Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Allen was the correct choice

Completely agree, my point was the defensive numbers might be inflated due to a slower tempo affording few possessions in which our opponent had the chance to gain yards and score points. I haven't looked at the numbers so that might not be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Legitimate points. Have to look at time of possession numbers as one aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I was and still am all in favor of Tom Allen as the choice for head coach. It was a case just two years ago, folks were screaming because our offense played too fast and that it was killing our defense (particularly with three and outs and losing the time of possession in most games).

The fact that we became more conservative on offense is not a surprise but a plus. Maybe too much of a swing but you also had to look at the talent on offense. Our recruiting classes over the past three years, were not at the level when Wilson first arrived (regardless of how we got the players). Certainly each class had some talent but not depth that we need. My concern this past year was on the offensive side of the ball and in particular the O-Line. I was hopeful of our play in QB and RB positions would be okay, but our O-line didn't gel as I had hoped. Without the guys upfront, the rest of the positions struggled. Injuries hurt in all areas offense.

I am again hopeful that with another year under their belts (players, coaches, scheme familiarity etc.) our O-line will improve. With that improvement, we can be more creative. Questions again arise in all of our positions (receivers being our least concern) but without solid blocking, offensive production is not consistent. 

I know we have a lot of holes to fill on defense (LB in particular, and D-Line in general - depth) but I feel more confident that we can fill those gaps.

We have a nice recruiting class coming in. I would have liked to see more linemen on both sides of the ball... call it a theme. We really need to retain that level of recruiting year in and year out.

Six+ wins, another bowl (and maybe a bowl win!), get the bucket back! and another strong recruiting class with more linemen. Those are my wishes for the 2018/19 season.

Edited by VPC

On 1/13/2018 at 4:02 PM, HoosierAloha said:

I'm a fan of his as well but how much does that have to do with the offense slowing down? Fewer possessions usually equals fewer yards and fewer points.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Our offense didn’t slow down. We were 5th in the country this past season in terms of most plays ran per game and offensive tempo. It was faster than in 2016 with KW.

D4582A35-7AA1-42E1-9025-11D849B7C835.png