Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

My Way Too Early Opinion on this Season/Team

The one thing I'm really worried about is the idea that these players are overworked, or they just don't like playing for CAM, I hope I'm wrong but that is something that scares me. I've heard things saying that he runs practices like RMK and players now might be intimidated by that... It's just really worrying to me to see a team look so dejected following a win, despite it being a really underwhelming one.

I see what you’re trying to say. But that is mainly what is wrong with today’s society. Kids aren’t scared of anything bc discipline is damn near out the window with most people. Team looked dejected because, we squeaked out a win, at home, to HOWARD! Of the kids that don’t want to be here at IU, hit the door!
Kids are “coddled” too much anymore and doesn’t want to truly earn what they have. I agree with a lot of things dakich said yesterday. I’m just gonna stop there bc I don’t want to start name dropping the ones I see out there that I feel this way about. Time will tell us all very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I like to listen to Don Fischer's talk with Dan Dakich on Mondays. He had some strong criticism of the players on today's show. Dakich had already ripped them earlier which was not unusual coming from him. But to hear Fish do that was unexpected and out of character for him. Knowing that he spends a lot of time around the program makes me wonder if things aren't as rosy as we have been led to believe.

I’ve never been under the impression that things are “Rosie”

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The shooting is bad because this team doesn’t have great shooters. There are no Blackmon’s, Zeisloft’s, Yogi’s, etc. Sometimes it’s just talent. The only really good shooters are RoJo and Hartman, but RoJo is extremely streaky and Hartman hasn’t played. 

Exactly. Also, college coaches only get so much time to practice with their players a week. We have an amazing practice facility that is open 24 hours for the players. They have no excuses to not get into the gym. 

CTC did not look for or recruit defensive players. Even the few that he brought in that could play defense never progressed. Shooters, athletic ability, and solid grades were the criteria for the most part. 

In walks CAM, with a completely different vision of how he wants to play. Defense is at the top of his list. For the upperclassmen, it is not just a matter of flipping the switch. It takes time to learn. It also takes a willingness and desire to play great defense. 

CAM is tasked with totally changing the style of play with a several key players that in the past have only concentrated on one end of the floor. Couple that with learning how to play in a half court offense, and the challenge becomes a mountain.

We will take our lumps this year as the team struggles with a new offense as well as trying to learn a new concept, defense. My bet is there is not a single member on this board, myself included, that predicted the starting five that will be introduced for our first BIG game.

By this time next year the team will have a good grasp on what is expected. Hopefully the learning curve this season will be fun to watch. Go Hoosiers!

Edited by dyedinthewool

One thing I know for sure because I have seen it with my own eyes is now that games have started Coach Miller has already started shortening practices. They go just as hard but they are shorter practices due to playing games. Coach Miller puts more focus on using video to teach the kids. He will use a 6-minute clip to show a player 4 minutes of what he is doing wrong and 2 minutes of how he is doing it right. He does this individually with each player. Crean never did any of that. He wasn't organized enough to do something like that. He didn't tell players, coaches or officials when the practice was that day till around noon the day of practice. Just a text saying can you be here at 2 for practice.  These kids have never practiced or been around someone as organized as Coach Miller. It's just totally different and going to take time to adjust too. They will either adjust, buy in or they won't be here next season. 

That’s about word for word what rabjohns said last week

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

That’s about word for word what rabjohns said last week

Cool. It is pretty well known how Crean was. It's frustrating to get that text asking you to leave your job to go officiate practice in the middle of the day instead of just having a weekly schedule like we have now. 

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

One thing I know for sure because I have seen it with my own eyes is now that games have started Coach Miller has already started shortening practices. They go just as hard but they are shorter practices due to playing games. Coach Miller puts more focus on using video to teach the kids. He will use a 6-minute clip to show a player 4 minutes of what he is doing wrong and 2 minutes of how he is doing it right. He does this individually with each player. Crean never did any of that. He wasn't organized enough to do something like that. He didn't tell players, coaches or officials when the practice was that day till around noon the day of practice. Just a text saying can you be here at 2 for practice.  These kids have never practiced or been around someone as organized as Coach Miller. It's just totally different and going to take time to adjust too. They will either adjust, buy in or they won't be here next season. 

Thanks for sharing that. I love getting insight into the mechanics of how different coaches operate. Fischer suggested that Coach Miller's approach and mentally reminded him of Coach Knight in a lot of ways. I can see a little of that, hopefully without the dark side.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Cool. It is pretty well known how Crean was. It's frustrating to get that text asking you to leave your job to go officiate practice in the middle of the day instead of just having a weekly schedule like we have now. 

I've heard stories about Crean's brutal late season practices and his brutal pregame practices. What were those like?

(If you don't feel comfortable sharing that's totally cool!)

Just now, cthomas said:

Thanks for sharing that. I love getting insight into the mechanics of how different coaches operate. Fischer suggested that Coach Miller's approach and mentally reminded him of Coach Knight in a lot of ways. I can see a little of that, hopefully without the dark side.

The language is nicer. I'm not old enough to have been at one of Coach Knight's practices but remember going to the open scrimmages with my dad and hearing words that weren't used at my house. 

You’re effing kidding me. The guy didn’t have a
schedule? How did he ever make it to HC?

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm sure the practices are DIFFERENT but nothing that Miller has said suggests they're too DIFFICULT. Again, he stated that the guys "know how to work" and has reported that practices have gone well so the idea that players are having issues in practice is unfounded. 

I mean, some of the guys that have had issues on the floor have been top practice players. Robert Johnson has won a gold jersey. I think Morgan has won two. Nothing has been said to suggest practice is an issue, Archie's own statements suggest the opposite.

2 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I see what you’re trying to say. But that is mainly what is wrong with today’s society. Kids aren’t scared of anything bc discipline is damn near out the window with most people. Team looked dejected because, we squeaked out a win, at home, to HOWARD! Of the kids that don’t want to be here at IU, hit the door!
Kids are “coddled” too much anymore and doesn’t want to truly earn what they have. I agree with a lot of things dakich said yesterday. I’m just gonna stop there bc I don’t want to start name dropping the ones I see out there that I feel this way about. Time will tell us all very soon!

Here here to generalizations!

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Definitely appreciate the insight. It's almost appalling how scatter-brained Crean was though. Now that he's gone, it seems like more and more of these stories are coming out.

Actually I was wrong. I want to give credit where credit was due. It was Snow that said it when someone asked him to share differences in a how they ran a program

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I've heard stories about Crean's brutal late season practices and his brutal pregame practices. What were those like?

(If you don't feel comfortable sharing that's totally cool!)

When the officials were asked to show up the players had already been going for over an hour, hour an half. First time I ever was there it was so weird to officiate 10 players, 4 or 5 managers with boxing gloves on hitting offensive players. Do you call a foul? I understand he is wanting the players to become tougher but there were no parameters in what was a foul or not a foul. A manager hit a player so hard it knocked him down. Before I could call a foul, Crean comes running over yelling that's travel you have to be stronger than that. 

I think the improvement and learning curve will be very visible this year. We should see significant improvement a month from now and then I think we will see more improvement a month after that. I'm gonna go with 19 wins right now but I think that number could fluctuate. I actually think we will compete well with Seton Hall tomorrow night if we play with confidence. Pulling off a win would be huge and would definitely send this season in the right direction.