Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

A Note to Indiana from Rashard Fant

Link to iuhoosiers.com
Classy kid.  Love seeing things like this (I added the bold to the end):

Dear Indiana University,

THANK YOU! I feel it is only appropriate to begin this letter with those two words because of everything that you have given me, shown me, and experienced with me. I came to Bloomington as an 18 year-old boy, but now I am leaving here as a soon to be (January 8th) 23 year-old man! I must admit that prior to arriving on campus, I did not know much about this prestigious university other than it was known for basketball and being the birthplace of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity. Honestly, when I first received an offer from IU, attending here was the last thing on my mind. Without hesitation, I can say that I am so thankful I ultimately chose to come to IU! I have met many amazing people during my time here, have had life changing experiences and conversations, and have had the opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and find myself as a person. It was not always easy during my time here, but each time I had to face and overcome adversity, it helped me grow as a student, as a football player, and most importantly as a man. As a student, IU has given me more than I could have ever asked for… a Bachelor's degree, soon to be a Master's degree, department and community engagement and outreach experiences, all while playing the game that I love.

I came to IU thinking that I might be able to continue what I had started in high school, which was to help build up and contribute to a football program. I wanted to help bring more of a winning mindset to this football team. However, what I was actually given was the opportunity to accomplish more than I could have imagined both on the field and within the community. Although we did not win a B1G or a national championship, we got to the first bowl game in eight years, then made it back-to-back bowl games the next year, all while beating Purdue four times in a row, and being able to improve the defense to one of the best IU has seen in years. I think that could definitely be considered helping to turn a program around and working toward holding each other and the program to a higher standard. With that being said, as I leave, I hope that I am not remembered as an All-Big Ten cornerback or any other statistic or catchphrase, but rather as a great representative of all that this university and athletic department hopes to instill during a student's time here. I always talk about how my goal in life is to positively affect as many lives as possible. Being a student-athlete at Indiana University gave me unlimited opportunities to do just that. I only hope that, whether it was a brief encounter or a lifelong friendship, anyone whose path I crossed would say that the thing they appreciated about me the most was that I cared about people, was positive, and wanted to bring laughter and smiles to the faces of people, whether I knew them or not.

Coach Shelby and I always talk about leaving a place better than it was when you arrived, and I believe I have done that and hope those who know me would agree. Lastly, I want to say thank you to the administration at IU who helped me grow as a man and provided me with everything I needed in order to succeed at IU, giving me opportunities that allowed me to reach far beyond the sidelines to make a difference in both the community and the department. Thank you to Coach Shelby, the many teammates and coaches I have had over the last four-and-a-half years that believed in me, have helped me grow as a player, and have aided in my success on the field. Thank you to all of the professors that have worked with me, challenged me, and that have taken the time to not only educate me but to get to know me as a person. I want to give a special thank you to Professor Cheryl Hughes for impacting my life in the greatest way a professor ever has! Thank you to the fans who have not only cheered the team on but also believed in me every step of the way. We know it was not always easy and there was a LOT of heartbreak, but my teammates and I definitely appreciate you all sticking with us. While I cannot say that I was in a rush to do so, I am now excited to be a part of the loyal fan base of the IU Football team and I cannot wait to see the Breakthrough that will come soon. Last but not least… I want to say, thank you to the "24 Sports 1 Team" Family! As athletes, we share many characteristics although we play different sports, but the support we provide for each other is second to none. I came here thinking "24 Sports 1 Team" was just some catchy mantra on the walls, but actually it is what the athletic programs here truly live by and I am honored and proud to have been a part of it. Bloomington is not just some city in Indiana or where my school is located, it is a part of me for life. It is my second home!

For the athletes that will come after me here at IU, and especially in the football program, remember these three things:
  1. Your sport is not who you are; it is what you do. Find yourself outside of athletics!
  2. You are a part of something that is bigger than yourself!
  3. Leave a place or a team better than it was when you joined it!

Much Love,
Rashard Fant #16

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." –Deuteronomy 31:6

Tremendous!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app