Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Al Durham - Lavrio (Greece)

4 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I'm sure it's already in this thread, but it bears repeating.

Gotta give credit to Crean for identifying Durham and landing him early.  Durham and Yante Maten are examples of those lower-ranked guys that he had an eye for.

Absolutely.  The article recently posted in the OG thread gives some insight into Crean/Martin identifying talent.  I wonder if all the hype about Clifton Moore will pan out.  

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If Davis can develop some consistency we look to have some real parts for a team in 2019

Davis has to improve some athleticism, if that's possible.  He's so slow.

I love his game and fundamentals, but he's gotta put in even more work in the weight room after this year.

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Nice piece from Pete DiPrimio on Al and his progression from freshman to sophmore year.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/12/12/mens-basketball-diprimio-durham-showing-his-hoosier-value.aspx

His improvement has been obvious and he's helped the team generally speaking.  It does make me wonder about DaVonte Green, though.

Al Durham and Robert Phinisee make me believe we won’t need 5* guards in the 2019 class. With another year in the system, I believe both will be capable shooters, as well as, facilitators. I’m pleased with the progress we’ve seen from Al.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

He has been a pleasant surprise with his shot and more of a cerebral player which is a big plus. He has decent size to combo and can be a steadying force moving forward. 

I believe he's the type of 4 year guard I'd like to see at IU. He was solid getting to the paint and finishing with his right hand last season. His shooting has gotten better. I'd like to see him add more to his game each year while polishing the things he's doing well.

If we could have a backcourt that is respectable from range that'll give more room for post players to operate and slashers lanes to get easy buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Al Durham and Robert Phinisee make me believe we won’t need 5* guards in the 2019 class. With another year in the system, I believe both will be capable shooters, as well as, facilitators. I’m pleased with the progress we’ve seen from Al.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I would argue (and yeah, I know I'm biased because I flat love the kid) that Phinisee is damned close to a 5* guard.    I also don't know that I want a 5* kid at that position who's a score first player.   I don't think that's a winning recipe.

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I would argue (and yeah, I know I'm biased because I flat love the kid) that Phinisee is damned close to a 5* guard.    I also don't know that I want a 5* kid at that position who's a score first player.   I don't think that's a winning recipe.

He's better than a 5* guard; he's gonna be one of the top point guards in the college game, but his lack of hyper-athleticism will keep him in college for four years. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He's better than a 5* guard; he's gonna be one of the top point guards in the college game, but his lack of hyper-athleticism will keep him in college for four years. 

You know, funny you should say that.    I was just talking yesterday with a friend (coach) of mine and said the same thing...that he'll be a 4 year college kid.   There's just something.....missing (?) from his game that may not afford him an NBA opportunity for a few years; and I can't put my finger on it.   Yogi, for example, didn't have hyper-athletic ability, either.  As a freshman, was a similar shooter.    Phinisee is very athletic and explosive when he needs to be.  I think that part of his game is under-rated.   But hyper athletic he is not.  Is that what's missing?   Could be that...   I also think he's a little too unselfish to be an early entry NBA guy.  Not assertive enough, maybe?

But he can handle the ball well enough.  He is a developing shooter.  He can guard.  He can rebound.   Hard to put a finger on it...but I agree absolutely he'll be around a while; and I love it.   I said when he committed I wanted him as much or more than Romeo; and I am very proud to stand by that comment.

4 hours ago, Old Friend said:

You know, funny you should say that.    I was just talking yesterday with a friend (coach) of mine and said the same thing...that he'll be a 4 year college kid.   There's just something.....missing (?) from his game that may not afford him an NBA opportunity for a few years; and I can't put my finger on it.   Yogi, for example, didn't have hyper-athletic ability, either.  As a freshman, was a similar shooter.    Phinisee is very athletic and explosive when he needs to be.  I think that part of his game is under-rated.   But hyper athletic he is not.  Is that what's missing?   Could be that...   I also think he's a little too unselfish to be an early entry NBA guy.  Not assertive enough, maybe?

But he can handle the ball well enough.  He is a developing shooter.  He can guard.  He can rebound.   Hard to put a finger on it...but I agree absolutely he'll be around a while; and I love it.   I said when he committed I wanted him as much or more than Romeo; and I am very proud to stand by that comment.

Rob Phinisee is “pretty good at everything”, plus there's one important attribute that he’s already showing he can be truly great at: basketball IQ.

Rob Phinisee is “pretty good at everything”, plus there's one important attribute that he’s already showing he can be truly great at: basketball IQ.

I think we’ll also see him excel at leadership. I could see this being his team as early as next season.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app