Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) SG Alex Hemenway to Clemson

Saturday night's game in the Bosse Winter Classic.

EVANSVILLE — Alex Hemenway saved the best Bosse Winter Classic performance for last.

He couldn't be stopped. Hemenway, a Castle High School junior, scored at least 10 points in each quarter on his way to a school-record 53 points. He made 17 field goals and all 13 of his free throw attempts.

"It's very humbling," Hemenway said. "I've heard a lot about all the greats who have played at Castle and now no one has scored as many as I have before. I'm grateful to be added to the list and very blessed."

The previous record was 52 points set by Luke Sprague on Dec. 28, 2007.

"I think it's kind of neat because Luke was a classy kid and a great basketball player," coach Brian Gibson said. "If anybody is going to break his record, I'm glad it's Alex Hemenway."

Castle defeated Dayton (Ohio) Thurgood Marshall 101-73 and now has momentum from back-to-back wins heading into the Gibson County Tournament. Zach Messinger added 18 points while Triston Wilkinson finished with 12.

Hemenway said he felt normal coming in but knew something was clicking once he made a few shots.

The Knights (3-3) weren't fazed by playing the eighth and final game Saturday at Bosse High School. Gibson credited the fast start to the Knights deciding as a team to warm up in the auxiliary gym beforehand because there were only about five minutes between games. 

Hemenway's status on the recruiting trail grew larger with his record-breaking performance. He has nine Division I offers and is drawing interest from likely as many who haven't offered yet.

Castle plays again Tuesday at Wood Memorial.

"We need to do exactly what we did on the defensive end again Tuesday against Wood Memorial," Hemenway said. "I'm looking forward to that matchup."

The kid can score.  He's got a knack to find the open shot and can handle the ball extremely well.  That tends to get him to the foul line, which he can sink.  He also has a hustle and grit component to him that kinda of reminds of the way Zach McRoberts is playing right now.  Last year he was one of those players you didn't really notice and all of the sudden you would see he put up 20 in the box score.  He was a really good compliment to Nunge.  This year, I would imagine he'll be the focus.  His team isn't as strong as last year's but they should hold their own in the SIAC.  

Edited by Lebowski

Update on Hemenway and his recruitment.  Creighton and Xavier currently recruiting him the hardest.  On IU:

Indiana has also been recruiting Hemenway fairly hard, but the Hoosiers have not offered him a scholarship yet.

“They’re recruiting me fairly hard as well. They’re just getting their foot in the door, and making sure I know that I’m on their radar,” said Hemenway. “Tom Ostrom is the guy that calls and contacts me, but me and coach Miller stay in contact pretty frequently.”

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/hemenway-leaving-doors-open/

Hemenway pours in 33 points, joins Castle's 1,000-point club in win over Bosse

NEWBURGH – A year from now, Alex Hemenway may stand alone as Castle High School’s all-time leading scorer in boys’ basketball.

But he is more than pleased where he and the Knights are at this point in his junior season. Normally a right-hander, Hemenway hit a driving left-handed jumper in the lane to join Castle’s 1,000-point club with 3:22 left in the second quarter Thursday night.

He went on to score 33 points to power the Knights to a 69-65 victory over Class 3A No. 3-ranked Bosse on Castle’s Homecoming. Hemenway, a 6-foot-4 guard, boosted his career total to 1,023 points. He is No. 5 on the school’s all-time list. Blake Simmons is No. 4 with 1,358 points before graduating in 2013. Dedrick Finn is the Knights’ career leader with 1,438 points before graduating in 2002.

“Honestly, I don’t think about all that,” Hemenway said. “I worry about what I can do to make the team successful.”

He put on a show in front of a scout from Purdue and Nebraska assistant Michael Lewis, a Jasper native.

“It’s great to have college coaches come down to watch you play,” Hemenway said. “I’m excited to see how they keep recruiting me.”

Nebraska is one of nine NCAA Division I schools who have offered him a scholarship. The others are Butler, Xavier, Belmont, Clemson, Creighton, University of Evansville, IUPUI and Valparaiso.

He said eclipsing 1,000 points was great.

“It’s a humbling accomplishment,” Hemenway said. “Of course, I’m hungry for more. It’s very humbling.”

Alex Hemenway poured in 33 points to lift Castle past Bosse and lifted himself into the Knights' 1,000-point club Wochit

Castle coach Brian Gibson said Hemenway must have the ball in his hands for the Knights to be successful. Although Castle has become a basketball powerhouse in recent years, its reputation as a football school still lingers. Gibson couldn’t help himself, using a football analogy to describe Hemenway and Jace Stieler’s one-two punch against the Bulldogs.

When he was a young teacher at Castle, Gibson would share cafeteria duty with legendary football coach John Lidy, now deceased.

“People would ask coach Lidy why would he have somebody carry the ball 40 times,” Gibson said. “He would say, ‘The ball ain’t heavy.’’’

Hemenway hit four 3-point goals and was 9-for-11 from the line. Stieler added 24 points for the Knights, who won their third in a row in improving to 13-6 overall and 3-2 in the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference.

“Everybody knows about Alex,” Gibson said. “He is a tremendous talent, but they are learning about Jace. I firmly believe he is one of the better players in the conference. Jace has really worked hard. He’s an example of good things happening to good people.”

Castle controlled the tempo from the outset, but Bosse began getting steals and breakaway layups in the second quarter. But the Knights weathered the storm and maintained the lead through most of the game.

More: Alex Hemenway breaks Castle's single-game scoring record

More: Castle's Hemenway offered by Butler, his ninth; former teammate Nunge shines in Iowa debut

“Honestly, it was just coach telling us to stay composed,” Hemenway said. “We know they like to play fast, an uptempo style of play. We settled down and stayed under control and played how we wanted to play.

“It was a very big win. Bosse is a very good team and they showed it tonight. We stayed composed and handled the pressure real well and ended in a win.”

Castle (15-6) defeated Evanville North 69-57.  It was Senior Night for Castle so Hemenway didn't enter the game until midway through the 1st Q.  He finished with 20 pts. on the night, 11 coming in the 4th Q.  

Hemenway is well on his way to becoming Castle's all-time leading scorer.

CASTLE’S ALL-TIME LEADING SCORERS

Player                        Points   Year Graduated

Dedrick Finn               1,438     2002

David Hinton              1,436     1989

Jack Nunge                 1,376      2017

Blake Simmons           1,358      2013

Alex Hemenway         1,053      2019*

Dudes a great shooter with moves and probably someone we could honestly get if we wanted.  This is the type of kid that if we let go, we will be sayin, "why didn't we grab him" later when we watch him produce for someone like Butler.

4 minutes ago, IUHAHN82 said:

Dudes a great shooter with moves and probably someone we could honestly get if we wanted.  This is the type of kid that if we let go, we will be sayin, "why didn't we grab him" later when we watch him produce for someone like Butler.

There's too many of those kids next year. We won't be able to have them all