Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Fort Wayne - 12/18 @ 8:00 E.T.

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Who is to blame then? If players need a coach to hype them up to play then that's on them. Crean recruited these guys. McRoberts was about the only kid who looked like he wanted to be out there at times last night. 

You’re kidding right? As much blame as we gave Crean, we have to give blame to Archie as well. It doesn’t go both ways. Archie didn’t have them ready to play. Plain and simple

Who is to blame then? If players need a coach to hype them up to play then that's on them. Crean recruited these guys. McRoberts was about the only kid who looked like he wanted to be out there at times last night. 
So as long as we have crean players we will make excuses? We will probably still have crean players next year. All I heard creans three first years was he gets a pass. You don't know what he inherited, etc. Are we really back to that again? I thought we had hire standards now.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

You’re kidding right? As much blame as we gave Crean, we have to give blame to Archie as well. It doesn’t go both ways. Archie didn’t have them ready to play. Plain and simple
Except you realize crean was not allowed to be criticized for three years. I tried but his apostles would have none of it. I think you and I are fighting a losing battle expecting more from this team and coach. The program is further in the gutter thean I thought when 20 point loses at home to mid majors are not a big deal to a lot of people.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Plain and simple if your focus is on handing out blame!  Your watching Archie as he's forced to cook without a key ingredient and then you're blaming him and/or the other ingredients because the resulting dish doesn't taste right.  

We need natural leadership on the court.  An extension of the coach.  We don't have it.  Plain and simple.  

8 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

So as long as we have crean players we will make excuses? We will probably still have crean players next year. All I heard creans three first years was he gets a pass. You don't know what he inherited, etc. Are we really back to that again? I thought we had hire standards now.

I'm giving Archie a pass for this year. I'm not part of the three year rebuild brigade. I expect him to have us competing by next season, and I expect an NCAA tournament birth next season. 

I don't care if we have Crean's players or Archie's players or Mike Davis' players or Lou Watson's players, we should not be losing to IPFW -- ever. I put last year's loss on Crean and I put this year's on Archie -- plain and simple. Because like I said, we SHOULD NOT lose a game like this, especially by 20 points. I'm still behind Archie and think he was a good hire, but I think last night's loss falls on him. Either the guys weren't ready to play, or he didn't make the proper adjustments or proper substitutions -- I don't know. But that was ugly. Our roster, obviously, isn't as good right now as it needs to be to be an elite program, but we played Duke even for 36 minutes with Crean's players and beat Notre Dame with Crean's players. So there is some talent there -- definitely enough to beat the likes of IPFW and Indiana State (the trees, BTW, are 5-6 now). I give Archie a smallish pass on the ISU game, because it was his first one at IU. But against IPFW? I don't. That was the second time a team his 17 3s against us, and our perimeter defense has been weak all season, so obviously there's something wrong there. That's on Archie to get that fixed, and even with this roster, he should be able to. Last night's loss was not on Crean. 

I'm giving Archie a pass for this year. I'm not part of the three year rebuild brigade. I expect him to have us competing by next season, and I expect an NCAA tournament birth next season. 
I'm giving him a pass also but I'm still going to get upset by being destroyed at home by two mid majors.

I don't care if we have Crean's players or Archie's players or Mike Davis' players or Lou Watson's players, we should not be losing to IPFW -- ever. I put last year's loss on Crean and I put this year's on Archie -- plain and simple. Because like I said, we SHOULD NOT lose a game like this, especially by 20 points. I'm still behind Archie and think he was a good hire, but I think last night's loss falls on him. Either the guys weren't ready to play, or he didn't make the proper adjustments or proper substitutions -- I don't know. But that was ugly. Our roster, obviously, isn't as good right now as it needs to be to be an elite program, but we played Duke even for 36 minutes with Crean's players and beat Notre Dame with Crean's players. So there is some talent there -- definitely enough to beat the likes of IPFW and Indiana State (the trees, BTW, are 5-6 now). I give Archie a smallish pass on the ISU game, because it was his first one at IU. But against IPFW? I don't. That was the second time a team his 17 3s against us, and our perimeter defense has been weak all season, so obviously there's something wrong there. That's on Archie to get that fixed, and even with this roster, he should be able to. Last night's loss was not on Crean. 
Totally agree

10 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This.  Having Crean's players isn't an excuse to lose by 20.  To IPFW.  AT HOME.  That was an embarrassing, and unacceptable, performance by everyone coaches included.

You're being kind calling our perimeter defense weak, our perimeter defense is a joke and hasn't gotten any better.  I might have been able to walk to Bloomington and come closer to contesting some of the shots they had.

I'm getting too old to give seasons away. Hoping and praying next year is different.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It will be i am sure of that. Probably not as good as we would like but better. Better days are ahead we have to realize that this team just isn't a tough minded team never was and probably never will. I don't give archie a pass but notice he isn't blaming anybody and isn't throwing players under the bus. These humiliating losses may be what we need to motivate archie to be a great coach i hope. A champion embraces failure by pushing harder to win. I hope i am right but if archie is a fighter this may be a blessing in disguise

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

There is no excuse valid for what happened last night, that loss was on the players and coaches. As Seth davis said, ipfw put on a coaching clinic.

Archie might crush it when he gets all his own recruits in but he has to get more out of this roster than he is getting. This isn't acceptable

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This.  Having Crean's players isn't an excuse to lose by 20.  To IPFW.  AT HOME.  That was an embarrassing, and unacceptable, performance by everyone coaches included.
You're being kind calling our perimeter defense weak, our perimeter defense is a joke and hasn't gotten any better.  I might have been able to walk to Bloomington and come closer to contesting some of the shots they had.

Sad thing is, I wouldn’t want to play them again either. Newkirk wouldn’t start for IPFW, and I doubt Rojo would.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm getting too old to give seasons away. Hoping and praying next year is different.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
We may be rebuilding still 15 years from now. Can you hang on!

So Crean couldn't get these guys to act engaged and now it seems Archie is struggling with same group.  I'd like to hear what adustments a coach can make to get a group of guys to play any different than they have for 2 different coaches already.

You think the way we prepared, played, made adjustments was fine? 20 point throttling by ipfw at home is not ok ever

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app