Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Game Thread: Indiana State Friday 7pm BTNplus

The sycamores lost to Purdue 94-72 and BEAT like opponent Marian 84-64.

Brenton Scott, brother of Bryson is one of their best players.  This will probably be a solid test.  They trailed Purdue 41-38 at the half.  Purdue just beat WVU 89-77. 

Hoping we can up our game out of the gates and start off on the right foot. 

Just now, Stromboli said:

I agree that we need to take every game seriously.  And I rarely talk in hyperbole or absolutes.

...but we ABSOLUTELY need to handle Indiana State.  Just compare programs, resources, players, coaches' salaries, etc; and this should not be competitive.  Losing to a team like ISU should be humiliating, just as losing to IPFW was last year.  Their best player is Brenton Scott, who looks exactly like his brother, but apparently doesn't play quite as well.  Brenton, as far as I can tell, is the highest recruit they have on the team, coming in at 247 Composite 298 in 2013.  This is not the case of OG or Vic.  No one is looking for this guy to be drafted.  

2014, no ranked recruits.

2015, one ranked recruit, Bronson Kessinger, 247 Composite #373.

2016, one ranked recruit, Jordan Barnes, #420.

2017, no ranked recruits.

Do you want to know how they field a team?  You go to their website, click the "Recruits" button, and fill out this one page Prospect Questionnaire.  http://www.gosycamores.com/documents/2016/10/21/MBBProspects.pdf

I'm all for tempering expectations for the season a bit.  I'll agree that our guys need to "learn the system," but let's call a spade a spade; 5 of our players should be able to beat their 5 players 10 times out of 10.  We've got 10 guys that could be their best player.  We've got facilities, a coaching staff being paid top 10 in the country, and very talented players.  This should hardly be a test.  

So, I suppose, what I'd like to see is some of the new coach's demeanor rubbing off on his players, and the guys walk out there and handle their business.  Shut them down, put teams on blast that playing Indiana will not be fun.  

Accurate post. IU needs to send a message right away that they’re a different team and program with Archie at the helm

1 hour ago, wirenuts said:

They really need to quit this BTN plus crap

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Napleshoosier said:

Wish I could like this 1000 times. That's crap guys!!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Be fortunate IU only has 1 game on there. Doing some quick research, Maryland and Minnesota have 3 games on there, O$U have 4, Illini have 5.

33 minutes ago, KB0 said:

Extremely happy to see this game on the schedule again. I think playing in-state opponents is great for fans and players. Would love to replace some of our out of conference games for Ball State, IUPUI, etc. 

Yes, I would especially like to replace the "I have never even heard of the school" games like Houston Baptist with Ball State, Evansville etc.

I still haven't seen enough out of either team to know who should have the advantage. On paper, the Hoosiers are the better team. Top to bottom? This is the most athletic Sycamore team in, well, since I have been following them since 1996. If the Hoosiers come out flat, they could be in for a long night. Scott is the Sycamores best player by far, but, he can be a bit out of control, which could help the Hoosiers. I hate these games. Being a life-long IU fan, but a Sycamore grad. Give me good basketball, and I'll be happy at the end of the night. 

Having said that, Hoosiers win comfortably. Just my guess.

25 minutes ago, pappy1865 said:

I still haven't seen enough out of either team to know who should have the advantage. On paper, the Hoosiers are the better team. Top to bottom? This is the most athletic Sycamore team in, well, since I have been following them since 1996. If the Hoosiers come out flat, they could be in for a long night. Scott is the Sycamores best player by far, but, he can be a bit out of control, which could help the Hoosiers. I hate these games. Being a life-long IU fan, but a Sycamore grad. Give me good basketball, and I'll be happy at the end of the night. 

Having said that, Hoosiers win comfortably. Just my guess.

Also a graduate of ISU but from the late '60's. Also a lifelong IU basketball fan. I don't usually follow the "Trees" too closely but I will watch a game now then if I find it on the tube. My only actual connection to IU is the semester I spent on campus in the spring of '76 while working on my Masters degree. 

Mailman will be in the Hall for this one. Even though I graduating in 2001 from ISU I will be in my IU gear. Last game i was in attendance between these 2 I was a student at ISU when Menser drained the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners