Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

The thing that I like about the IU-PU rivalry is that it is a rivalry in every sport. That can't be said for a lot of other prominent rivalries that we hear about. Is Ohio State-Michigan a rivalry in baseball? Is Florida-Tennessee a rivalry in basketball? There's something extra when it is in-state and in the same conference, ala USC/UCLA, Michigan/Michigan State, etc. 

I will say this, IU and Maryland are likely going to be rivals in some capacity going forward. In basketball both will be players in the conference, we'll be going at it with them in the Big 10 East for who will likely play spoiler against the brand name football programs, and both schools have tremendous soccer programs. Not to mention their sole championship in basketball came against us. 

9 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I don’t like fans like that either. You either root for your school or you don’t. Picking and choosing sports at different schools just doesn’t sit right with me.

Agreed. I couldn’t imagine rooting for one team for football and another for basketball. 

10 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

The thing that I like about the IU-PU rivalry is that it is a rivalry in every sport. That can't be said for a lot of other prominent rivalries that we hear about. Is Ohio State-Michigan a rivalry in baseball? Is Florida-Tennessee a rivalry in basketball? There's something extra when it is in-state and in the same conference, ala USC/UCLA, Michigan/Michigan State, etc. 

I will say this, IU and Maryland are likely going to be rivals in some capacity going forward. In basketball both will be players in the conference, we'll be going at it with them in the Big 10 East for who will likely play spoiler against the brand name football programs, and both schools have tremendous soccer programs. Not to mention their sole championship in basketball came against us. 

Well said. You and Maryland can have that soccer rivalry since we don’t have a team haha

For me, I would say puke is our biggest rival. I just can't stand their fan base. Since I don't live in Indiana I never really run into PU fans which is probably why I have them behind uk. puke fans however are everywhere and they're all hard to reason with about anything

34 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

I wish we played Kentucky in football and basketball every year. We did when I was at IU and it was great. It is good to have a rivalry with a legitimately high profile school with an even greater tradition than ours. Purdue is not up to par in that area.

I understand your view from a basketball standpoint since UK is obviously a blue blood but not in football. They are sub .500 in football and don’t really have much tradition. 

In football? How long ago? I don’t renrmber it being a big deal when I was growing up in the 90’s and 2000’s. 

Just large attendance for both schools when they played each other. I mean think about the non conf game it would replace for us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agreed. I couldn’t imagine rooting for one team for football and another for basketball. 

It's really easy actually. :)

When I was a kid I didn't even know IU had a football program. I loved football, Michigan was on TV every week, so I've been a fan since I was like 3-4 years old. 

My grandfather got me into IU basketball around the age of 10, so early 90's. I'm not a fair weather fan either, so I stick with my childhood teams. I do pull for IU football now, but not when they play Michigan.  

I can’t stand the turn jacket fans. Looking at you Notre Dame football/IU basketball fans

Ho ho HOOOOOLD ON. Sometimes it’s just the way you were raised. I spent a lot of time with my grandpa and he was a huge IU basketball fan/ Notre Dame football fan. I like Notre Dame football but I’m way more passionate about IU football.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Fair, but if you went to school at IU Bloomington then no reversible jackets anymore? Alumni status/affiliation has to trump childhood fan hood, no?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not for me. I was an IU basketball fan way before I went and got a degree from Indiana St. The year Menser hit the shot to beat IU I was in the ISU student section with my fraternity brothers wearing my IU gear. I was probably the only student in the student section that didn’t rush the court. I still get crap from my old fraternity brothers when we get together about that game. IU basketball trumps alumni status for me

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I don’t really care how many teams you cheer for. I can’t stand ND fans regardless.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

Can't stand them? Wow. Those are your neighbors. One of nicest, down to earth, humble  doctors I know is a ND alumn and fan. Honestly, one of the best men I've ever met. I don't like ND football. 

Fair, but if you went to school at IU Bloomington then no reversible jackets anymore? Alumni status/affiliation has to trump childhood fan hood, no?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

My grandfather was a sports fan first and foremost. He followed and liked most of the regional teams besides puke. I watched, and cheered, during a lot of Norte Dame football games growing up. I also rooted for IU. I attended IU and went to every home football game I could.

Yeah, I grew up a Michigan sports fan (hockey, BB (fab5)and football). They had that cool factor. I was always an iubb fan though too. Indifferent towards ND.

Anyway, going to IU, I became an IU fanatic. IU for all sports 4ever.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners