Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

My Way Too Early Opinion on this Season/Team

I'm still expecting a banner...

From the NIT.

Gonna be a frustrating year, but I believe CAM is laying the right foundation to build on. We look rougher than I expected, even with the knowledge that we don't seem to have a consistent PG, but I also think we will see season long improvement instead of an end of year crash.

Despite what we lost from last year, I had higher expectations for Morgan, Johnson & Newkirk and a big step forward from Green, Jones & Davis.  So far, Jones isn't showing me anything.  Throw in the freshmen getting acclimated to D-1 ball and Hartman's injury and it is what it is and I've lowered my expectations for how the season will play out.  In one sense, we'll get a better feel for just how good of a coach Archie is as we move through the season and if he can mold the present team into a more cohesive and competitive unit in his system and style of play.  In short, are we going to be playing significantly better ball in the last 6 weeks of the season or is what we've seen in 2 games as good as it's going to get?  

My hope is that they’ll pick it up as the season goes on and that they’re just playing to the level of their competition right now. I️m excited for the seton hall game because I️ think that will be a really good measure of where we are. ISU shot the lights out and I️ believe a lot of their confidence was shot going into the Howard game and a 9 point win didn’t help much hence the dejected looking bench. They know the importance of the seton hall game, going into a hostile environment and pulling out a dub will really boost their confidence and hopefully light a fire under this team

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We gotta just lay back and enjoy the process. I don't have any expectations honestly. I just want to see constant progress to set us up for next year. If we run at the NIT and win the thing, I'll be elated for this particular group of young men. I wouldn't be good with that at all even for next year but this is a complete hall pass year for me. Just 80% invested this year, hoping for a couple upset games.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

We certainly had to go through a hell of a lot worse with the team that Crean inherited when he came in.    We'll get some things turned around and some of the shortcomings won't this season.  

Everyone ripping Blackmon last year needs to be reminded how good of an offensive player and needs to stop blaming all of our defensive shortcomings on him.

I like to listen to Don Fischer's talk with Dan Dakich on Mondays. He had some strong criticism of the players on today's show. Dakich had already ripped them earlier which was not unusual coming from him. But to hear Fish do that was unexpected and out of character for him. Knowing that he spends a lot of time around the program makes me wonder if things aren't as rosy as we have been led to believe.

I like to listen to Don Fischer's talk with Dan Dakich on Mondays. He had some strong criticism of the players on today's show. Dakich had already ripped them earlier which was not unusual coming from him. But to hear Fish do that was unexpected and out of character for him. Knowing that he spends a lot of time around the program makes me wonder if things aren't as rosy as we have been led to believe.

Elaborate!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Mostly talked about lack of pride and how Coach Miller is beside himself with the lack of effort from the team. It's up as a podcast on wfni, 1070 the fan. The first part is about the Saturday's football game and then they discuss the weeks two basketball games. I've listened to these for several years now and never recall Fish being that critical.

The idea that the practices may be too hard for the guys... I doubt it. Crean was criticized for overworking players, not underworking them. IU players that did make it to the NBA were praised for their fitness level. Archie Miller specifically complimented the previous staff when noting that the current roster knew how to work...

This is all due to an alpha dog with a plan taking over for a scatter brained coach. Fish is a member of the brand and ties the line. Crean wanted everything to always be sunshine and rainbows. CAM says what he means and means what he says. He wants everyone to know that just showing up isn't good enough. Fisch is just echoing what the coaching staff is implementing in practice. We're in for a bright future with CAM.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, Aeggie said:

The idea that the practices may be too hard for the guys... I doubt it. Crean was criticized for overworking players, not underworking them. IU players that did make it to the NBA were praised for their fitness level. Archie Miller specifically complimented the previous staff when noting that the current roster knew how to work...

Although, they could be tougher for a lot of these players at a mental or emotional level.

9 hours ago, akinnaird24 said:

Curious if the shooting has been so bad because of the amount of time they spent on trying to learn the new defense in the offseason

The shooting is bad because this team doesn’t have great shooters. There are no Blackmon’s, Zeisloft’s, Yogi’s, etc. Sometimes it’s just talent. The only really good shooters are RoJo and Hartman, but RoJo is extremely streaky and Hartman hasn’t played. 

The shooting is bad because this team doesn’t have great shooters. There are no Blackmon’s, Zeisloft’s, Yogi’s, etc. Sometimes it’s just talent. The only really good shooters are RoJo and Hartman, but RoJo is extremely streaky and Hartman hasn’t played. 

Regardless, free throw shooting shouldn't be near this bad. Hopefully we see it improve

I just listened to Don Fischer interviewed by Dakich on the ride in this morning.
I without hesitation trust Fisch's opinion, and in this case, his opinions were striking.
Fisch cited two kids on the current IU roster who play with the focus and mental toughness that is required by Coach Archie Miller: Al Durham, and Justin Smith. That's right, only two.
That's generally what I see also. The best part? I got the distinct feeling from Fisch that Archie will not stand for players that are not up to his standards, and that a player who is deemed to be 'soft' by Archie Miller is in for an unhappy existence.
https://omny.fm/shows/the-dan-dakich-show/hey-don-fischer-as-a-former-player-im-not-happy-wi

Wonder if some kids may not be a part of the team all season?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app