Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

GnarlyTimGarl

End of Season Analysis/Opinions

38 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If DeBord is such a great offensive coordinator why did he show zero creativity and zero risk taking this season? Why did he keep the playbook closed 95% of the time when we had success the few times that he did open it up? Why did he run qb draws with our slow as molasses quarterback? Why did he have players run 5 yard routes on 3rd and 8 plays?

The last question first :  If you think those were the primary routes, you're wrong.   There are always check down routes; and many following blocking responsibility.  Those are rarely stick routes.  Designed for YAC.   Primary routes are generally stick routes or beyond.  Some may have been secondary routes'; but seriously...you think an experienced coach teaches primary routes to stay short of the sticks?  Come on....you know better than that.

Our inability to win one on one matchups was FAR more a problem than play calling; and that's neither on DeBord nor Allen.  Moving forward, it is.  

What risks would you have liked to have seen?  We had a bad line, poor QB play, only one true experienced skill player (Cobbs); and we were generally slow.

You don't think Allen - a defensive guy - had some say in the matter?  You don't think he mandated the offense generally take care of the ball; manage the games; and let his defense be the catalyst?  If you watched this season and disagree with that, I'm not sure what you were watching.  You may be used to opening things up; but there's a new sheriff in town, and he's a defensive guy.  If you want to place blame...place it with Allen.  Not DeBord.

Open it up....how?  You were in the Ramsey camp all year; and you watched him struggle to throw the ball downfield.  Right?  Lagow was asked to make back shoulder throw after back shoulder throw; and you may have noticed our receivers' inability to create separation....save Philyor once in a while.  

As far as the QB draws, I have no idea whether those were called plays or audibles; and neither do you.  I know at least one was a broken play.   

I think you're awfully quick to judge a guy without taking account all (or even most) of the facts.  Frustration can warp that.  I get it.  But seriously....what risks and opening up would you have liked to have seen from this group of players?  Please be specific and explain why they would have worked.   I'm curious to know what you would have done differently if you were in the chair.

4 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Dobbs was a great college QB so whether he is a hall of famer or not isn't a measure of his success or talent in college so I don't get that arguement. I can only go by what I saw this year and it was far and away unimpressive. I get the line wasn't as good as years past. Years past it was actually really really good. This year it slipped but it wasn't anywhere near awful and neither was the QB play. To me, you seem to make this the lame excuse for Debord and why the playcalling was the way it was. That can only go so far. There are plenty of times the playcalling lacked any sort of creativity and was overly predictable. At times, it was ultra conservative and it cost the team big time. He needs to really really improve because he is never going to have the talent he had at Tennessee. 

Tevin Coleman and Josh Howard are both as good as Kamara is.  He can have that at Indiana.  He certainly didn't have that kind of talent THIS season; and again, as I said above, he had a bad line, poor QB play, inexperienced skill players; and not a ton of speed.  Not much Bill Belichick can do with that.

13 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

Didn't know where to put this but it looks like Tyler Natee has decided to transfer.

Not entirely surprised by this seeing as he wasn't getting much playing time and considering there are probably players coming in at his position who would see playing time over him. 

On 11/30/2017 at 1:33 PM, OliviaPope40 said:

I don't believe he did because they never mentioned him. 

Just looked on IUHoosiers.com and it doesn't show that Natee had a single carry this year.  Maybe he wasn't showing up in practices therefore saw no game time.  Moot point regardless apparently. 

Just looked on IUHoosiers.com and it doesn't show that Natee had a single carry this year.  Maybe he wasn't showing up in practices therefore saw no game time.  Moot point regardless apparently. 

I’m pretty sure he was Scout player of the week a few times. Really odd. The way he announced it by his caption on twitter being “Life goes on” and not thanking the coaches in his message makes me think he has some sour thoughts about the new coaching staff.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Who? This isn't a name I recognize...maybe why he's transferring?

Sorry just saw this! Dang auto correct. Phil Benker. Second year wideout who never played a down. As far as Natee goes, he was a Kevin Wilson scholarship. I still remember his story about going to Texas and asking coaches who the best player is etc and how he was the head coach and would decide who does and doesn’t get a scholly. Just not sure the new staff saw the same things wilson did. Kids come to schools for the coaching staffs usually so you can always expect attrition. Still disappointing! Mack is the one that makes me most sad lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree that I am not overly worried about our defense, but we have lost a lot of talent on that side of the ball so a slight step back wouldn't be surprising. Lets just hope it's a small step. Offense.. if our line improves, stays healthy.. and yes improves than the other aspects of our offense will improve. Yes, it may allow us to be more creative which is also necessary.  I agree next year is pivotal for us. Getting back to a Bowl will make a big difference in getting another good recruiting class, and having two strong classes in a row will do wonders for our program.

I'll add, I thought the Michigan game was a huge missed opportunity. Maryland was a dagger as sloppy special teams killed us (A blocked punt returned for a TD {7 PTS}, a missed point after attempt {1 pt}, a kick-off returned deep into IU territory - good D but still a field goal {3pts}. We only lost that game by 3 points... that still makes me ill.