Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Expectations of the New Era

So I've been seeing a lot of people complaining about the rebuild that is currently taking place.  So it brought me to these 2 questions. 

1. What is your expectations of this Era of IU?
  2. What is your definition of rebuilding?  Or in other words, what would signal the end of the rebuild period to you?

We know with losing 3 top players from last year that we are going to be rebuilding and not competing realistically for B1G titles or NCAA Championships.  We knew this was going to be a down year even with Crean here.  So why is everyone surprised by what is happening?  Archie has had 2-3 weeks to implement his system and we know it takes longer than that to implement a system.  I think Crean would have lost that game Friday and possibly the one Sunday.   So with that said, I think we continue to get better and better as the year goes on, unlike with Crean.  I posted earlier that I have reduced my win total for the year down to 18 from 24 that I felt before watching them play.   I realized that maybe my expectations had been over stated.  However, I still feel this team even with the loss of players from last years team, will be at least as good as last years team, once Archie gets the team going. 

I say all this in an effort to answer my own question.  Question 1 is easy and hasn't changed from the Crean era.

1. My expectations are that we consistently go to the NCAA tournament.  Compete annually for the B1G Championship.  Compete for or be in the conversation for NCAA championships in the same light or frequency as Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, UCLA. Arizona, Virginia, UConn etc.  Do things the right way, play solid defense and play Indiana Basketball.
  2. To me the rebuild is over once we make it back to the NCAA tourney.  After that it is no longer rebuilding it is fine tuning and put the pieces in the right places to get to the final four and championships.  With Crean we were constantly rebuilding because he could never get us to be consistent year in and year out.  We were either really good, or really bad.  I think making the tourney is a long shot this year but could happen if the players really start buying in and playing up to their potential.  Based on the current team and signed recruits I would expect us to make the Tourney next year at the very least so to me that is a 2 year rebuild which at a school like IU, this is reasonable.  Those who are saying it will take 3-4 years I feel are vastly underrating our current team, recruits and coach.  I also feel that once we get there, we will sustain it year in a year out, also signalling the end of rebuilding for a while.

I agree with this. Especially the consistency part. I think the rebuild is over for me not just when getting an NCAA bid, but when we get 2-3 in a row. That’s consistency. That’s proven success. As for my long term expectation, I’d like to see Indiana get its intimidation back. I want teams to fear playing us again. There was a time when opposing teams/fans would see Indiana on that magnetic schedule on their fridge and mark it as a loss a month before the game was to be played. The Indiana home court advantage was so pronounced that the game was won in the locker room before tipoff. Anyway, you’re right, Duke, KU and the rest, they are not in the ship every year, but they make a run at it every 3-4 because they are in the field every time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

My expectations for year 1 is different than for the era. For this year it is to set the foundation. That goes from recruiting, style of play, and culture. I think the recruiting has set a solid base for the program moving forward. It’s been two games and I already like the half court offense better than I have since Knight. On defense there seems to be a plan but the team isn’t there yet. Which leaves the culture of the team. I heard Don Fisher say today that Archie is trying not to go crazy with the lack of pride shown by the players.  Also said some players might be sent to the end of the bench and stay there. We will likely see a steady dose of the freshmen. To be honest, I’m all for it. You have to set the tone for what the culture of the program is going to be, and set that tone early. I don’t care about wins and losses in year 1, get the foundation of the program correct and build from there. 

Moving forward, big picture view, I expect IU to be on par with the elite programs in the country. We also need to regain our seat as the top team in our own conference. This is year 3-4 at the earliest.

A rebuild is over when we make the dance, have class balance, and are set up to be consistently good. I think that starts next year at the earliest. We make the dance and add a quality, top 10 type class. 

It may be unrealistic but my "fan" goal every year at IU is to make the tournament. I will be disappointed if we don't. This is from someone that wanted Archie here very early. Do we have the talent to get there? Not my problem. I wouldn't hold talent against Archie this year at all. Constant improvement and laying the foundation for the future is the biggest thing for me both on the court and recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, zsmithey4 said:

Has Archie only been able to start implementing his system since fall practice started? I know they do summer workouts obviously but are there restrictions to what they can do then?

I posted an article from Fran Franschilla about a week ago in the College Bball thread and I was surprised to learn how little time the coaching staff actually gets to spend with the team during the summer and especially with incoming freshman.  Part of it is due to the recruiting window and time required to be on the road plus NCAA restrictions on time spent with the team and in what capacity.

On 11/14/2017 at 0:24 AM, zsmithey4 said:

Has Archie only been able to start implementing his system since fall practice started? I know they do summer workouts obviously but are there restrictions to what they can do then?

I think most of the summer on S&C coach gets to spend much time with them. Most contact is limited to 4 players, so an offense or a defense can't really work on positioning.

I think it's not until mid-october when coaches get to actually begin to coach.

I've said this before, if u have a group of kids that just don't have the killer instinct and DESIRE to learn and win, the coach isn't gonna matter.  This Hoosier team (for the most part) has never been that way.  Under Crean and now Archie.  They just dont want it bad enough.  Most of us, i assume would be THRILLED with consistant hard effort.  Then, if the talent isn't there to win most games then it is what it is.  But we don't see HARD effort.  We see give up attitude.  No emotion, win or lose.  For this reason, I'm not sweating Archies ability at all.  He took Dayton talent to the tourney a few yrs straight.  Let him get HIS kids on board and it' gonna happen.  No doubt from me.  

I've said this before, if u have a group of kids that just don't have the killer instinct and DESIRE to learn and win, the coach isn't gonna matter.  This Hoosier team (for the most part) has never been that way.  Under Crean and now Archie.  They just dont want it bad enough.  Most of us, i assume would be THRILLED with consistant hard effort.  Then, if the talent isn't there to win most games then it is what it is.  But we don't see HARD effort.  We see give up attitude.  No emotion, win or lose.  For this reason, I'm not sweating Archies ability at all.  He took Dayton talent to the tourney a few yrs straight.  Let him get HIS kids on board and it' gonna happen.  No doubt from me.  

I saw glimpses of fight in the first half at Seton Hall. For players who don't have that competitiveness naturally it'll take a bit for them. Green has it. Durham has it. Smith has a bit of it. We'll need a senior to really make that flip before we see the whole team buy in and see them compete.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I saw glimpses of fight in the first half at Seton Hall. For players who don't have that competitiveness naturally it'll take a bit for them. Green has it. Durham has it. Smith has a bit of it. We'll need a senior to really make that flip before we see the whole team buy in and see them compete.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I really feel like that could be Hartman if he can ever get and stay healthy.