Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Exhibition Game Thread: UIndy - Sunday, Nov. 5

Yeah, I know it's really early to start this thread, but I saw this article on UIndy and thought it was a good way to kick this thread off.

http://athletics.uindy.edu/news/2017/10/27/mens-basketball-hounds-ranked-preseason-no-15-by-basketball-times.aspx

INDIANAPOLIS – The UIndy men's basketball finds itself in another preseason top-20 poll, as Basketball Times released its rankings on Friday afternoon. The Greyhounds, after being named the preseason No. 19 team by the DII bulletin earlier this month, is ranked No. 15 in the Basketball Times NCAA Division II poll.

UIndy is a really nice school- my oldest daughter will be attending there.  We took a tour (walking), and went to each building on campus in less than 1.5 hours, lol.  You can't make it through the Union at IU in that time!  But, UIndy has a great coach, should put up more resistance than Marian.  My daughter is mad at me since I won't wear anything UIndy tomorrow!

Head Coaching Record

Year School Win  Loss Pct. Accomplishments
2016-17 UIndy 16 12 .571 GLVC Second Round
2015-16 UIndy 21 8 .724 NCAA Second Round
2014-15 UIndy 25 6 .806 NCAA Sweet 16
2013-14 UIndy 24 5 .827 NCAA Second Round, GLVC Coach of the Year
2012-13 UIndy 20 9 .690 NCAA First Round
2011-12 UIndy 20 9 .690 NCAA Second Round
2010-11 UIndy 19 9 .679 NCAA First Round
2009-10 UIndy 12 16 .429  
2008-09 UIndy 9 18 .333  
Overall   166 92 .643  

31 minutes ago, mamasa said:

UIndy is a really nice school- my oldest daughter will be attending there.  We took a tour (walking), and went to each building on campus in less than 1.5 hours, lol.  You can't make it through the Union at IU in that time!  But, UIndy has a great coach, should put up more resistance than Marian.  My daughter is mad at me since I won't wear anything UIndy tomorrow!

Head Coaching Record

2009-10 UIndy 12 16 .429  
2008-09 UIndy 9 18 .333  
Overall   166 92 .643  

Weren't they known years ago as Indiana Central?

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

Head Coaching Record

2009-10 UIndy 12 16 .429  
2008-09 UIndy 9 18 .333  
Overall   166 92 .643  

Yep, nice school.  Lots of happy alums from there.

I'll admit, I didn't know/consider that they were Division II.  So I saw your list of accomplishments and it gave me a minute of pause.  How the heck did I not know about all the NCAA success?  Nevermind!!  D-2.  

I can't wait to watch the game.  Just a little tidbit for everyone discussing starting line-ups...  Please refer to Archie's comments on the radio show.  (I didn't listen, just got the recap from ITH.)  Basically Archie isn't a fan of announcing the starting line-up.  Instead he preferred, at Dayton, to announce starters in the huddle before the game.  I don't think he considers starting as important as which players get minutes as the game goes.  Also, the point of this stuff isn't necessarily to play our absolute best.  He's still learning the team, and so line-ups are more experiments than anything.

My hopes:

- Justin Smith gets an alley-oop or put-back jam.  Clifton gets 3 blocks.  Al gets another ice bath.  

- RoJo finds his shot.  Yeesh.

- We start identifying patterns on offense and defense.  Somebody posted a video of Archie's offensive system recently, showing how the point guard shows the other 4 what they're going to do based on his first basketball move:  Flip, Spin, Through.  Really interesting.  You could absolutely see the PGs doing that against Marian.  Video posted below.  Watch for some of this Sunday.  He talks about "working the pairs."  So one ball handler, the other four split into pairs with screens, movement.  I think we'll still be a mess during the non-conference games, but it will clean up.

- No injuries.  Please. 

Great school. I almost went there (twice!) but never pulled the trigger. Outstanding athletic facilities thanks to the Giants using UIndy while practicing for the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

UIndy Roster (sorry for the layout, had to edit a lot)

3 KYLEN BUTLER             GUARD 6'4" 185 LBS JUNIOR DANVILLE, IL DANVILLE TUSCULUM

5 ALEX ETHERINGTON   GUARD/FORWARD 6'5" 210 LBS REDSHIRT SENIOR CICERO, IN HAMILTON HEIGHTS INDIANA STATE

10 JESSE KEMPSON       FORWARD 6'7" 240 LBS  JUNIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN HERITAGE CHRISTIAN

11 JIMMY KING               GUARD 6'4" 175 LBS  JUNIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN RONCALLI

14 CJ HARDAWAY JR.    GUARD 6'2" 170 LBS  JUNIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN WARREN CENTRAL SAINT JOSEPH'S COLLEGE

20 AJAY LAWTON           GUARD 6'0" 174 LBS REDSHIRT SR WESTFIELD, IN WESTFIELD HS KIRKWOOD COMMUNITY COLLEGE

21 MILES WAYER            GUARD 6'0" 170 LBS  SOPHOMORE MCCORDSVILLE, IN MT. VERNON (FORTVILLE) HIGH SCHOOL

22 JABREE BOND-FLOURNOY  GUARD 5'9" 150 LBS  SENIOR DECATUR, IL EISENHOWER

23 KHADRE LANE          GUARD/FORWARD 6'5" 195 LBS  JUNIOR LAWRENCE, KS LAWRENCE FREE STATE CAMPBELL

24 TATE HALL                GUARD 6'6" 200 LBS  SOPHOMORE GREENFIELD, IN GREENFIELD-CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL

25 MILOS CABARKAPA CENTER 7'0" 245 LBS  REDSHIRT SENIOR BELGRADE, SERBIA IMPACT ACADEMY CENTRAL MICHIGAN

30 ERIC DAVIDSON       GUARD 6'1" 165 LBS   SENIOR FISHERS, IN HAMILTON SOUTHEASTERN

31 TREVOR LAKES        FORWARD 6'7" 230 LBS  FRESHMAN LEBANON, IN LEBANON HIGH SCHOOL

32 RODERICK DAVIS    CENTER 6'9" 230 LBS  SENIOR BRANDON, FL BRANDON HIGH SCHOOL WRIGHT STATE

33 KEEGAN NORTHERN  FORWARD 6'8" 210 LBS  REDSHIRT FRESHMAN MARTINSVILLE, IN MARTINSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL

34 DEMARRE SIMS       GUARD 5'10" 163 LBS   SOPHOMORE JEFFERSONVILLE, IN JEFFERSONVILLE HIGH SCHOOL

44 DEVIN DIXON            FORWARD 6'8" 260 LBS  CARMEL, IN CATHEDRAL SAGINAW VALLEY

• UIndy enters the season ranked 15th (Basketball Times) and 19th (DII Bulletin)  in NCAA Division II Preseason Polls  and is a member of the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

•  UIndy senior forward Alex Etherington is the brother of former Hoosier Austin Etherington.

Game Day--Fire Up Hoosiers! Can't wait to see Collin and Al in their first 2017 action...interesting to hear Archie talk about going small at times with 3 guards and Collin and Juwan inside. I remember when Collin got some post time in the past --another wrinkle we can throw at teams when our bigs are struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners