Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JHoosier914

Golden Jersey Competition

I really want to start seeing some under classmen hold the jersey more.  I think this could be very telling of their maturity in the game, system and overall possible impact in game-time minutes.  Seniors/upperclassmen, in my head, SHOULD be the better practicers(?) on our team, but if we can see the younger guys stepping up, we could really see some improvement in our on-court product.

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I would like them to start announcing this on twitter

Yeah, I think that would also be a big boost for players to know that FANS know who is practicing the best.  Could also eventually be some "15 minutes of fame" for lesser minute guys...

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Culture is SO important.   It truly takes one guy to start to change culture; and one leader to screw it up.  How many years (for those of us who remember most of the Knight years) did Indiana Basketball use efficiency and fundamental sound-ness as staples?  Good shots, make more FT's than your opponent shoots; avoiding turnovers of omission and low tolerance for turnovers of commission... 

Davis and Crean both come here tolerant of turnovers as "part of the game;" and Crean also tolerant of bad shots and never seemed to hold kids accountable for mistakes.  Archie is so refreshing.  Basketball is still a game of mistakes and the team making the fewest generally wins.  As much as Crean said the right things when he arrived; Miller seems to live it and really know where he is.  An understanding of the ingrained culture is so important.  How many here remember how our crowd would cheer when our defense forced an opponent's offense to pull the ball back out and re-set?  

Indiana fans are smart.  Basketball is different here like football is different in Texas.  It's why I've maintained for years (through a litany of critics and insults) that a local recruiting focus works here and will win here.  Kids who understand the game will like things like this, especially if they're also allowed to play a fluid game which accentuates their strengths; and I see that happening, also.  We'll begin to find out tonight; and I'm truly upset the game isn't on TV because it's his first; but I think I really...REALLY like this coach.

That's very well said.  I completely agree and, while it took me a while to realize that Crean didn't value possessions or taking good shots as long as the volume was high, once I did, I dreaded watching some of those games.  CAM will take the team back to focusing on fundamentals.  Being from the Dayton area, I paid somewhat close attention to his teams for no other reason than tickets were relatively inexpensive and the stadium was 25 minutes from my house.  Really excited to finally have someone that is willing and able to change the culture of what Indiana basketball is perceived to be as of late.