Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Gray area recruiting

Thought it might be easier to have a thread for those wishing to discuss pay for play/turning a blind eye/end justifies the means recruiting, instead of mixing it in with a recruit's thread. Keep recruiting above board or play the game as others do? Have at it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Give me what the Duke's, UK's, UNC's, etc. of the college basketball world are doing. I want to be an elite program and it seems like that's what you gotta do to get to that level. 
Not sure what duke is going but it gets top ten players every year and they are always eligible to play no matter what. I'm assuming lots of under the table deals..

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I am thoroughly in favor of continuing to keep recruiting above board.  I want nothing to do with anything shady or of questionable morality.  IU has always been known as a clean (I know everyone has a few violations, but not blatant cheating) school, and I'd much prefer to keep it that way.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Are there any programs that are consistently elite without playing in the gray area?

I don't know and, truthfully, don't care.  If my daughter was at a party and all the cool kids were shooting heroin, I wouldn't justify her doing it because all the elite kids were.  

1 minute ago, mamasa said:

I don't know and, truthfully, don't care.  If my daughter was at a party and all the cool kids were shooting heroin, I wouldn't justify her doing it because all the elite kids were.  

If you're happy with IU being the honorable and moral loser then that's fine, but some of us want to win big, and we see other programs winning big while cheating like crazy. There is very little risk, and a whole lot to gain. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If you're happy with IU being the honorable and moral loser then that's fine, but some of us want to win big, and we see other programs winning big while cheating like crazy. There is very little risk, and a whole lot to gain. 

Would you cheat to get your degree?  Would you cheat on your spouse?  Same principle.

So then you’re ok with being Kentucky and cheering for Calipari. Scamming college entrance exams, improper benefits, on and on and on. Congrats, you won a game other than the one you’re supposed to be playing.

Except iu is not untouchable to the ncaa as Kentucky, UNC, duke, Kansas are. They all know they can cheat and nothing will happen. Iu would get nailed if caught. That's why vandy is playing with fire by going into the gutter.

Just now, mamasa said:

Would you cheat to get your degree?  Would you cheat on your spouse?  Same principle.

No it's not. I'm not personally connected to IU basketball. I'm just a fan. Watching IU basketball is a hobby, what they do doesn't affect my day to day life. Watching us lose with "class and integrity" doesn't do anything for me, it just gets me a hard time from my friends who root for other schools. 

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

If they are getting multiple top ten guys each year then no way.

Disagree here, Duke is a fantastic school with a great coach and great reputation.  Just because a school is getting great results doesn't make them dirty.  I'm not saying one way or the other, because I'm not in a position to know, but I don't jump to the cheating conclusion when schools have a better ranked recruiting class.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

No it's not. I'm not personally connected to IU basketball. I'm just a fan. Watching IU basketball is a hobby, what they do doesn't affect my day to day life. Watching us lose with "class and integrity" doesn't do anything for me, it just gets me a hard time from my friends who root for other schools. 

So you're willing to compromise other's integrity, and only some of yours.  You didn't answer my question though, if you would cheat personally.  

6 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

So then you’re ok with being Kentucky and cheering for Calipari. Scamming college entrance exams, improper benefits, on and on and on. Congrats, you won a game other than the one you’re supposed to be playing.

And Kentucky has been to 6 elite eights and 4 final fours in the past 8 seasons. Their program is seen as the elite of the elite. There are worse things as a fan to deal with. 

Disagree here, Duke is a fantastic school with a great coach and great reputation.  Just because a school is getting great results doesn't make them dirty.  I'm not saying one way or the other, because I'm not in a position to know, but I don't jump to the cheating conclusion when schools have a better ranked recruiting class.
Duke has 11 5 star players in the last three years. All of whom could of gone else where and gotten paid. No way duke is totally clean.

2 minutes ago, mamasa said:

So you're willing to compromise other's integrity, and only some of yours.  You didn't answer my question though, if you would cheat personally.  

I have nothing to do with it. IU wouldn't be compromising the players' integrity. If they didn't come here they would go to another team willing to play the game. That's on the recruits. Do you think UK fans are sad about watching their team go deep in the tournament year in and year out? 

And Kentucky has been to 6 elite eights and 4 final fours in the past 8 seasons. Their program is seen as the elite of the elite. There are worse things as a fan to deal with. 
People in kentucky dont have any ethics though. They have a win by any means necessary attitude.