Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Game Discussion: Indiana - 68 vs Seton Hall - 84

So refreshing to have a coach with that mindset. I’m sure he’s frustrated so far with the lack of effort, but it’s to be expected in a way I suppose, just because of what most of the players are used to being coached by Crean. Crean recruited and coached “we need to outscore our opponent to win”, while Archie is “we need to prevent our opponent from scoring as much as we do.” Crean’s philosophy backfired big time if the team wasn’t hitting shots. When I saw that screenshot of the bench after the Howard game of most of the players having dejected faces, I was hoping it meant they were thinking they can and should do better if they want a chance to compete this year, rather than thinking “screw this, I don’t want to have to play this way.” I definitely liked the way Durham and Smith played, and am on board with them getting more minutes. Fortunately for them, Crean’s opposite way of coaching compared to Archie’s was never instilled into their heads, so obviously they don’t really have any old habits they need to break. 

After getting over my gloomy outlook the past few days, I’m excited for tonight. I don’t expect to win, but I do expect to see our guys come out and show some fire. If we do that, I’ll be satisfied with what happens.

Other things I’m looking for:

-Improved FT shooting. Let’s see if we can get to 70% tonight.

-Feeding Davis down low. Hopefully if we go to him early and often we can put Delgado on the bench for stretches.

-Better communication on D. This is essential if we want to be in the game at all. 

-More consistent play from our seniors. Many don’t want to hear it but we go as our seniors go. If they can’t get up for this game or show any fight, it’s going to be a long and painful.

Go Hoosiers!

Davis vs. Delgado will be fun. Archie vs. the world will be fun. Al will continue to be fun. The final score may not be fun, but I just want improvement and to enjoy watching these guys battle.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Like others are saying, at this point it's less about the scoreboard and more about the mentality. I want to see this entire team COMPETE. I don't think the team has earned the right to take it "one game at a time."

This team needs to take it one possession at a time. They need to compete every second their on the court (and bench).

Teams who win road games against top 25ish teams usually bring their own energy, swagger, or whatever you want to call it. This team hasn't done that at home against lesser competition.

A few things I'll be watching for..

Offense:
- fast start, we've been sluggish out of the gates. That buried us against ISU and Howard had the lead halfway through the first half.

- entry passes, we need crisp passes to the post to take advantage of positioning and getting buckets around the rim

- transition points, we have to get some run outs. This team can score in the half court but we need some easy ones to stay in this game.

- limit turnovers

Defense:
- transition defense, we can't give up easy buckets from bad turnovers and poor shot selection

- foul trouble, we're short on serviceable bodies. We can't have Freddie playing 20+ minutes at the 5

- close out and contest jumpers. Through 2 games we've given up easy looks but also teams have hit a ridiculous % with hands in their face. If we plan to keep it close we can't allow that against SHU

Go Hoosiers! Fight your @$$ off. If you COMPETE every possession you can walk away, win or lose, with your head held high.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners