Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

Game Thread: IU @ Louisville(University-6)

The thing that (is supposed to) make seniors so valuable is reliable and smart play.  We don't get that from ours, and I think a lot that is because they played the first three years in an undisciplined and chaotic system.  When you think about it, how many players did we have in the Crean years that were great seniors?  Not many.

Just now, pumpfake said:

The thing that (is supposed to) make seniors so valuable is reliable and smart play.  We don't get that from ours, and I think a lot that is because they played the first three years in an undisciplined and chaotic system.  When you think about it, how many players did we have in the Crean years that were great seniors?  Not many.

Hulls and Yogi off the top of my head were the only seniors who spent all 4 years that were important cogs in the team their senior year. 

At least the expectations aren't nearly as high as they were with last years team.
My expectations weren't high last year with crean as coach. Hes a bad coach. I thought maybe 20 wins this year but now I'm thinking more like 14.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Hulls and Yogi off the top of my head were the only seniors who spent all 4 years that were important cogs in the team their senior year. 

Yep.  I don't know if I'd even include Sheehey as his senior year was, IMO, disappointing.  I still believe you can compete with a good system and the right players.

It's amazing how everyone hops off the ledge after any game or any performance. We lost to a talented, long, Louisville team by a small margin on the road. Yes, we could have won the game without a doubt and wasted opportunities killed us, but let's take a breath and understand that we went head to head and played a tough team close. Defensively this team was solid today, and it seems to get better every game. I still think this team will be pretty solid come February or March. This fan base is something else sometimes, I swear to god.

I have no problem with you being an eternal optimist, just don’t tell me I can’t expect more. I don’t go into games conceding the game because of rankings, home court, etc. I want and expect to win. When we have a chance, but miss all 12 3s in the second half, turn it over 15 times for the game, and get nothing from our senior captain, I get frustrated and can’t just shrug the shoulders and say no big deal. Sorry

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I have no problem with you being an eternal optimist, just don’t tell me I can’t expect more. I don’t go into games conceding the game because of rankings, home court, etc. I want and expect to win. When we have a chance, but miss all 12 3s in the second half, turn it over 15 times for the game, and get nothing from our senior captain, I get frustrated and can’t just shrug the shoulders and say no big deal. Sorry

Thereis an excuse for every lossbut not for me

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Yeah in a lot of ways ROJO streaky shooting so reminds me of Will S. And today I do t think his defense was all that great either man he just looks so out of it out there

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Candy Stripes said:

I want us to go in and win every game as much as the next guy, but I have an issue with people talking about this game like it was the double digit loss to Indiana State. This team is getting better each game, have some kind of positive outlook is all I am saying. I never say it's okay to lose, I hate it too. I get pissed during games when Newkirk gives the game away. I'm not saying it was okay how they lost this game. Don't get it twisted, I just wanted people to realize that with every loss there's something to take out of it. Positively, IU held them to under their PPG average,  competed on the boards with the longest team they'll play all year, and our bigs are really good. Negatively, we don't have anyone to close games right now, and we can't shoot at all. 

I want us to go in and win every game as much as the next guy, but I have an issue with people talking about this game like it was the double digit loss to Indiana State. This team is getting better each game, have some kind of positive outlook is all I am saying. I never say it's okay to lose, I hate it too. I get pissed during games when Newkirk gives the game away. I'm not saying it was okay how they lost this game. Don't get it twisted, I just wanted people to realize that with every loss there's something to take out of it. Positively, IU held them to under their PPG average,  competed on the boards with the longest team they'll play all year, and our bigs are really good. Negatively, we don't have anyone to close games right now, and we can't shoot at all. 

Fair enough. We probably agree more than we disagree on this, but not sure I am seeing progress every game as you are, ie Michigan after Duke. I badly want to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but feeling more and more we are two seasons away. Hope I’m wrong.

Much like the Michigan game this game was lost by our Seniors. I am ready for them to cycle out. There are so many plays from this game that shows why. Coming out of a timeout and Josh dribbles straight to the sideline and just dribbles out of bounds for one. The passes. The shots. I think with a higher IQ we could overcome many more limitations. Unfortunately our Seniors very rarely make winning plays.

As a huge Archie supporter I also want to point out how disappointed with him I was in at least the last 2-4 minutes. Josh is what he is and we may not have had a better option. Rojo clearly had nothing and was at best a liability. Why not go with Hartman who can hit a shot? IMO that is a mistake.

Just now, Candy Stripes said:

Fair enough. We probably agree more than we disagree on this, but not sure I am seeing progress every game as you are, ie Michigan after Duke. I badly want to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but feeling more and more we are two seasons away. Hope I’m wrong.

To be honest there wasn't a whole lot great things about Michigan, you're right. I think next year we could see a NCAA tournament team, but that all depends on who transfers, and other things we can't predict like injuries. The recruits are all underrated, and we'll have a smart point guard again. Deron and Juwan will be better and more players will be bought in. This is all assuming we don't get Romeo, which I'm not optimistic about.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Much like the Michigan game this game was lost by our Seniors. I am ready for them to cycle out. There are so many plays from this game that shows why. Coming out of a timeout and Josh dribbles straight to the sideline and just dribbles out of bounds for one. The passes. The shots. I think with a higher IQ we could overcome many more limitations. Unfortunately our Seniors very rarely make winning plays.

As a huge Archie supporter I also want to point out how disappointed with him I was in at least the last 2-4 minutes. Josh is what he is and we may not have had a better option. Rojo clearly had nothing and was at best a liability. Why not go with Hartman who can hit a shot? IMO that is a mistake.

I agree with the Miller statement. I thought he should've went with Green and perhaps called a TO after Ville stepped out of bounds. 

I think it’s really hard to judge how this team and nexts year team will make jumps in improvement. We can’t outscore teams, so it’s heavily dependent on how they improve on defense. I’m seeing some improvements in stretches on the defensive side, so we really need to make those stretches longer. A couple of guys that can shoot 35% from wide open 3’s would help. I was amazed at how many open shots they missed.