Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

Volleyball vs Maryland 10/27 7 pm

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm completely out of touch when it comes to the women's volleyball program but how could we do so well in non-conference play and stink so badly in B1G play?  Was the level of competition that significantly different?

Yes. The Big Ten is the best volleyball conference in the country every year. IU played a weak non conference schedule where every team they played out of conference (besides Rutgers who they beat) was worse than every conference opponent. IU is maybe the worst team in the Big Ten. Maryland is one of the worst teams in the Big ten and one of the more winnable games but we lost to them at home already so not optimistic. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Thanks Aaron.  Had no idea our program was that far down or that the B1G was that strong.

I'll expand on that. We had a good run and were mid-pack of Big Ten in 2008-2010 when we had Ashley Benson (Kent Benson's daughter) who was best player in program history. 2010 we even made NCAA tourney which is extremely rare for the team and got all the way to the sweet 16 of the tourney.

Since Ashley left we have won anywhere from 1 to just 6 conference games (out of 20) and have been towards the bottom. This year has been especially bad and I am not sure if we win another game.