Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Str8Hoosiers

Game Thread: Arkansas State, Wednesday 7pm BTN

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Common refrain from Archie and camp. "Dog"

Indiana's Juwan Morgan scores career-high 28 points, gets praised for getting "dog points." Dog points? Here's the story: bit.ly/2A4nj3e #iubb

The thought I had to spend 2 days explaining this term this summer. Smh. Anyway, really glad Arch and I are on the same page here.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Wayne - your link took me to a premium website but later, I found this at:  http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/11/22/mens-basketball-morgans-career-night-leads-hoosiers-past-arkansas-state.aspx

Or, as teammate DeRon Davis puts it, you get "dog points."

"It's his work ethic. He's always pushing us in practice, our defensive drills, our rebounding drills. We have to have eyes on Juwan. He's a real simple player. He just does the dog points. He's a big help to our team."

What are "dog points?"

"It's everything we need as a team," Davis said. "Rebounds. Loose balls. Fifty-50 balls.

"If I tip a ball out, Juwan will get it. If there's a loose ball, Juwan is getting it. Those are the dog points I'm talking about."

Morgan is fine with the "dog" label.

"I've always taken pride in it. I knew when I got here, I wasn't going to be the man with Yogi and Troy, then James, Rob, OG and Thomas. I knew I was going to be in the background. If I can get us extra possessions, and everybody else shines, I'm fine with that."

His athleticism is incredible. His rebounding lastnight was huge for us and some good defense also at times. His actual ball skills as far as shooting and catching as you pointed out are maddening lol. I am at the point where if it isn't a put back dunk he should refrain from shooting and just look to reset the offense. Still hoping he can become comfortable with some basic ball skills and he could be pretty effective for our team moving forward

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Completely agree. I should have went deeper and said I don’t want him posting on the block as nothing good comes from that. I like his 10 foot baseline shot. He shouldn’t be a stationary player. Good things happen when he is moving. Oversimplified but dude just isn’t a back to the basket sit on the block player. Other than that I love the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Only 8 turnovers, not relying on 3 pointers, and winning with a comfortable margin is refreshingly new.  I don't care that it was against Arkansas State or not - for the past many years we did not do these things against good and bad teams alike.

I feel we're still in the early learning stages (especially with playing 3 freshmen) with only a modest amount of talent on the roster, so it's not like we're close to contending for anything, but it's hard not to feel very optimistic about the future.

I need to read through this thread to see how we did, I watched the game, but it was at the bar so you know how that goes.. haha

From what I saw, looks like we got challenged with that zone early in the game. One thing that stood out to me was in the second half I believe the boys scored on a fast break with NOTHING but BOUNCE passes. I about cried, I never saw bounce passes in the Crean area. It was beautiful. I might try to find that highlight and watch it again.

6 hours ago, A.j. Nigh said:

My biggest take away, guards contributed to only 3 of the 8 turnovers.....Davis had 2, Freddie 3.    Huge improvement!  There were a couple bad shots by guards though....cough cough Devonte and Curtis.

Of those 3 guard turnovers, Devonte had 2 on back to back possessions. Very solid night taking care of the ball from our guards.