Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2017 College Cup

Lace up those new Predator Tangos and let’s get ready to battle! Would love to see the Panchot brothers face off in the final! Great story line....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I get my wish! 18th shutout—great Gutman goal—tough D—super saves by Muse. While we are in the championship we might as well win it all! Proud to be a Hoosier!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wow. Heart stopped as I thought UNC was going to score on the cross there with a min left. Otherwise as I have said time and time again this D can shut any attack down and did. This was a true top 5 match up. Also as I said since me going Sunday with snow tomorrow is up in air I knew IU would win. I can cancel until 90 min before my flight Sunday (6am) so I am in and wait and see but hope to be there but if not I'll be watching again and getting money back. Hopefully i'll be going but not real confident now given weather situation. 

As I said Stanford scares the tar out of me. Don't have UNC's attack but have a D that is as tough to score on as ours. I would much rather play the slightly leaky defense with the elite offense we saw tonight since I trust us to shut down any attack. I am much more worried about facing an elite D Sunday. Defense wins championships and the top 2 defenses are facing off for a title that someone's winning 1-0 or going to PK's. Bring on the "Panchot bowl".

I get my wish! 18th shutout—great Gutman goal—tough D—super saves by Muse. While we are in the championship we might as well win it all! Proud to be a Hoosier!

Austin needs to beat little bro again! Really cool story though.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-men/article/2017-12-07/college-cup-stanford-indiana-advance-sundays-national

College Cup: Stanford, Indiana advance to Sunday's national championship game in Philadelphia

NCAA.com

Last Updated - Dec 8, 2017 23:04 EST

If Friday night was any indication, Sunday afternoon's College Cup final has potential to be an all-time classic between two of the most storied programs in the sport. Stanford and Indiana both advanced to the national championship after both teams recorded shutouts in their semifinal matchups at Talen Energy Stadium in Philadelphia. The Cardinal look for their third consecutive championship while the Hoosiers aim for their first title since 2012.

With both Stanford and IU playing exceptional defense throughout the season and into the tournament, something will have to give when the two powerhourses meet on Sunday. Here's how they both got there.

Interactive bracket  | Printable bracket 

In Friday's first semifinal, Stanford topped Akron 2-0 to advance to its third consecutive national championship game behind a stellar defense effort. Stanford goalkeeper Nico Corti stopped all five shots on goal as the Zips could not find any passing lanes for the majority of Friday night's game. Foster Langsdorf scored on a header in the 26th minute and Sam Werner extended the Cardinal lead to 2-0 in the 79th minute on a shot that bounced off the top crossbar and in. Stanford will look to win their third consectuive championship Saturday evening when it faces the winner of UNC vs. IU. 

Once again defense was key in the second semifinal as the Hoosiers' top-ranked defense continued to impress as Indiana topped North Carolina 1-0. Andrew Gutman scored the only goal of the contentest when he went back-post in the 50th minute. IU goalkeeper Trey Muse stopped the Tar Heels' only two shots on goal as the freshman tied an NCAA record with his 18th shutout on the season. 

The College Cup final will kick off Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.

Schedule

Dec. 8 (Semifinals)

Stanford 2, Akron 0

Indiana 1, UNC 0

Dec. 10 (Finals)

Stanford vs. Indiana, 1 p.m., ET.

After tonight I gotta say let the higher seed host all the way through. The crowd tonight was 500 smaller than in Armstrong but since the place is 3 times bigger it looked a ghost town instead of packed like we had last weekend. Also the stadium as I said earlier looks to much like you are watching a pro match instead of a college match given its size and vastness. At least play it in a neutral site that is a college stadium if nothing else. No comparison in atmosphere when game on campus and crowd on top of you.

Since its a quick turnaround and no chance I will have time to post tomorrow here is a preview for the Stanford match. 

As Stanford always does they started the season super slow with inexplicable losses to Tulsa and Saint Louis early to open the season. However, since then they have been virtually unbeatable and given up just 9 goals all year (of which 4 were in the 2 early losses I just mentioned). Their attack is also among the best and you have to be especially careful of their forward Foster Langsdorf who has 14 Goals and 6 assists the year. They also have several guys with between 4 and 6 goals.

Overall, they are virtually a clone of us with the no. 2 defense and the no. 9 offense (we are 1 on D and 12 on O) and play a similar style. Tonight I was pretty confidant it would be us getting the goal as UNC is always good to give up a goal each game and elite D usually beats elite O and I trusted our D to shut them down. I trust our D just as much Sunday but Stanford often times does not give up a goal so I am less confident it will be us getting the score this time (I would say 50-50 who score Sunday versus tonight I would of put it 66-33 us being the ones). This one could also very well end scoreless and head to PK's given the quality of both defenses so hopefully if that happens Muse can step up one more time for us.

Important Update: Just saw on twitter they tarped the entire field in anticipation of the snow tomorrow so field should be good to go Sunday unless something strange happens. That was one worry I had were field conditions but that seems to be solved and pretty much guarantees stadium will be ready in time. Now question is will roads be cleaned and my flight get out Sunday Morning? Either way though definitively appears we will have a game Sunday so that's good.    

Looks like Stanford is gonna lose over half their total points after this year as well as their goalie. I Expect them to be especially hungry 

Aaron would you say they have reloaded for the future or would you expect them to have a rebuild. Either seems like a lot to lose

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Looks like Stanford is gonna lose over half their total points after this year as well as their goalie. I Expect them to be especially hungry 

Aaron would you say they have reloaded for the future or would you expect them to have a rebuild. Either seems like a lot to lose

Sorry not an expert on Stanford. They are usually pretty good so they may very well reload quick but I have no insight into their recruiting or watched any off their games this year to know for sure what their future holds.

I do know we will only lose Lillard for sure so we should be really good again. With that said there is somewhat of a chance Muse, Gutman and Dorsey could boot to MLS and a smaller chance Toye and Rennicks could as well. I do know we have enough depth to cover for any losses but if everyone besides Lillard returns we are almost certainly preseason no. 1 versus as low as 10-15 if we lose others as well depending on how many. We are almost certain to return Mehl, Buckmaster, Kleyn, Moore, Panchot, Swartz, Thomas and Gutjahr no matter what as well as Glass and Warr off the bench.    

12 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Sorry not an expert on Stanford. They are usually pretty good so they may very well reload quick but I have no insight into their recruiting or watched any off their games this year to know for sure what their future holds.

I do know we will only lose Lillard for sure so we should be really good again. With that said there is somewhat of a chance Muse, Gutman and Dorsey could boot to MLS and a smaller chance Toye and Rennicks could as well. I do know we have enough depth to cover for any losses but if everyone besides Lillard returns we are almost certainly preseason no. 1 versus as low as 10-15 if we lose others as well depending on how many. We are almost certain to return Mehl, Buckmaster, Kleyn, Moore, Panchot, Swartz, Thomas and Gutjahr no matter what as well as Glass and Warr off the bench.    

Fair enough thanks for the insight. Fingers crossed that Sunday is the beginning of a string of championships for our guys. 

Apparently they are filming a documentary on IU soccer a win would be a great inclusion. 

I live about 35 minutes from the stadium and so far no snow this morning.  It was supposed to start around 3am.  From what I've read, it's supposed to snow all day and into tomorrow still.  Side note...I wish I had gone into meteorology.  Is there any other job that gets paid to be wrong so often!?  :)

39 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I live about 35 minutes from the stadium and so far no snow this morning.  It was supposed to start around 3am.  From what I've read, it's supposed to snow all day and into tomorrow still.  Side note...I wish I had gone into meteorology.  Is there any other job that gets paid to be wrong so often!?  :)

As of now snow is suppose to stop around 11 p.m. tonight with a 0% chance tomorrow (who knows with weather though). They leave a large window open of like 6 hours on either side usually for the system to move through because they never know with the timing. They have also knocked the amount down from 4-6 inches to 1-3.

With all that said forecasting is a crap shoot  and anything can happen. It was suppose to be a dry weekend on east coast until Thursday when this system popped into the forecast. Meteorology like you said is the one business where you can be wrong and make a mistake half the time and keep your job.

I am hopeful to be at the game tomorrow still but we will see. If anything looks in least bit questionable I am canceling (as I said Southwest tickets are reusable anytime and can be canceled until 90 min before flight) and of course my flight could still get canceled.   

Lillard, Gutman, Thomas and Rennicks were outstanding. 

Stanford will be the best team Indiana has faced all year. Experienced, lethal attack, and a pressing defense. Indiana defenders will need to be comfortable on the ball and finding a quick outlet. 

The announcers last night struggled. When Rennicks came on the first time they claimed Indiana was bringing Toye out for a more experienced player. Not to mention they seemed confused that Lillard was a good player and couldn't settle on a pronunciation for Gutman.