Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Allen was the correct choice

Just now, iubb said:

Lets give him more than a year before we all **** all over him.

By your logic we Should fire our basketball coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archie was given a crappy situation. Allen was not. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie was given a crappy situation. Allen was not. 

Hhmm...

Allen was given a good situation on defense....which he built; and Indiana ranked #26 in the nation in total defense this season. Wanna' know some of the teams behind that?   Florida.  Miami (FL).   Iowa. Texas.  Notre Dame.  Oklahoma.    Stop me when this is a familiar tone around here.  All without Marcelino Ball....a kid they were counting on basically to lead them or be the #2 guy in tackles.  (In case you were wondering, the year before he got to Indiana, in 2015 the defense was rated #120)

His offense?  Lost several linemen; one an all American.  Lost almost all experience at RB; and played essentially 2 freshmen and an inexperienced sophomore.   He had very mediocre QB's; and lost both a starting WR and RB (Westbrook and Majette) to injury.  On top of that, Indiana was the only team in the country to play 3 different top 5 times at the time of the game; and they played 2 more top 15 teams at the time of the game; and damned near won both of them despite injuries and inexperience on offense.

Anyone who reads this board knows you're not an Allen fan, and don't care for DeBord either; but you have to at the very least be objective; and you haven't been.   Hell, you were all in on Peyton Ramsey, and couldn't even acknowledge his very obvious shortcomings as a passer.  

Talk to me again about how Allen didn't inherit a crappy situation.  Please keep talking about what a poor coach he is; however it wouldn't be a bad thing to back it up with something other than your own biased opinion.

59 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Hhmm...

Allen was given a good situation on defense....which he built; and Indiana ranked #26 in the nation in total defense this season. Wanna' know some of the teams behind that?   Florida.  Miami (FL).   Iowa. Texas.  Notre Dame.  Oklahoma.    Stop me when this is a familiar tone around here.  All without Marcelino Ball....a kid they were counting on basically to lead them or be the #2 guy in tackles.  (In case you were wondering, the year before he got to Indiana, in 2015 the defense was rated #120)

His offense?  Lost several linemen; one an all American.  Lost almost all experience at RB; and played essentially 2 freshmen and an inexperienced sophomore.   He had very mediocre QB's; and lost both a starting WR and RB (Westbrook and Majette) to injury.  On top of that, Indiana was the only team in the country to play 3 different top 5 times at the time of the game; and they played 2 more top 15 teams at the time of the game; and damned near won both of them despite injuries and inexperience on offense.

Anyone who reads this board knows you're not an Allen fan, and don't care for DeBord either; but you have to at the very least be objective; and you haven't been.   Hell, you were all in on Peyton Ramsey, and couldn't even acknowledge his very obvious shortcomings as a passer.  

Talk to me again about how Allen didn't inherit a crappy situation.  Please keep talking about what a poor coach he is; however it wouldn't be a bad thing to back it up with something other than your own biased opinion.

We should easily be 7-5 right now. The games against Maryland and Purdue were massive duds. We score 39 points against Maryland and the offense finally has some success, and then the special teams and defense don't come to play. Their third string quarterback beats up.

Then we go to Purdue to play to keep the bucket for the 5th year in a row and become bowl eligible and we come out and crap the bed. Their backup running back has a career day. If we don't win games like that then we will never have success due to the division we are in. 

Lets give him more than a year before we all **** all over him.

By your logic we Should fire our basketball coach.

That’s so ridiculous. Archie Miller is a proven winner as a division 1 head coach. IU should never hire a damn high school head coach. Total joke but as an IU fb fan for the last 40yrs the school doesn’t care about football

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Hhmm...

Exactly.

27 minutes ago, Bruce038 said:

That’s so ridiculous. Archie Miller is a proven winner as a division 1 head coach. IU should never hire a damn high school head coach. Total joke but as an IU fb fan for the last 40yrs the school doesn’t care about football

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

He hasn't coached HS in over a decade. Other notable coaches who once coached high school: Vince Lombardi, Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Gus Malzan, Barry Alvarez, Urban Meyer, Jimmy Johnson, Roy Williams...

2 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

He hasn't coached HS in over a decade. Other notable coaches who once coached high school: Vince Lombardi, Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, Gus Malzan, Barry Alvarez, Urban Meyer, Jimmy Johnson, Roy Williams...

Damn you and your ridiculous facts.  Your stupidly sound logic.  And your unmitigated gall in pointing out the short sighted and elementary stupidity of that argument.

We should easily be 7-5 right now. The games against Maryland and Purdue were massive duds. We score 39 points against Maryland and the offense finally has some success, and then the special teams and defense don't come to play. Their third string quarterback beats up.
Then we go to Purdue to play to keep the bucket for the 5th year in a row and become bowl eligible and we come out and crap the bed. Their backup running back has a career day. If we don't win games like that then we will never have success due to the division we are in. 

So your entire opinion is based on failures in two games? Got it. Give Allen a chance. Defense has improved drastically under him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

A lot of emotions here regarding CTA, but I think the thing that irritates me the most is that instead of investing the $ and going after a proven HEAD COACH, not a coordinator, we instead will spend millions to fill in the horseshoe to add more seats that we cannot fill. 

I understand we are not a football powerhouse, but I have to ask the question...with all of the recent SEC coaches getting the ax, are there any that we feel we could realistically have a shot at pulling in? Say we did decide to part ways with Allen after 1 year, would a Brett Bielema or any others actually give us a look? Not sure we have the $ to pony up, as we didn't even match what Wilson was making for CTA when he took the job. If Glass didn't feel he was worth what Wilson was getting paid, should he be leading the program? 

With that being said...defense has seen vast improvement, but I just don't see Allen having anything that will enable him to have better long term recruiting success than any of the other coaches who have stepped foot in Bloomington...but I hope I am wrong. 

Edited by monskisprodigy

41 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

A lot of emotions here regarding CTA, but I think the thing that irritates me the most is that instead of investing the $ and going after a proven HEAD COACH, not a coordinator, we instead will spend millions to fill in the horseshoe to add more seats that we cannot fill. 

I understand we are not a football powerhouse, but I have to ask the question...with all of the recent SEC coaches getting the ax, are there any that we feel we could realistically have a shot at pulling in? Say we did decide to part ways with Allen after 1 year, would a Brett Bielema or any others actually give us a look? Not sure we have the $ to pony up, as we didn't even match what Wilson was making for CTA when he took the job. If Glass didn't feel he was worth what Wilson was getting paid, should he be leading the program? 

With that being said...defense has seen vast improvement, but I just don't see Allen having anything that will enable him to have better long term recruiting success than any of the other coaches who have stepped foot in Bloomington...but I hope I am wrong. 

1. The current south end zone project will not add anymore seats...there will be a couple suites for corporate events and possibly recruiting visits but not fan seating. The Excellence Academy will be used by other IU sports and it should only help in recruiting.

2. Bret Bielema is an @$$...in 5 years at Arkansas he went 29-34. Do you really think he would do better playing in the Big Tean East?

4 hours ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

1. The current south end zone project will not add anymore seats...there will be a couple suites for corporate events and possibly recruiting visits but not fan seating. The Excellence Academy will be used by other IU sports and it should only help in recruiting.

2. Bret Bielema is an @$$...in 5 years at Arkansas he went 29-34. Do you really think he would do better playing in the Big Tean East?

1. Thank you for the correction on the endzone, was not aware it didn't add any seats...

2. I think he would do just fine, seeing as Bielema won 3 big ten championships while HC at Wisconsin and has a 97-58 overall record as a head coach. I believe his first two losing seasons ever came at Arkansas.

Edited by monskisprodigy

19 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't disagree with one word of that.   I think there's more to the story than bad coaches, that's all.

That sir is the reason we have Allen. Wilson apparently was a little too tough. 

No, Wilson was a drunk who didn't care about his players' safety. He cared zero about tradition (wanted to get rid of Hep's Rock). He had so many incidents with players, students, police, staff and other coaches that it was time to go.

13 minutes ago, mamasa said:

No, Wilson was a drunk who didn't care about his players' safety. He cared zero about tradition (wanted to get rid of Hep's Rock). He had so many incidents with players, students, police, staff and other coaches that it was time to go.

Yet our AD gave him a nice, big extension not terribly long before he was removed as HC. That either tells me our AD is out of touch with coaches, not good at his job or there are two sides to that story. 

Yet our AD gave him a nice, big extension not terribly long before he was removed as HC. That either tells me our AD is out of touch with coaches, not good at his job or there are two sides to that story. 

Think what you want. I know what I know and said it here during Wilson's tenure (you don't see me throwing out BS unsubstantiated posts here do you?). Don't know what Glass knew, but I am sure there's a ton of pressure to keep a winning coach. I can tell you that Glass did not Luke CKW or his methods. Abuse and disregard for safety were the final straw, and those 2 things aren't the same as toughening up kids.