Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU versus Duke Pre-game Thread

33 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Okay...so here's the problem with us having any chance at all against Duke:

Duke is stacked!

1. They have two of the likely top five picks in the next draft; in fact, they have FIVE likely NBA early picks in their rotation.
  2. On the other hand, we have a under talented team, with a couple of reasonably well-ranked players. Our leaders are a physically strong but not that quick guard and a over-achieving senior forward who hasn't been on the floor all that much. Yes, we've got some size and strength, but it's largely young and raw, and hasn't had as much floor time as we'd like.
  3. Even our head coach is new to the program, and is going against the venerable Coach K.

How the heck can we possibly compete with this #1 ranked team?!?

Oh...and by the way, if you're trying to identify who the people I've cited in the paragraph above are, the answers are:

1. Jay Williams and Mike Dunleavy. Also Carlos Boozer, Chris Duhon and Dahntay Jones.
  2. Tom Coverdale, Jared Odle, Jeff Newton.
  3. Mike Davis.

"Duke is just a name on a jersey. They're not the Lakers. Shaq and Kobe Bryant are not going to walk out of the dressing room in Lexington. We've got fight, man. We're not like the teams they beat by 40 who lay down and die. We're not punks. Nobody's punking us. Yeah, they got more NBA lottery picks, but it's Duke, man. It's just a name. I only fear one person and that's God. And the only human person I fear is my mother."

A.J Freakin' Moye, 2002

Love the optimism but that game in 2002 was basically a once in a lifetime type of win, to come back like that and beat THAT team... Completely insane.

Flash forward 15 years. This Duke team is loaded with freshmen who can play (when Grayson Allen fouled out against Texas with a few minutes to play, Duke played the rest of the way with 5 freshmen) as well as a crafty senior in Grayson Allen, who can shoot 8-10 from three one game, and 1-10 the next. Just have to hope IU gets him on an off night.

If you dodge that bullet, then you've got to account for Bagley, who is probably the closest thing to unguardable as there is. A poor man's Kevin Durant. Only not that much poorer... Juwan Morgan will probably draw the unfortunate duty of keeping up with him on Wednesday, and he will more than have his hands full.

Stop those two guys, and Indiana has a chance. I like that Indiana has Seniors at both guard positions to battle with some relative inexperience when Trent and Duval are on the floor. Would be nice to see Davis draw some fouls on Carter and Bagley rather than commit the fouls. IU really needs him on the floor in this one.

I'm predicting a 12-15 point Duke win but if things really go well for the Hoosiers (high shooting %'s/low foul %'s and minimal turnovers), they have a very outside chance of winning.

I don't think CAM is the type of coach to circle games on the calendar.... but I have a feeling he's been thinking about this all year. This is a chance for him, and the student section at AH, to make their first statement of the Archie Era. I expect us to play a reeeeeal close game. Hopefully we have some of the AH magic working for us!

For me it is all about who shows up ready to play no matter whether you are home or away or on a neutral court because honestly where the is played does not matter. 

Edited by OliviaPope40

For me it is all about who shows up ready to play no matter whether you are home or away or on a neutral court because honestly where the is played does not matter. 

Could not disagree more.
If Duke’s freshmen aren’t “ready to play,” it will largely influenced by where the game is being played.
In fact, it will be because Assembly Hall is making their little blue freshmen tallywackers pucker.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep has ZERO chance at Duke and probably at a neutral site but the magic of Assembly Hall gives them a chance. My guys won’t play in another environment like this all year. It’s going to be a great test and going to be a lot of fun. I don’t think IU is going to back down and I don’t know how they could with a coach like Arch. IU has grown up a little bit since the ISU game. I wish more people on here were more enthusiastic about this game because I can’t wait.

Yeah, easy to be enthusiastic when you root for the #1 team in the country that drew a relatively easy ACC/B1G road test.

Most of us IU fans are just hoping we don't get embarrassed by the highest paid group of NIKE Elites in the land.

I don't mean this against you, just my feelings towards this game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, easy to be enthusiastic when you root for the #1 team in the country that drew a relatively easy ACC/B1G road test.

Most of us IU fans are just hoping we don't get embarrassed by the highest paid group of NIKE Elites in the land.

I don't mean this against you, just my feelings towards this game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

This I agree with.

I don't think CAM is the type of coach to circle games on the calendar.... but I have a feeling he's been thinking about this all year. This is a chance for him, and the student section at AH, to make their first statement of the Archie Era. I expect us to play a reeeeeal close game. Hopefully we have some of the AH magic working for us!

I totally agree with this post. CTC definitely was the kind of coach to circle games and get his team to play inspired ball when overmatched. CAM seems to have a hold on the fact that this is IU and you shouldn’t be overmatched. Although they are overmatched, I still expect us to play very well.