Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU versus Duke Pre-game Thread

So let’s get some discussion going on the game...
for those who have seen Duke play, how do we match-up?

They are far and away the best team in the nation. There isn’t one spot we match up well with them. We have to hope they are wore out from their tournament and travels, as well as our best game of the year. The crowd needs to be lively as ever. If Duke has a semi normal game they win by 15+ no matter what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I predict that Davis will be next to useless and Bagley has like 28+ points and 16 rebounds. I think we can contain their guard play decently but Bagley is probably the best player in the country. 

I don’t see any way we don’t put Juwan on him. Cause Davis would have 3 fouls in the first 5 minutes. I just see no way we match their size. Horrible matchup in every area.

24 minutes ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

Duke starts 2 freshmen guards, their PG, Duval, isn't a threat from 3 but can really attack the rim and pass. Expect him to really get after our sloppy ball handling guards and force some turnovers. 

Gary Trent is a better jumpshooter than Duval and is big at 6'6, but he hasn't been efficient so far. Very strong rebounder for a guard.

Grayson Allen is an elite 3 point shooter, whoever is guarding him (probably ROJO) is going to be busy chasing him around the 3 point line.

Wendell Carter is a 6'10 250 lb Center who averages almost 10 boards and 3 blocks a game and can stretch the floor a bit.

Marvin Bagley is a 6'11 freak athlete who can kill you from anywhere on the floor. Top 3 draft pick. IMO the best player in the country. 

Our best hope is that their young guys get rattled because they're better at every position. 

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I don’t see any way we don’t put Juwan on him. Cause Davis would have 3 fouls in the first 5 minutes. I just see no way we match their size. Horrible matchup in every area.

Davis will probably be on Carter but he'll still struggle with him too. Davis is just sooooo slow. 

For us to have any chance Davis must stay out of foul trouble. Josh and Rob need to continue to play better. I was encouraged by the last game. AH must be raucous! Duke is loaded but as mentioned earlier that travel schedule is brutal. I’m not saying a W is impossible but it’s a very tall task. I expect us to compete and play hard. 

Carter scares me more than Bagley honestly. Don’t get me wrong, Bagley is the better of the two but he is not a dominant physical force. I think we have a better matchup against him than Carter. Carter is a straight up man and if Deron can’t stay out of foul trouble we will be in trouble. They aren’t invincible but it feels like they are close. Freddie, Deron, Justin, and Juwan all have to show up and have good games for us to have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They are far and away the best team in the nation. There isn’t one spot we match up well with them. We have to hope they are wore out from their tournament and travels, as well as our best game of the year. The crowd needs to be lively as ever. If Duke has a semi normal game they win by 15+ no matter what we do.

I think there is no question they are the most talented team in the nation. However it’s early in the season and in November there are several teams that I would put on their level as of right now. They have stretches where defensively they look really bad. Texas had them on the ropes and if Texas could of hit some layups or tell Bamba to play down low with a comfortable lead instead of jacking 3’s they would of had a better chance of winning that game. This duke team will be scary good when they figure out the defensive side or K accepts they are a better zone team then man. By February in my opinion they are going to be hard to beat. I would of loved to see them matched up with Minny early that would of been a heck of a game

Whoever put this game together and thought it was a good idea needs serious psychological help. Three years from now? Maybe. We are just not ready for this type of game and, in my opinion, nothing good is likely to come from it. We are only beginning to define roles and gain some confidence in how Coach Miller wants to play. To me, this matchup is all risk with very little chance for reward. If the unlikely happens, I'll happily return and admit that I am clueless.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

Whoever put this game together and thought it was a good idea needs serious psychological help. Three years from now? Maybe. We are just not ready for this type of game and, in my opinion, nothing good is likely to come from it. We are only beginning to define roles and gain some confidence in how Coach Miller wants to play. To me, this matchup is all risk with very little chance for reward. If the unlikely happens, I'll happily return and admit that I am clueless.

You do realize this is part of the Big 10/ACC challenge.... 

I think there is no question they are the most talented team in the nation. However it’s early in the season and in November there are several teams that I would put on their level as of right now. They have stretches where defensively they look really bad. Texas had them on the ropes and if Texas could of hit some layups or tell Bamba to play down low with a comfortable lead instead of jacking 3’s they would of had a better chance of winning that game. This duke team will be scary good when they figure out the defensive side or K accepts they are a better zone team then man. By February in my opinion they are going to be hard to beat. I would of loved to see them matched up with Minny early that would of been a heck of a game

I would be surprised if we see a man defense. If we had more size I would say their zone could be broken in November. Even with our crowd and their travels, I don’t see any way we come close. Allen will probably man the point for stretches because of our crowd and his experience. They can beat us inside and out. Do we let them shoot or pack it in on Bagley? I would make someone other than Bagley beat us. But we may not have a choice. I don’t envy Archie on this one.

12 hours ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

They're super talented obviously. Bagley is a big man who can drive like a guard. I imagine they will play quite a bit of zone which isn't a bad thing anymore. Gotta control Allen from 3 and steer clear of his trips. Not too informed on how Duke'  bench is, but I imagine it's solid. We need to.be physical and rebound. 

2 hours ago, muckraker said:

You do realize this is part of the Big 10/ACC challenge.... 

I get that, but I thought some effort was made to match teams based on how they were projected to finish in their league. We have been almost universally picked in the bottom third of our conference and Duke has been picked at the top of theirs. We have some name recognition and that's about it as far as this game this year is concerned. I can think up all kinds of scenarios where we get the upset as a Hoosiers fan, but if I'm being realistic and objective it doesn't look encouraging.

I get that, but I thought some effort was made to match teams based on how they were projected to finish in their league. We have been almost universally picked in the bottom third of our conference and Duke has been picked at the top of theirs. We have some name recognition and that's about it as far as this game this year is concerned. I can think up all kinds of scenarios where we get the upset as a Hoosiers fan, but if I'm being realistic and objective it doesn't look encouraging.

Was this game scheduled before or after Bryant and JBJ and OG declared? I can’t remember but could have been a factor of what could have been if all returned.

48 minutes ago, BlueDevil2aHoosier said:

Was this game scheduled before or after Bryant and JBJ and OG declared? I can’t remember but could have been a factor of what could have been if all returned.

Matchups were announced June 8th, NBA draft withdrawal deadline was June 12th.

OG declared April 12th, TB *April 29th, JBJ *May 8th *to remain in draft, i.e. hired agent

ESPN needs their ACC boys on top and their ratings. 

Matchups were announced June 8th, NBA draft withdrawal deadline was June 12th.

OG declared April 12th, TB *April 29th, JBJ *May 8th *to remain in draft, i.e. hired agent

ESPN needs their ACC boys on top and their ratings. 

Realistically though who are you going to schedule against them? They were already booked with MSU... Purdue? I’m just asking I thought it was kind of a head scratcher too.

Edit: I went to the Duke at Purdue game in like 08 and it was a joke. Duke is on the rotation for 1 or 2 road games in a row and I see it as a respect thing to send them to Assembly Hall.