Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

My Way Too Early Opinion on this Season/Team

4 minutes ago, zsmithey4 said:

Watching some Duke highlights from their first two games I don't think there is a single player on our roster that can check Marvin Bagley.

To be fair, I don't think many schools will have a single player on their roster who can check Bagley.

I will be more interested in Archie's approach and adjustments during that game.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

To be fair, I don't think many schools will have a single player on their roster who can check Bagley.

I will be more interested in Archie's approach and adjustments during that game.

Very true. Watching the highlights the guy looks like an NBA starter/all rookie team right now 

4 minutes ago, zsmithey4 said:

I think the improvement and learning curve will be very visible this year. We should see significant improvement a month from now and then I think we will see more improvement a month after that. I'm gonna go with 19 wins right now but I think that number could fluctuate. I actually think we will compete well with Seton Hall tomorrow night if we play with confidence. Pulling off a win would be huge and would definitely send this season in the right direction.

After a couple seasons, the upperclassmen will get the freshmen a head start on learning the system over the summer.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

One thing I know for sure because I have seen it with my own eyes is now that games have started Coach Miller has already started shortening practices. They go just as hard but they are shorter practices due to playing games. Coach Miller puts more focus on using video to teach the kids. He will use a 6-minute clip to show a player 4 minutes of what he is doing wrong and 2 minutes of how he is doing it right. He does this individually with each player. Crean never did any of that. He wasn't organized enough to do something like that. He didn't tell players, coaches or officials when the practice was that day till around noon the day of practice. Just a text saying can you be here at 2 for practice.  These kids have never practiced or been around someone as organized as Coach Miller. It's just totally different and going to take time to adjust too. They will either adjust, buy in or they won't be here next season. 

Crean didn't have a practice schedule.  I'm not surprised, yet somehow I am.

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Crean didn't have a practice schedule.  I'm not surprised, yet somehow I am.

"Gotta hit the tanning both real quick and then stop by Target. They have a new shipment of Diet Coke this morning. Guess whose been saving up coupons? Practice at 3:07 *basketball emoji* "

November 13, 2017
So after watching 2 games plus 1 exhibition game and Hoosier Hysteria, here is the scoop on how I see the team.
Coach Miller:  I was wrong.  I was not high on this hire from the beginning.  But after watching a team (with a lot of freshman help and with only 2-3 weeks of real practice with this new team) absolutely pick a part a zone, something we haven't seen in 9 years, was refreshing.  Seeing the substitutions make sense for a change and not scripted was a breath of fresh air.  The fact that he uses the bench as punishment and motivation, the fact that he's not afraid to ride a hot hand, and the fact that he doesn't just pace the sideline and clap excessively is wonderful change of direction.  No more stupid Big Heads that make no sense.  No more Hollywood!  Although, unless I missed it, we need to bring back Martha!  Excited for our future.  I do think with out talent though, we need to play a little faster than Archie wants to play but again, it's great to see a half court offense.......and one that works!
Team:  We need to shoot free throws until the cows come home.  That free throw shooting exhibition was absolutely terrible.  Defense needs to get better but looks much more promising than in the past 9 years.  Half court offense actually looks like an offense and that is a good thing!  We need to play a little more up tempo and get some more transition baskets but be smart about it.  We need more enthusiasm from the bench.  We were winning last night and completely looked like we were getting blown out.  Have fun out there and let it show.  Loosen up a bit.
Scholarship Players:
  • Newkirk: Not sure whats up with him, seems to have regressed.  Hope he regains what he was at the end of last year because we need it.  Needs to work on his post feeds though.  We are terrible (except for Green) feeding the post.  Needs to play fast but under control.
  • Johnson:  Needs to get his stroke back or he is absolutely worthless. Crean ruined him.  The question is can Archie fix him.  Does Archie even have the time to do that with every thing else he needs to teach this team.
  • McSwain:  He is what he is, a bruiser, rebounder but just not that good of a player.  On an ideal average IU team, he wouldn't see much, if at all, playing time but at this point we need him to be what he is for now because we are lacking depth under the basket.
  • Hartman:  Needs to get and stay healthy.  We need his leadership and shooting ability on that court.  He can spread the floor and help down low.  We are sorely missing him.  Hope is back for the Seton Hall game.
  • Priller:  Mop Up duty or desperation foul trouble.  Hasn't shown the ability to assist this team in any meaningful way.
  • Morgan:  Not playing with the same level of ability he has shown the past 2 years.  Unlucky that he rolled his ankle but it was a terrible close out to begin with so part of it is on him unfortunately.  He has to, like Hartman, find a way to stay healthy because we are going to need his presence out their 20+ minutes a game.
  • Jones:  Not sure where he disappeared to, but he needs to find himself because we certainly can use his shooting and scoring ability.  If he is unable to pull it together, he may not have a spot on this team next year.
  • Green:  He needs to play smarter as far as situations go.  He can not get into foul trouble with silly charging fouls and reaching fouls.  We need him out there 30+ minutes a game because he is the only one who can feed the interior whether it be the post or the high post.  And he makes it look easy.  He knows how to set up the entry pass and execute it.  If he was a little more mature, he would be the definite leader of this team as he should be.  He can't be on fire and disappear.  He scored the first 7 points for us against Howard and not sure if he even scored the rest of the game.
  • Davis:  He is a beast.  Has done a decent job of staying out of foul trouble.  He should be close to our scoring leader night it and night out.  I'd like to see us play more through him as we started to do in the 2nd half of the Howard game.  He has the skill to pass back out and unselfishness to do so.  
  • Durham:  Was really impressed by him in the Howard game.  Still a freshman and will make freshman mistakes but we can live with that.  If Johnson or Newkirk, don't get it figure out soon, Durham could and should take their place in the starting lineup.
  • Smith:  Was really impressed with his poise on the court.  A lot like Green last year, he seems to get and is ready for this stage.  He didn't look scared or timid, he looked ready.  If Morgan doesn't figure it out or can't stay healthy, Smith will firmly plant himself in the starting lineup if he continues to play the way he did the first 2 games.
  • Moore:  Looks timed and scared.  He needs playing time to settle down but can't be trusted in pressure situations yet.  His length will be a great asset to this team, especially to spell Davis for a few minutes here and there.  Hoping he learns quickly and "gets it" sooner rather than later because he could be of great use to this team at 6'10.
  • Thompson:  Based on what I saw in preseason and Hoosier Hysteria, I wish he was playing and wasn't being red-shirted.  Switching the red-shirt from Thompson to Moore might have been more useful this year.
Walkon Players:  Not much to say here but not sure why Vijay Blackmon wasn't even dressed for the game.  Based on what I saw from him at HH, he can really shoot.  McRoberts was in uniform but wasn't used (that I saw) in either of the first 2 games so not sure if he will have a role with this team other than practice player.  Taylor, Jager, and Lasko are typical walkons who will only see the floor in blowouts and are really only practice players.
Overall Feel:  Excited for what the future holds. 
Updated Win/Loss Record
  • Preseason Prediction = 24-6     (13-5)
  • Updated Prediction after 2 Games = 18-12     (10-8)
Bold Prediction:  If we play with passion, I feel an upset coming @Seton Hall.  GO HOOSIERS!

Great synopsis

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

When the officials were asked to show up the players had already been going for over an hour, hour an half. First time I ever was there it was so weird to officiate 10 players, 4 or 5 managers with boxing gloves on hitting offensive players. Do you call a foul? I understand he is wanting the players to become tougher but there were no parameters in what was a foul or not a foul. A manager hit a player so hard it knocked him down. Before I could call a foul, Crean comes running over yelling that's travel you have to be stronger than that. 

Crean really thought he was going to be the genius that perfected the wheel it seems. 

I would point you to what Mark Titus said about Miller. 
More or less that he is going to get on you, but in a way that lets you know he's looking out for your best interests.

Like my drill sergeants.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Crean really thought he was going to be the genius that perfected the wheel it seems. 

On one hand as nice as they come. Always how are you doing? How is your son, wife? Things like that. On the other hand, he was gods greatest gift to basketball. He knew it all and don't try to tell him anything. 

4 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I see what you’re trying to say. But that is mainly what is wrong with today’s society. Kids aren’t scared of anything bc discipline is damn near out the window with most people. Team looked dejected because, we squeaked out a win, at home, to HOWARD! Of the kids that don’t want to be here at IU, hit the door!
Kids are “coddled” too much anymore and doesn’t want to truly earn what they have. I agree with a lot of things dakich said yesterday. I’m just gonna stop there bc I don’t want to start name dropping the ones I see out there that I feel this way about. Time will tell us all very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I 100 percent agree with you on the idea with that being an issue today, being a college athlete I can say that coaches attitudes vary and I think it's obvious that Crean and Archie's philosophies vary greatly, and that could be why younger guys are doing better, because they never became used to Crean's loose personality and lack of discipline.

I think the improvement and learning curve will be very visible this year. We should see significant improvement a month from now and then I think we will see more improvement a month after that. I'm gonna go with 19 wins right now but I think that number could fluctuate. I actually think we will compete well with Seton Hall tomorrow night if we play with confidence. Pulling off a win would be huge and would definitely send this season in the right direction.

Just another example of players not giving a crap. Go to 16:20 mark of the 2nd half. Watch at least 8-10 seconds. Justin smith gets his shot blocked. Justin is the furthest from the ball when it starts going to the other end. He beats 2 of our players down the floor. I’m so sick of seeing that crap. Al was back, Smith and ddavis hustled back. Tell me if those 2 guys have heart? One of which I’ve been a very big fan of his 1st 2 seasons here. The other just let a player get position on him for the rebound. I’m so tired of it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app