Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

Three Year Rebuild?

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

One of my patients (another diehard Hoosier) calls him "Mid-Major Miller". It drives me mad. Everytime we are getting thumped by another team this year, this phrase is resonating in my brain.

Can't wait to hopefully be on the level with elite programs again. Please let it be.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Don't be so gentle with the novacaine needle next time.

In all honesty, I agree with Josh - we do have enough talent to be in the tournament this year, but barely. Having said that, we have enough working against us that I won't be surprised if we don't make it. Mainly, everyone is learning a new system, our seniors haven't really played like seniors so far, and our roster is terribly unbalanced and woefully lacking in some key areas.

Actually, the fact that they are learning a new system is the only thing that gives me hope that we may sneak in. I do not in any way think this roster would be any better playing Crean's way. We simply don't have the offensive resources to outscore many teams, nor do we have enough players that can create their own offense. All those lost possessions would absolutely kill this team.

I don't know that I necessarily think it will be 3 years. If we can manage to bring in Langford next year, I think we are a tournament team. Maybe we are even without him. We have to assume the current players are going to improve and also know the system better. Hopefully we have a couple freshmen who are ready to contribute right away, and Thompson will have a year under his belt as well. I think we'll see a lot more consistency/improvement from year to year once CAM gets going.

8 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

A good coach doesn’t need three years to rebuild. Mike White had Florida in the Elite Eight in year two. Sampson had us in the top ten in year two.

Fred Glass screwed up football and basketball. He runs his programs on the cheap and has no problem settling for mediocrity. McRobbie doesn’t care either.

Archie gets paid more than Mike White. But we all want to hear more about how much you hate Glass.

7 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

A good coach doesn’t need three years to rebuild. Mike White had Florida in the Elite Eight in year two. Sampson had us in the top ten in year two.

Fred Glass screwed up football and basketball. He runs his programs on the cheap and has no problem settling for mediocrity. McRobbie doesn’t care either.

I tend to agree it doesn't take the right coach that long.  Miller didn't walk into the wasteland that Crean did.

McRobbie has far more things to worry about.  Glass, well anyone that wants my opinion on him just needs to read my signature.

Guys, Archie was hired March 25th. Less than 9 months ago. Holy hell, go bury your head in the snow like an ostrich till you cool off.

1) I actually agree that on paper, this team has enough talent to make the tournament. I think in reality, most of our “leaders” have not lived up to their paper talent, and the pieces don’t mesh as well as they should. That said, there’s plenty more basketball to be played, and I expect Archie to have the guys playing their best at the end of the season. So yes, I’m saying there’s a chance!

2) New offense and defense is going to reduce the effectiveness of paper talent as they learn how to execute. This also required a great deal of erasing old lessons and habits.

Regardless, can we all take a season to breath? We just fired the guy who (sadly) put together the most successful stretch of IU basketball since the early 90’s. Archie wasn’t going to walk-in and win a National Championship or even win at an acceptable level with the same (but actually worse) team that lost to Josh Pastner in the first round of the NIT. Anyone who believed otherwise let their excitement over Crean’s firing get the best of them.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

People are always delusional when a new coach is hired. I remeber people expecting crean would have us in the ncaa by year 2. Its possible we make the ncaa next year but id say the odds are against it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm just using common sense. This team is not good enough to get in and has no shooters. Winning Saturday would be a massive upset.

I believe we have better shooters than we have shown this season. Just saying if they got it going this weekend still time to get enough quality wins to get in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

People are always delusional when a new coach is hired. I remeber people expecting crean would have us in the ncaa by year 2. Its possible we make the ncaa next year but id say the odds are against it.

We must have been talking in different circles, because I don't remember anyone that I know thinking Crean would have us in by the second year.

We must have been talking in different circles, because I don't remember anyone that I know thinking Crean would have us in by the second year.

Agreed. There wasn’t anyone on any of the boards I was on at the time thinking it was a possibility once they knew who was on the team. Year one might as well have been shut down. Year two was first year any actual basketball players showed up and none were close to talented freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Alk kinds of guys on peegs were drinking major major crean kool aid. They thought year two which was a fiasco would be a bubble ncaa team. I believe in year three they expected big things and we won three big ten games.