Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Game Discussion: Indiana - 68 vs Seton Hall - 84

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Also remember that we were an NIT team last season, lost our best 3 players, and have no impact recruits.  

Yep, we were an NIT team with 3 players who have signed NBA contracts. Much like Creans overall history at IU, that team certainly underachieved. 

This team under Crean would’ve been a dumpster fire. They’re turnover prone to begin with, can’t shoot, defense is a work in progress, and doesn’t have a take-over/playmaker.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Absolutely, that's not what I'm trying to argue against at all.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

I feel you're going to extremes here. I'm not talking about Final Four results, I'm just not looking to get blown out on our own home court by ISU.

I was just responding to the post.

You said an elite coach can win big with another coaches recruits. Final Four is winning big. I think that’s where the confusion comes from. 

4 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

People need to understand that we’re not competing for a national title until we’re recruiting like Duke, Kansas or Kentucky. Even recruiting as well as Michigan State will do it. Talent can get A LOT of wins by itself. Recruiting a bunch of 3 star diamonds in the rough isn’t going to get it done. That is why we’re in this situation now. Gotta win on the recruiting trail to win on the court. 

Big big big difference between recruiting LIKE any of the shady schools, and AS WELL AS Michigan State.  I want absolutely zero to do with sleazy dealings.  

Just watched the game on DVR. Could not be more disappointed with the play of Robert Johnson. Not saying he didn't have effort, but he was not playing smart. Saw him give up multiple three's leaving his man open by sagging off. Add in the turnovers and he earned some pine.

People need to understand that we’re not competing for a national title until we’re recruiting like Duke, Kansas or Kentucky. Even recruiting as well as Michigan State will do it. Talent can get A LOT of wins by itself. Recruiting a bunch of 3 star diamonds in the rough isn’t going to get it done. That is why we’re in this situation now. Gotta win on the recruiting trail to win on the court. 

I disagree with this. You don't have to recruit like those schools to win a natty. I believe only 2 championships have been won by freshmen led squads.

The key to CONSISTENTLY competing for the B1G and National Titles is getting top 100 talent that is willing to work and stay in school. Give me a top 50ish junior or senior over most OAD top 10 talents.

CAM went out and got this in his first class. He'll need to continue to develop Green, Davis, Durham, Smith, and Moore to compete in year 2. Add Romeo to the mix and we could have something next year. Phinisee, Anderson, Thompson, and Forrester can all be those upperclassmen that know the system and are the foundation for really good teams.

3 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

You call them sleazy but they’ve never been caught and charged with anything. Everyone else calls them winners. And everyone else is trying to do exactly what they are. 

Yeah, I'm the only one calling them sleazy.  If you're ok putting the morals and standards of IU (and yourself) aside, so be it.  I'll forgo a championship for a clean program any day.

You call them sleazy but they’ve never been caught and charged with anything. Everyone else calls them winners. And everyone else is trying to do exactly what they are. 

Look at all the shitbags KU has brought into their program. If IU brings those type of players onto the campus again I'll step back and check my fandom. puke players aren't cancers to society but they're getting paid. If you don't know that or want to acknowledge that that's on you. I wood be shocked if Duke wasn't paying players too. It's a shady business and when you're constantly getting the shadiest of the shady players, well...

5 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Yeah, I'm the only one calling them sleazy.  If you're ok putting the morals and standards of IU (and yourself) aside, so be it.  I'll forgo a championship for a clean program any day.

I'm sick and tired of being the honorable losers. Schools cheat like crazy and reap the rewards. The NCAA has shown that they won't do a thing about it. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm sick and tired of being the honorable losers. Schools cheat like crazy and reap the rewards. The NCAA has shown that they won't do a thing about it. 

Would you steal if you knew you wouldn't get caught?  Cheat on your significant other if you knew you wouldn't get caught?  Not me.  I don't have much, but morals are something I do have, and thankfully, so does IU.  Not going to derail any more, don't need to defend my standards.

I agree with others that have pointed out that we were a first round NIT loss team last year that lost our best players. Recruiting was really trending downward and this year under Crean would have been REALLY ugly with this roster and recruiting would have tanked further. We need to have realistic expectations. I don't like losing, but it looks to me like we've seen some progress over the first three games. Seton Hall is a better team and should have won this game. We need to continue to see improvement from game to game, and I think we will be more competitive as the season progresses. It's fun to win, but it's also fun to watch a team grow. Time will tell, but I think we'll get to see this team grow a lot over the course of the season...and sooner or later, that growth will translate into wins.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, mamasa said:

Would you steal if you knew you wouldn't get caught?  Cheat on your significant other if you knew you wouldn't get caught?  Not me.  I don't have much, but morals are something I do have, and thankfully, so does IU.  Not going to derail any more, don't need to defend my standards.

I don't think the other schools mind too much when they're going on their final four runs and hoisting their national championship banners, but to each his own I guess. 

We're playing 3 freshmen and averaging 16 TOs a game.  That's no worse than last year really.   There's reason to believe we can finally begin to improve in that area (eventually).

I haven't look at box score but how many of those TOs were from upperclassmen?

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

That's what I thought

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

I wouldn't play Johnson if he was the last guard on the team at this point. He doesn't even try and act like he wants to play defense and some of his turnovers are just pathetic.

Go look at all the talent from the last ten champions. Outside of UConn and Nova, the champs have been highly talented. 

Again, I'll disagree with your original statement. We CAN and, I believe will, compete for a national championship without recruiting like KU, puke, or dook. UNC won with a talented upperclassmen led team. Nova wasn't uber talented with one and done recruits. The year before Duke was with Okafor, Jones, and Winslow. Previous teams like the Louisville, Duke, and UNC teams weren't loaded with one and done talent.

Again, give me a team loaded with top 100ish upperclassmen with a staff that can scheme to take away what other teams are trying to do. That has proven to win more championships than the uber talented puke and Duke teams. It's been proven.