Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zinman

Rising from the Ashes by Terry Hutchens

I hope I'm not spoiling this in any way for anyone, I just wanted to tell everyone what I thought of this book. I'd also like to know what everyone else thought after reading it, and if anyone is interested in reading it now.

I just finished reading "Rising from the Ashes: The Return of Indiana University Basketball" by Terry Hutchens. I graduated from IU in 09, and we all know it was rough being an IUBB fan around that time. In a nut shell, the book is about the coaching changes in the 2000s, the Sampson sanctions, tough times with Crean, the Wat Shot, and return to stardom. I enjoyed the book and got through it quickly because I found it very interesting and informational (especially with the details about the sanctions because I swear I didn't understand what was going on back then).

My only criticism is that there were a lot of newspaper articles leading to a lot of repetition, i.e. there are numerous breakdowns about important games, and then an article that follows each game telling me the same thing I just read.

I know last year was our best in a decade, but think it would have been great if Terry could have waited to write this book after the next couple seasons, just so we could see the development of the team we have now and the expectations everyone has of them.

Let me know what you thought about it.

Haven't read the book quite yet.  Bought it for my father for Christmas though.  I have heard the book has too many articles, and if you subscribe to the star its Deja Vu.  I'll have to wait to opine completely until I read it!

Don't Put Me in Coach is a really interesting book. Nice inside look of a Big University basketball program.  I agree that Hutchens may have been premature with the release of this book, but then again if we win it all,

He can just write a new one that people will buy.

Read the first four chapters today. There were a lot of articles about the IU/UK game but I was fine with that. What I really liked was in chapter 3, when asking former players/even managers what that game means to them.

I don't know about you guys, but I wanna skip chapters 4-7, the "Decline of IU Basketball." Not a story I like reliving but I am sticking with it. Had bad as a choice as it seemed at the time, the Mike Davis years were great compared to what was to come.

A good book about IU basketball is Tales From the Indiana Hoosier Locker Room, it's about the RMK days.  Only a BUCK for your Kindle/Kindle app on any tablet or smartphone. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

BtownBanners Edit:  Shamelss self plug:  Link to Buy - (We are an Affiliate with Amazon, would help fund the site)