Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Game Discussion: Indiana - 68 vs Seton Hall - 84

Just now, Str8Hoosiers said:

Everybody is all over ROJO & Newkirk... and I don't disagree, but what is up with Morgan?

To me he is the most disappointing of all, I had high expectations for him, loved him in prior seasons... this year he can't catch a  pass, all he wants to do is shoot 3s (which he sucks at), can't hit free throws.... The good thing is that I assume his are the minutes Hartman will eat into once healthy....

Is he trying to do too much? Is it mental? Is it injuries? Buy in?

Not seeing much from him defensively either? I thought he was maybe our "dawg" but doesn't seem like it through 3 games.

He had some nice moves to and around the bucket (mostly in the second half I think) but he did look lost out there a lot. Justin Smith is looking like the better player THIS YEAR which is not a good sign.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

That looks about right. If they don't start playing better in a game or two I would probably start playing walk-on guys instead. I mean they can't really do any worse.

I think Coach Miller is doing everything he can to give them a chance to get with the program, but eventually his patience will wear out. For this team to do anything (conference, NCAA, NIT) our upperclassmen have to lead way. If it becomes obvious that this is a lost year, I think the emphasis will shift to the young guys.

9 minutes ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

A lot of us were discussing the possibility of Morgan and Davis going pro this year, I think we don’t have to talk about that anymore

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah that's not happening. 

Am I the only person that still has confidence in Rojo? Yeah he's struggling but I believe he will come out of it. Will he be a star/go get ya' one guy? I doubt it because that's never been his game. It's quite possible that everyone is expecting something out of him that he isn't and never was capable of delivering. And I'm not seeing the "don't give a crap" mentality that everyone else is I guess. I just think he's having a hard time adjusting just like everyone else. Maybe I'm crazy I don't know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, rcsalway29 said:

Am I the only person that still has confidence in Rojo? Yeah he's struggling but I believe he will come out of it. Will he be a star/go get ya' one guy? I doubt it because that's never been his game. It's quite possible that everyone is expecting something out of him that he isn't and never was capable of delivering. And I'm not seeing the "don't give a crap" mentality that everyone else is I guess. I just think he's having a hard time adjusting just like everyone else. Maybe I'm crazy I don't know.

Archie is till giving him a ton of minutes.

To me? That means that Archie feels that out of RoJo, Josh, and CuJo, Archie feels that Robert has the best mindset and potential to be a positive looking forward this season. 

17 minutes ago, rcsalway29 said:

To me, this isn't about being a go-to player. He hasn't even really been put in that role. His poor play goes back to last year, it's really been a full season almost of poor play, at some point you are who you are. It's multiple bonehead turnovers a game, missing wide open shots and poor defense. He seems to have 2-4 or so turnovers a game where you just completely scratch your head. He either throws a horrific pass, literally just loses control of his dribble with no defense even around him, or appears to almost forget he's playing basketball. 

It's pretty shocking at times to tell the truth. 

15 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I could see Durham being a go to guy later in the season. Call me crazy. He hit a few layups last night that nobody else on the team could. The other part of that is he has the ability to get fouled at a higher rate than other players.

he's damn near ambidextrous in the paint. And he's probably the best FT shooter on the team. 

55 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Archie is till giving him a ton of minutes.

To me? That means that Archie feels that out of RoJo, Josh, and CuJo, Archie feels that Robert has the best mindset and potential to be a positive looking forward this season. 

RoJo is putting in effort on both ends of the floor, his shooting is just heinous right now. He's made a few mistakes that are probably attributable to some frustration, but I expect him to even out over the season.

Honestly, think about how mentally drained the kid probably is from his time under Crean. He's had to deal with multiple years of wondering if the coach he committed to is leaving, then that coach being fired, then all of his class transferring or leaving early, and now learning a completely new system as a senior.

Archie still seems to believe in him, and I think his patience will pay off. 

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

RoJo is putting in effort on both ends of the floor, his shooting is just heinous right now. He's made a few mistakes that are probably attributable to some frustration, but I expect him to even out over the season.

Honestly, think about how mentally drained the kid probably is from his time under Crean. He's had to deal with multiple years of wondering if the coach he committed to is leaving, then that coach being fired, then all of his class transferring or leaving early, and now learning a completely new system as a senior.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. Obviously, CAM sees something in him or is trying very hard to allow him to get his confidence back. In the mean time though, he is absolutely killing us with his haphazard play. It's not just a couple mistakes. He isn't the only one, but he was right there with them. Still making the same mistakes he made as a freshman.

The fact that our young guys are buying in is what makes me confident that Archie is the right guy. They haven't been ruined by Crean yet, and it shows that it's not a problem with Archie as a coach. He gets guys to buy in, just not the ones who spent several years under Crean. Once he gets more and more of his guys here we should be just fine. 

Weak struggling team last season last half of the season remove our 4 best players and people are shocked we stink? Everyone picked us to lose in prediction thread yet are mad we lost on the road to a experienced team. I am going to look at the positive that we started to play hard and move on this will be a process but i am going to be supportive and patient. This is not archie fault so we should quit pretending he walked into a great team and turned them into turds. Give us a chance people progress was made that is all we can ask imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Alot of people including myself thought we'd win 20 games and possibly make the ncaa. We still have 4 seniors and a junior who will play alot. Ots not like we have no experience. I guess the magazine predictions of 11th place might be right after all.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The fact that our young guys are buying in is what makes me confident that Archie is the right guy. They haven't been ruined by Crean yet, and it shows that it's not a problem with Archie as a coach. He gets guys to buy in, just not the ones who spent several years under Crean. Once he gets more and more of his guys here we should be just fine. 

The real challenge for a coach in this situation is if the losses pile, not allowing the upperclassmen to create a toxic environment for the young guys. There will naturally be chatter from seniors, etc. about how things compare to the old coach, etc. 

3 hours ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

A lot of us were discussing the possibility of Morgan and Davis going pro this year, I think we don’t have to talk about that anymore

I don’t know how anyone thought that in the first place

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I thought last night was the first time this season he has put in effort IMO. His turnovers have been just terrible so far this season. I have been really disappointed in his & Newkirk leadership. Newkirk -21 & Johnson -19 last night when they were on the floor. 

I thought last night was the first time this season he has put in effort IMO. His turnovers have been just terrible so far this season. I have been really disappointed in his & Newkirk leadership. Newkirk -21 & Johnson -19 last night when they were on the floor. 

We cant win big games without rob or newkirk playing decent at the very least. I think archie is giving them chances because he knows this. I just wish i could figure out how a shooter like rojo turns into this. Its your senior year guys quit playing like your jv high school getting your first varsity minutes please and thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Cultural change takes time.  All basketball players are not cut from the same cloth, and a coaching change usually comes with growing pains.  One problem we have here at Indiana is the one we saw in 2000 came with improvement; not because of the coach, but because of the leadership of the team that was left behind.  We all saw what happened when that leadership left the building.   We were spoiled thinking an experienced team can make a seamless transition.

It will happen.  Patience is not a strong suit of mine.  But....