Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I think it's time IU recognized McRoberts's contributions and awarded him Curtis Jones's scholarship for next year. We already have a fat cast of recruits for next year (with one opening beyond Jones's scholarship reserved for Romeo plus Race coming off the redshirt list), and McRoberts is a senior next year so we'd still have that scholarship for 2019. IMO it's the right thing to do.

26 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

I think it's time IU recognized McRoberts's contributions and awarded him Curtis Jones's scholarship for next year. We already have a fat cast of recruits for next year (with one opening beyond Jones's scholarship reserved for Romeo plus Race coming off the redshirt list), and McRoberts is a senior next year so we'd still have that scholarship for 2019. IMO it's the right thing to do.

If by "next year", you mean for January - April 2018, then yes!

In August, we can then decide if we have an open ride for the 2018-2019 season for him.

It's the right thing to do - he's earned it, but remember... Zach's older brother already has well over $20 million in NBA career earnings, so floating him an in-state tuition scholly is much more symbolic than necessary.

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If by "next year", you mean for January - April 2018, then yes!

In August, we can then decide if we have an open ride for the 2018-2019 season for him.

It's the right thing to do - he's earned it, but remember... Zach's older brother already has well over $20 million in NBA career earnings, so floating him an in-state tuition scholly is much more symbolic than necessary.

Your proposal is more practical than mine, but why we would choose to recruit two more players for next year with the four we already have signed plus Race coming in as a redshirt freshman is beyond me. With only JuMo and McRoberts graduating next year, and the pool of talent available for 2019-2020, I think to go ahead and pull the trigger makes sense. We reward the young man for his hard work and we still have the scholarship available after next year.  How much money his brother has doesn't fit in the equation IMO.

56 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

Your proposal is more practical than mine, but why we would choose to recruit two more players for next year with the four we already have signed plus Race coming in as a redshirt freshman is beyond me. With only JuMo and McRoberts graduating next year, and the pool of talent available for 2019-2020, I think to go ahead and pull the trigger makes sense. We reward the young man for his hard work and we still have the scholarship available after next year.  How much money his brother has doesn't fit in the equation IMO.

I guess the answer is: We very well may not choose to add two more players for next year in addition to the five new ones who will be taking the floor. But, by leaving the schollies open until next season begins, we leave all options open. 

If next season begins with an open ride or two then and only then give it to Zach as an acknowledgement of his hard work and contributions. But only then.

1 hour ago, incrediboy said:

And, you can say that his brother making $20 million+ isn't relevant...but you can bet it has been relevant to Zach's ability to come to IU as a walk-on when he could have gotten a free ride to many D1 schools. It has meant that his parents can afford to pay tuition, room, and board for a their kid to go to his dream school. Most families cannot even consider that option when a free college education is available in many other places. 

If it has been relevant to the McRoberts family and quite certainly has been part of the equation for the IU staff...then it is relevant.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I guess the answer is: We very well may not choose to add two more players for next year in addition to the five new ones who will be taking the floor. But, by leaving the schollies open until next season begins, we leave all options open. 

If next season begins with an open ride or two then and only then give it to Zach as an acknowledgement of his hard work and contributions. But only then.

I agree, again, that your solution is the more practical. It certainly is not impossible we'll get a couple of one-and-done guys late in the game or have a senior transfer in next year. Still, if it were up to me, I'd go ahead and do it and send a message that if you walk on at IU, you CAN earn your way to a scholarship.

With today’s cbb and the amounts of transfers and grad transfers, we better hold on to it/give to Romeo. Yes McBob does deserve it but it was his choice to leave Vermont, quit all together, then decide to come to IU as a walk-on.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

With today’s cbb and the amounts of transfers and grad transfers, we better hold on to it/give to Romeo. Yes McBob does deserve it but it was his choice to leave Vermont, quit all together, then decide to come to IU as a walk-on.

We have two open scholarships with Jones's departure, one we hold open in case Romeo chooses us. Yes, the second from a practical standpoint should be held' open in the event of a transfer or another one-and-done (along with Romeo) comes along. There are several high-ranked recruits still out there. On the other hand, 2019-20 appears to be a good class, and if we use up all our scholarships this coming year and nobody leaves after one year, Morgan is our only graduate and we have the ugly possibility of someone getting "Millered" (if that's the term we're going to use to replace "Creaned"). By allocating Curtis's scholarship to McRoberts, we are assured of two players (JuMo and McBob) graduating next year (or at least using up their eligibility). To not do so does give us more options, and I understand that. But given his contribution, I think it would be a good gesture on our part and "the right thing to do." This is just my opinion, but I stand by it.

We have two open scholarships with Jones's departure, one we hold open in case Romeo chooses us. Yes, the second from a practical standpoint should be held' open in the event of a transfer or another one-and-done (along with Romeo) comes along. There are several high-ranked recruits still out there. On the other hand, 2019-20 appears to be a good class, and if we use up all our scholarships this coming year and nobody leaves after one year, Morgan is our only graduate and we have the ugly possibility of someone getting "Millered" (if that's the term we're going to use to replace "Creaned"). By allocating Curtis's scholarship to McRoberts, we are assured of two players (JuMo and McBob) graduating next year (or at least using up their eligibility). To not do so does give us more options, and I understand that. But given his contribution, I think it would be a good gesture on our part and "the right thing to do." This is just my opinion, but I stand by it.

I am going to keep saying creaned he was a master at it and it has a nice ring to it imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

People will leave. They always do with a new staff. When you were recruited and promised one way it can be quite the culture shock. We will have scholarships without forcing people out. Also, even if he did force people out I am not the least bit concerned due to it being another coaches kids. He has to set the groundwork and hopefully people buy in. For the most part it seems people have.

McRob has been a pleasant surprise. His level of play continues to demand more minutes. Given his family’s financial situation—I doubt we see the scholly awarded next year but I bet we continue to see him on the floor—a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tonight mcroberts should start. We have been getting off to slow starts time to fix it. See if someone else can provide a spark off the bench imo. He is arguably our best player right now that should be good enough

57 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Tonight mcroberts should start. We have been getting off to slow starts time to fix it. See if someone else can provide a spark off the bench imo. He is arguably our best player right now that should be good enough

I agree. A couple weeks ago I thought Hartman would be starting by now, but he's struggled a bit lately, so I'd like to see Zach. 

Not a fan of the 3 guard line-up anyway and would be hard to say that any combo of our 3 guards are among the best five.