lack natural leaders on the team and yet accountability is taking hold.  I wouldn't give Miller a poor grade.  I wouldn't give him any grade yet.  This team started from scratch in many respects and he's been putting basic building blocks in place.

After seeing Wofford take down UNC, yeah I'll worry about every game.

My faith in IU is at an all-time low.

All-time? I seem to remember a 6-25 season that was quite bleak. Then came a 10 win season the next year. We've got much more going for us right now. Stay strong!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

This is slightly off topic but I’m looking at the next two games on the schedule and have a question for you all. Youngstown St. is scheduled just 4 days before a road game at Wisconsin. With the team being off until after Christmas, and maybe 2 Days practice, Youngstown St., then New Years and Uw on the 2nd, do you guys think scheduling the mid-major game was a poor decision? Myself, I’d rather take the extra day to prepare for UW. I believe the Wisconsin game to be gigantic and the best opportunity for a road win at UW in 20 years. I dont like the Youngstown game at all.

No, you need the Youngstown game to shake the rust off after 4 days off. Four days is plenty to prepare for Wisconsin. 

I didn't have a problem with Archie's presser. I didn't feel he threw anyone under the bus so much as talk about how he has to approach his team in practice to get them to be diligent in executing the game plan. To me this speaks to how mentally weak this team is at this point. The seniors should be the ones acting like a lunatic in the practices and games when guys aren't executing. IU isn't losing because of lack of talent in my opinion, it's their mindset. This team is mentally weak and mentally lazy. 

I would personally give Archie a C grade.

You can't  let your team get blown out twice on your home floor to mid major teams. Notre Dame and Duke was good but the bad has been really bad. I'm hoping the future is bright, but if I'm grading the present, it hasn't been great.