Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Some computer(shopping) help would be appreciated

Hey guys/gals the wife and I are thinking we need to have another computer.  Hers is getting old and might go kaput at any instance.  Plus I would like one that can do some basic video editing(nothing to fancy),

The capture device I am trying to use has requirements of 2.0 GHZ Duo Core and 4 gigs of ram. 

I am leaning towards a desktop, I think my wife would prefer a laptop.  Any suggestions guys/gals?

What is your budget? Video editing it's heavily affected by processor power, so put your graphics card budget into a better CPU. If Minimum requirements are a core 2 duo, then keep in mind anything better will help performance. Also, a SSD (solid state drive) over an HDD is the single biggest upgrade to performance you can make. SSD are so much faster than old mechanical drives, I was blown away when I put one in my PC for the first time.

I have built my own computers for years. My first one was nicknamed "Big Red" because it was in a red case and I was in my 2nd year at IU!

Incorporate the cost of software into whatever you're looking at.  

I used PCs for 15 years and got pretty used to replacing them every couple years.  My last PC was a Lenovo Thinkpad that was supposed to be the best, long lasting, etc.  It died in a couple years.  In 2013 I purchased 3 new Macs (MacBook Pro, Air, and the 21" Desktop) to run my office with.  They're all running like new over 4 years later.  I've never experienced this kind of reliability, and I've become a believer in Apple computers.  I'm no fan boy, by the way.  Mostly just want to buy reliable stuff.  If you buy a Mac, it will come with a ton of software loaded on, including video editing stuff that is very, very good.  

I don't know your price point, but might suggest the Mac Mini if you're looking to keep cost down.  Starts at $499, without keyboard, mouse, monitor.  

Bizzle is right.

If video editing is an intent then you'll want a good graphics card and processor.  I would also recommend an SSD over HDD, not just due to performance but an SSD has no moving parts inside so it's more durable than the traditional HDD.  I'd also recommend to make sure whatever you get has a 64 bit operating system.

Laptops can be nice but sometimes they have to make sacrifices to get the machine portable, keep that in mind.  My work laptop has an 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB RAM.

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I am talking really light video editing. Most videos of my daughter and maybe some video game stuff for a friends YouTube channel. Not concerned with how long it takes per se 

Planning on just using free editing software btw

For really light editing I wouldn't go overboard with specs in regards to processor/RAM, but I would want to exceed the minimum requirements.

I checked the link you posted, if it was me I would go new as opposed to refurb if it fit in my budget.

Possibly look at something with an i3 processor, or an i5 if it fits in your budget.  Both are dual core and both are upgrades over a Core 2 Duo; Core 2 Duo was a very popular processor but there are better processors out now even without going overboard.

It really does depend on your budget.