Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Yogi's Picnic Basket

(2018) QB Michael Penix to IU

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/hometeam/2018/01/18/long-distance-appreciation-from-guy-toph-winner-michael-penix-jr/
TAMPA — Being handed the Guy Toph trophy — which has been awarded to Hillsborough County's top football player every year since 1939 — is a pretty big deal.
Winners love smiling for photo after photo while holding up the big, old, gold trophy with all the previous winners' names etched into it.
Tampa Bay Tech quarterback Michael Penix Jr. said he wished he could have been there Thursday morning when his name was announced as this year's winner. He wished he could have held up the trophy and smiled for everyone.
But Penix was at Indiana University attending a football meeting, because, after all, he enrolled early to get a jump on learning the IU playbook.
A few hours after Penix's brothers, 8-year-old Mishon and 12-year-old Mekhi, and parents, Michael and Takisha, accepted the Guy Toph trophy on his behalf, Michael Jr. said by phone that he was, "greatly honored."
"There are so many great players in Hillsborough County and to be named the player of the year feels so good," Penix said. "I had a great high school experience at Tampa Bay Tech. I am so thankful to everyone there."
Great indeed. In two years as TBT's quarterback, Penix threw for 4,262 yards and 61 touchdowns with only six interceptions. In the end, he left a lasting impression on his coaches and teammates.
"He is every coaches' dream," Tampa Bay Tech coach Jayson Roberts said. "He was a great leader in every way and everybody looked up to him and respected him. He led by example, always working hard and trying to do the right thing. He will be missed in a big way."
As for leaving early for Indiana, which he switched to after previously committing to the University of Tennessee, Roberts said he expects Penix to thrive right away.
"Indiana got a steal," Roberts said. "I think he will be great there. Just watch what he does."

That’s tremendous!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Glad to have this fellow, but I wonder what it means for Reese Taylor. Apparently, the main reason he committed to IU is that Allen assured him he would be a QB -- and he wouldn't have to change positions like other schools wanted him to. I realize breaking a recruiting promise is hardly new, but I'm thinking that with such a high-profile recruit, it might not sit all that well. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Glad to have this fellow, but I wonder what it means for Reese Taylor. Apparently, the main reason he committed to IU is that Allen assured him he would be a QB -- and he wouldn't have to change positions like other schools wanted him to. I realize breaking a recruiting promise is hardly new, but I'm thinking that with such a high-profile recruit, it might not sit all that well. 

That's not true at all. Reese has already stated he's fine with playinh DB

13 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

OK, that's cool. I thought I read that he was coming to IU because Allen promised him he'd play QB. 

I could see him returning punts as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see a package for him offensively. Kids a special athlete. 

19 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Yeah to what btown said. He’s still being given a chance at QB I use that word very soft.....when I say soft I mean he will play everywhere. Returns, defense and on offense there’s a good chance that he will be given his own package. Later as the season went on he told the coaches he is fine playing DB. He realizes that he is small for a QB and if he wants to get to next level...return man or DB will fit him the best. But don’t be surprised when he’s playing 2 ways or I guess 3ways if you include special teams. As Allen has always said you want your playmakers on the field when you can get them there. 

I dug up this old thread because -- well, why not. 

Apparently, CTA says Penix won't be ready by spring but will be ready to go come next season (whatever that season will look like).

This is part of the reason why I was disappointed to see the original Bucket Game canceled, then it's reincarnation and/or a potential game against Iowa axed as well. I wanted to see Tuttle with this offense for at least three more games (now, we'll get just one). 

I'm guessing there will have to be a QB "controversy" next summer. I don't think you necessarily hand the keys back to Penix, especially given that he hasn't been able to get through a full season yet. If there are spring workouts, it would seem Tuttle would have an advantage -- but I guess we'll just have to see what the summer holds ...