Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Allen was the correct choice

40 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

I don’t care if a coach leaves for greener pastures. It means they did a good job here and elevated the program. IU could have landed Brohm had they chosen to pursue him. We were a much more attractive program a year ago than Purdue.

But for a program like us, you're right back to square one after they leave and/or you become a perennial stepping-stone program or a place for failed coaches to land. How has Rutgers fared after Schiano left?

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

I don’t care if a coach leaves for greener pastures. It means they did a good job here and elevated the program. IU could have landed Brohm had they chosen to pursue him. We were a much more attractive program a year ago than Purdue.

Were we? This was mentioned in another thread, but a case could be made that Purdue is a better job right now thanks to the division setup. We have to play 3 of the top 10 programs in college football EVERY year, while they get Illinois, Northwestern and Minnesota. That would weigh heavily on the mind of any prospective coach.

I hope I'm eventually proven wrong but I haven't been impressed by Allen. I don't really dig the "love each other" motto. Seems strange for a football team but whatever. The team was not a disciplined team at all and the stupid, silly mistakes cost us time and time again.

Next year will be a big year for him. If we go 4-8, or worse, he's going to lose all the momentum that Wilson created. I understand that Wilson had to go for non-football reasons, but right now I'm thinking we downgraded with this hire. 

I liken Coach Allen to Coach Hoeppner (but even better). He's an Indiana guy. He's a players coach. He's young. He's hungry. He's in it for the long haul. He's loyal. He's passionate. 
What happens in the future is anyone's guess, but mine is that he will take IU further than any other coach since Pont. He has the administration's backing. He has wonderful amenities at his finger tips. The pieces are set. Recruiting is stronger than ever before. It's just a matter of time. 
Personally, I'm incredibly excited for the potential of IUFB. More so than I've ever been. 

I actually share these sentiments. It's just a matter of seeing it transfer to the field.

After Purdue and Brohms season, recruiting Indiana will be harder than it has been the past few years. This worries me a little.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I actually share these sentiments. It's just a matter of seeing it transfer to the field.

After Purdue and Brohms season, recruiting Indiana will be harder than it has been the past few years. This worries me a little.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think recruiting in Indiana was going to be hard no matter what. That's why we needed to have a 7+ win season; that would have shown potential recruit that we were finally turning the corner. Next season will be pivotal in that sense because if we have another 4 or 5 win season all momentum in recruiting will be lost.

Couple of things:

1) The Mike Davis rule of coaching hires: If you're looking at someone that no other school at your level is looking at, you better strongly consider the possibility that you're the one that's wrong. There are exceptions, but I'm confident that there are more failures than successes if you're the outlier. CTA wasn't getting a sniff of a power conference job anytime soon.

2) That being said,  unless the program goes utterly sideways, I believe a Coach should be given a full 5 year recruiting rotation to fully establish his culture. Love the dude's energy and passion. He needs to be given a full chance to succeed.

3) Man, I hope Brohm gets the UT job. That guy is too good for Purdue, even if it's only 1 more year. He needs to be somewhere else now.

20 minutes ago, Demo said:

Couple of things:

1) The Mike Davis rule of coaching hires: If you're looking at someone that no other school at your level is looking at, you better strongly consider the possibility that you're the one that's wrong. There are exceptions, but I'm confident that there are more failures than successes if you're the outlier. CTA wasn't getting a sniff of a power conference job anytime soon.

2) That being said,  unless the program goes utterly sideways, I believe a Coach should be given a full 5 year recruiting rotation to fully establish his culture. Love the dude's energy and passion. He needs to be given a full chance to succeed.

3) Man, I hope Brohm gets the UT job. That guy is too good for Purdue, even if it's only 1 more year. He needs to be somewhere else now.

5 years? I say if we don't see improvement in 3, then it might be time to move on. The roster he inherited is pretty decent and he had a full year (as DC) to recruit on that side of the ball. I'm a big Allen fan and I'm really hoping he succeeds and stays at IU for a long time, but if we win 4 or 5 games each of the next two seasons then it may be a sign that things aren't working out.

37 minutes ago, Demo said:

Couple of things:

Allen never had the opportunity to be picked up as a HC elsewhere, but I do think he would have ended up the DC at a top 10 program within the next few years if he never got promoted here. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

LOL, this is going to be Painter to Mizzou 2.0. Brohm isn't going anywhere.

And some fans complain about Glass; what Currie is doing at UT is pure comedy. UT Football is looking like the confident ugly guy that keeps getting turned down by every girl at the party.

Back in 2008, Clemson fired Tommy Bowden and replaced him with the team's OC, a fellow who had never been a head coach anywhere -- Dabo Swinney. He finished out the season, going 4-3. After that, he had a winning season, then a losing season -- then took off into the stratosphere. 

I'm predicting the same success for Tom Allen. 

Or not. 

Allen is the right choice....... to lead us to 4-5 wins a season.
When do we fire the clown who hires all of these bad coaches?

Lets give him more than a year before we all **** all over him.

By your logic we Should fire our basketball coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk