Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Game Thread: Indiana State Friday 7pm BTNplus

43 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Robert Johnson played 36 minutes. He didn’t get yanked ever. 

Actually he did. Like I said elsewhere, when DG, Cuju, and JN are all playing badly and you can't go into your walking in game one, Johnson is going to play. He has played well in practice. It's just not translating over. You need fame film to show the team. But yes let's use Johnson as the example of the bench not being used as a tool. Get over being pissed off that they lost. The team had some bright spots and are learning. This is a process and anyone who thought just changing Crean would fix a basketball cultural issue over the past 9 years, clearly doesn't realize how drastic a change Archie Miller's style is over Crean. 

In better news, the Trees will win The Valley if they shoot like that all year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No reason they can’t be top 3 this year. Loyola seems to be the team to beat. Lansing might save his job this year because his seat was getting hot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I️ was REALLY looking forward to the Hoosiers getting me through the winter after the Colts debacle.
Can’t wear Colts or Hoosier gear until it turns around.
Jacoby and De’Ron are bright spots but need some HELP!!!

If they shoot like they did last night they'll do a lot more than just winning the Valley. I'm not sure another team shoots 17-22 from deep all year. Most were good looks but some were complete crap.

I doubt their 3PT% gets anywhere close to that the rest of the year.

My sarcasm didn’t come through lol. My bad. That was unbelievable though. I’ll have to get to the Hulman Center this year.

2 hours ago, pumpfake said:

4. Let's face it, we lost our 3 best players from the previous season and don't have a roster full of difference makers.  There's a reason why we are projected to finish in the bottom half of the conference.

Yeah this is the most glaring problem imo.  I started getting concerned when we fell behind by 20, looking at our roster wondering who the guy to bring us back would be.  That's when I realized there just isn't one.

No Yogi, no Blackmon, no Bryant, not even a Troy Williams instant offense type of player.

We just don't have a go-to offensive player right now.  And it doesn't help that our defense is really bad.

9 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Robert Johnson played 36 minutes. He didn’t get yanked ever. 

I still believe that was a trial by fire. Archie was gonna put guys on the bench for dumb plays, but wasn't going to let 'the leader' off easy by giving him the 2nd half off.

There were literally zero bright spots in this game. We made Indiana State look like that Golden State Warriors. It was trash from the beginning. This team doesn’t have any senior leadership and the two best player are role playing sophomores. Long season ahead. 
The only way I see this team making the tourney is by 3 miracles. 
1. Robert Johnson gets a kick in the arse and becomes a good basketball player and not just a random body on the floor. As well as becoming a true leader. 
2. Devonte Green becomes Shabazz Napier and just carries this team on his shoulders and goes insane on offense all year. 
3. De’Ron Davis becomes an old school low post machine and we just start throwing him the rock as he averages 20 and 10 a game and becomes an All American. 
The problem with these is that RJ looks asleep and uninterested for whatever reason. Green isn’t the talent Napier was his senior year obviously. He is only a sophomore so that is expected. And DD becoming that type of big man just makes too much sense for basketball right now and this team doesn’t have that type of game plan. One day though, the low post scoring machine will make its way back to college basketball. The big man will rise again. It is happening in the NBA already. It’ll come back eventually. 

What big man is dominating the NBA with low post scoring? The big man is nonexistent in that sense.

I didn't mean big guys just dominating in the post, although guys like Boogie Cousins and Joel Embiid are dominant when in the post. But the NBA has its deepest talent group of big men it has ever seen. And it'll come back around to college eventually where big men well greatly utilized. 

Boogie shoots too many 3s and jumpers for me to consider him an old school big.

The 6-8 to 7 foot versatile big is the way of the NBA. I don't see it going back to the Hakeem, Ewing, Shawn days of big men dominating on the low block. I see those types of bigs working on their shooting and handles to play on the perimeter and dribble drive.

5 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

There were literally zero bright spots in this game. We made Indiana State look like that Golden State Warriors. It was trash from the beginning. This team doesn’t have any senior leadership and the two best player are role playing sophomores. Long season ahead. 

The only way I see this team making the tourney is by 3 miracles. 

1. Robert Johnson gets a kick in the arse and becomes a good basketball player and not just a random body on the floor. As well as becoming a true leader. 

2. Devonte Green becomes Shabazz Napier and just carries this team on his shoulders and goes insane on offense all year. 

3. De’Ron Davis becomes an old school low post machine and we just start throwing him the rock as he averages 20 and 10 a game and becomes an All American. 

The problem with these is that RJ looks asleep and uninterested for whatever reason. Green isn’t the talent Napier was his senior year obviously. He is only a sophomore so that is expected. And DD becoming that type of big man just makes too much sense for basketball right now and this team doesn’t have that type of game plan. One day though, the low post scoring machine will make its way back to college basketball. The big man will rise again. It is happening in the NBA already. It’ll come back eventually. 

Bright spots:

•Making more FT than the opponent attempted

•Davis looks to have improved from last year. 

•Al Durham has some fight to him. 

You don't get blown out without some major issues...turnovers and poor defense. So yes there is improvements to be had. You also have to tip your hat to ISU for draining some 3s that were contested. 

Where does Archie go from here? It can pretty much only go up, but he has a challenge ahead of him to get this team ship righted. I am glad there is a game tomorrow, so no one has to think on that game for very long.

20 minutes ago, bleedhoosier said:

I'm interested to see if Archie tweaks his system a bit to better fit this Crean personnel. Maybe turn up the tempo on offense and instill just a traditional man defense. Or, if he sticks to his guns (system).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I want him to stick to the system. They need to learn it. I just hope he punishes lack of effort 

I want him to stick to the system. They need to learn it. I just hope he punishes lack of effort 

Agreed. And I think he'll punish it based on his post game presser. And I hope the team knows it and is ready to earn some redemption. Yes, it's Howard, but beating them like you should instead of playing to the level of the competition will be the first step forward.

Also, some floor leadership would be nice.

I would suspect if we don't see better effort and execution from the upperclassmen their minutes will decrease. Archie said it takes a few years to really understand the D so why get the young guys more game to start this learning curve earlier